The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I have doubts about this movie.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Commander

My only assumption at this time is that that corridor picture is probably the Enterprise, considering it's on the ncc-1701.com site. That's all I'm prepared to assume at this point.

I'd say my expectations are higher for this film than the last two. Different regime at the helm and more to be excited about, in my opinion. My expectations were really high for Insurrection after First Contact...and then I was let down exponentially. I'd hoped Nemesis would be fabulous after YEARS of no Trek films, and the same thing happened. I'm willing to believe that the new blood will reinvigorate the franchise.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Ensign

Maybe that's a pic of the jefferies tubes?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
My only assumption at this time is that that corridor picture is probably the Enterprise, considering it's on the ncc-1701.com site. That's all I'm prepared to assume at this point.

I'd say my expectations are higher for this film than the last two. Different regime at the helm and more to be excited about, in my opinion. My expectations were really high for Insurrection after First Contact...and then I was let down exponentially. I'd hoped Nemesis would be fabulous after YEARS of no Trek films, and the same thing happened. I'm willing to believe that the new blood will reinvigorate the franchise.
I personally luved First Contact and Insurection and I very much doubt if this movie will live up to them. After Nemesis I thought they'd never give a movie to a director not fully versed in the Star Trek Universe yet thats was JJ said straight off the bat with regards to DS9 and VOY, I think even ENT too
Old 03-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiarcYekrub View Post
Someone on here mentioned mistakes made in the past, personally I've said many time I dislike this movie ...

1.TOS setting
2.TOS recast
3.Writing Team ... Seriously what have they writen that was good?
4.JJ Abrams ... Overated much?
5.The Budget is waaaaaay too big to be viable for a Star Trek film
6.The Redesign of the Enterprise Exterior
7.The Redesign of the Enterprise Interior
8.The possible resetting of the franchise and the erazure of the Borg,Cardasians,Q,Ferengi,Bajorans,Species 8472,Betazoids, Enterprise E, Titan, Sela, Wormhole Aliens
Your #8 is quite a stretch there...
As is #5.
Number 5 is his best point... No Trek movie has ever come close to making half the amount ST:XI needs just to break even. There's a reason for that fact and it hasn't changed. Trek isn't mainstream. And never will be.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

They want it to be, therefore they shall endeavour further.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiarcYekrub View Post
There is Tons of evidence from the set designers admittance that they didn't even look at TOS as a refference point to a smoky coridor shot that looks more BSG than TOS
Except there so far is no proof that's even a hallway on the Enterprise. Those complaints may end up being right, but this early there is no actual evidence to support them concretely -- that's my point.

I realize some people don't wait for evidence to make up their minds, and that's one way to go. I just respect arguments based on facts more than those based on preconceived bias when the facts aren't even available yet.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't know what that cooridor is...when things get release there is all kinds speculation that could support it but we'll not know untill we see a good trailer or step into the theatre.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Midshipman

I have two concerns about the new Star Trek movie. My first concern would be the fact that the new crew has to live up to the expectations we all have. They have to replace the original series crew, they are younger versions so i expect them not to be the same as the characters we seen in the show and movies. However i feel they will have a difficult time replacing the original crew.
My second consern is the actor playing the young Sulu. In my opinion and this is coming from an actor i feel that John Cho is the worst actor i have ever seen. He played in the movie Harald and Kumar go to White Castle. The movie was horrible and he is in my opinion one of the worst actors i have ever seen. He should stick to making stupid comedy movies and not something like a Star Trek movie.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Admiral

heh...today in the LA Times there was a piece about John Cho, who is promoting the new Harald and Kumar movie...so, apparently the movie had enough audience to get a sequel, huh?

Perhaps comedy is not his thing...comedy is harder than drama...just look at how many comedians have gone on to successful careers in drama compared to those who started in drama and moved to comedy.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:16 PM

True, iv'e tried to be funny, and it just doesn't work. Most people don't have to try to be dramatic, cause they already are.