The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > Guinan as a complement to Q ?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-01-2009, 08:14 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default Guinan as a complement to Q ?

I have recently rewatched parts of TNG's second season and in "Q Who?" we learn that Q and Guinan hate each other and that Guinan has supposedly extraordinary powers which later episodes like "Yesterday's Enterprise" emphasize.
In "Time's Arrow" Guinan we furthermore learn that Guinan has been on Earth for some time (a potential story in the fifth season of ENT with her might have established that she has been on Earth from the 19th to the 22nd century). One could claim that she is mildly fascinated by humankind and offers especially Picard crucial insights, not unlike Q. The difference between them is that Q forces himself upon Picard whereas Guinan either waits until someone asks her for help or gently makes her point.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,990
Default

One thing that always struck me about Guinan and Q was that she seemed to have the ability to defend herself against him. At one point he looks like he is about to use his powers on her and she puts her hands up in a defensive posture. There is certainly more to her than we know.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-01-2009, 08:35 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

It's interesting that, although a significant past history was hinted at on several occasions, it never got spelled out specifically.

And also, Guinan's - or more specifically El-Aurian's abilities in general were never really spelled out either. We know they have some special gifts, but quite what they are is never answered.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-01-2009, 08:46 AM
NCC-73515's Avatar
NCC-73515 NCC-73515 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 7,229
Default

I guess she was a member of the Continuum Intelligence Agency and just pretended to be El-Aurian
__________________


"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
It's interesting that, although a significant past history was hinted at on several occasions, it never got spelled out specifically.

And also, Guinan's - or more specifically El-Aurian's abilities in general were never really spelled out either. We know they have some special gifts, but quite what they are is never answered.
To me, it seemed that Guinan's special ability was to generally notice when something was amiss--either with individual people or with certain events. If anything, Guinan seemed to have some knowledge of the future (or at least an ability to see things in the grander scheme of things) and would occasionally give Picard and others friendly advice if they were going down the wrong path.

Such a thing would be keeping with Q's disdain of her if he considered her a meddler in certain galactic affairs, IMO...
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:46 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
To me, it seemed that Guinan's special ability was to generally notice when something was amiss--either with individual people or with certain events. If anything, Guinan seemed to have some knowledge of the future (or at least an ability to see things in the grander scheme of things) and would occasionally give Picard and others friendly advice if they were going down the wrong path.

Such a thing would be keeping with Q's disdain of her if he considered her a meddler in certain galactic affairs, IMO...
That's quite true - but how she and Q came to really be so fractious with each other is still generally unknown. It's hinted at having been deeper than mere disdain.

Also since Q is depicted as quite the meddler himself, it might make more sense the other way around - if Guinan, or her people, somehow had an ability to get in the way of his meddling.

And, as noted before, she takes a physically defensive stance against him - as if she has some method of physical defence against a Q.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-02-2009, 05:20 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Makes me wonder if other El Aurians have had run in's with the Q.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-02-2009, 05:53 AM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore
To me, it seemed that Guinan's special ability was to generally notice when something was amiss--either with individual people or with certain events. If anything, Guinan seemed to have some knowledge of the future (or at least an ability to see things in the grander scheme of things) and would occasionally give Picard and others friendly advice if they were going down the wrong path.

Such a thing would be keeping with Q's disdain of her if he considered her a meddler in certain galactic affairs, IMO...
That's quite true - but how she and Q came to really be so fractious with each other is still generally unknown. It's hinted at having been deeper than mere disdain.

Also since Q is depicted as quite the meddler himself, it might make more sense the other way around - if Guinan, or her people, somehow had an ability to get in the way of his meddling.
That's exactly what I'm suggesting. One thing a meddler simply can't stand is another meddler because they'll inevitably work at cross-purposes, IMO. In Guinan and Q's previous encounters, Guinan may have spoiled whatever mischief he was up to during those occasions, so naturally he wouldn't like her very much. As Guinan was an admitted traveler, she could have left her mark on quite a few worlds and civilizations...
Quote:
And, as noted before, she takes a physically defensive stance against him - as if she has some method of physical defence against a Q.
It may very well have been that the original intent in that scene was to suggest that Guinan--or her then-unnamed people at the time--had secret powers and abilities strong enough to keep Q at bay (a "battle of sorcerers" might have broken out in Ten-Forward if cooler heads hadn't prevailed).

But by the time Generations rolled around, the El-Aurians were generally just a very long-lived race though. In hindsight, though, it's possible that Guinan's special knowledge of future events may have been a manifestation of a part of her still residing in the Nexus...
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-02-2009, 09:45 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
That's exactly what I'm suggesting. One thing a meddler simply can't stand is another meddler because they'll inevitably work at cross-purposes, IMO. In Guinan and Q's previous encounters, Guinan may have spoiled whatever mischief he was up to during those occasions, so naturally he wouldn't like her very much. As Guinan was an admitted traveler, she could have left her mark on quite a few worlds and civilizations...
My apologies, I read it as you implying the reverse.

Quote:
It may very well have been that the original intent in that scene was to suggest that Guinan--or her then-unnamed people at the time--had secret powers and abilities strong enough to keep Q at bay (a "battle of sorcerers" might have broken out in Ten-Forward if cooler heads hadn't prevailed).

But by the time Generations rolled around, the El-Aurians were generally just a very long-lived race though. In hindsight, though, it's possible that Guinan's special knowledge of future events may have been a manifestation of a part of her still residing in the Nexus...
That's quite possible a theory.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
My apologies, I read it as you implying the reverse.
No apologies necessary. We were both on the same page.
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.