The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Should they have abandoned Janeway's babies?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
Janeway and Paris evolved not de-evolved , if I recall correctly.
I stand corrected. They went into some kind of speeded up evolution.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 11-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin' Wolf View Post
Never mind it's Voyager.
That sums it up nicely. But to be fair, we can't be sure that these are no higher life forms, only because they are butt ugly. Check out your respective national governance to confirm this.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Most everyone refers to them as newts, I guess I've fallen into that trap where if you hear it enough you start thinking the same thing.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin' Wolf View Post
How does a higher life form evolve into a lower life form? Never mind it's Voyager.
The idea of evolution or natural selection is that a mutation that is beneficial allows a particular organism to perhaps have a better chance of survival than others of it's kind that don't have the mutation. That doesn't really occur here so I'm not really sure if it should be termed evolution...

[quote=Howlin' Wolf;278160]Most everyone refers to them as newts, I guess I've fallen into that trap where if you hear it enough you start thinking the same thing.[quote]

I'd call them newts, as good as description as any.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Captain

In my culture newts are highly adored.
We have special places where we praise them :

Old 11-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Commander

Nice, never knew they had such admirers.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
Sadly Star Trek seems to have a habit of moving quickly on past issues you think would permeate through someones life for years, is why I'm pleased 'Family' in TNG explored Picards recovery after being assimilated.
Just as well, in this case. The only thing worse than seeing possibly the all-time worst episode of a franchise, is being forced to acknowledge that it happened. 'Threshold' never happened. It was somebody's bad dream.

However, you've brought up an interesting point. I know everyone just loves the TNG's 'The Inner Light', however it's a prime example of how Star Trek is usually too episodic for it's own good. Picard lived an entire lifetime on an alien world in just a couple of minutes, and even remembered how to play the recorder afterward. And he's supposed to just go into next week's episode pretending like he also still remembers how to command a starship? I don't buy it. I didn't buy it when I first saw it either.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:23 AM
Commander

Quote:
However, you've brought up an interesting point. I know everyone just loves the TNG's 'The Inner Light', however it's a prime example of how Star Trek is usually too episodic for it's own good. Picard lived an entire lifetime on an alien world in just a couple of minutes, and even remembered how to play the recorder afterward. And he's supposed to just go into next week's episode pretending like he also still remembers how to command a starship? I don't buy it. I didn't buy it when I first saw it either.
That's a very good example, a life changing experience forgotten in a few weeks. It makes sense from a production point of view, stories get pitched all the time and big changes to the status quo, especially in episodic television can't be made each week by individual writers. Is just the way it is I guess.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
Just as well, in this case. The only thing worse than seeing possibly the all-time worst episode of a franchise, is being forced to acknowledge that it happened. 'Threshold' never happened. It was somebody's bad dream.

Well, that's episodic TV. His 'real' memories were not ruined or altered in any way and the whole event took only 25 minutes in 'real' time.

It was more a communication. Once that link had been broken his own memories etc came back to the fore.

At worse, it's no harder to accept than Uhura's total memory wipe by Nomad (that was not reversed) and her being back on the bridge the next episode fully re-educated and with memories intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
That's a very good example, a life changing experience forgotten in a few weeks. It makes sense from a production point of view, stories get pitched all the time and big changes to the status quo, especially in episodic television can't be made each week by individual writers. Is just the way it is I guess.
I see the point there, and I can agree with it, however there's also a balance to be struck between ackowledging things that have happened to characters and continuing the show in question.

'The Inner Light' is a great show (and was followed up in 'Lessons' as a matter of fact) but if then all Picard did was live reflecting on that life it would have an impact on his 'real' life on the ship.

There's a sense given in 'Lessons' that Picard has chosen to treat that experience as an intensely private one that he does not freely share with everyone.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Well they were hyper-evolved humans...from Starfleet parents, so they'll be fine!

In fact I remember a story in the Strange New Worlds anthologies that featured them.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q