The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > What Do You Think Happened To Archer After The Series?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Would the name difference not simply be the difference between it's 'real' Klingon name and an adapted name that's easier for others to say, perhaps?

I kinda took it that way.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Federation Councillor

All possible, it's simply because we never were explicitly told the planned relocation actually took place as intended or if anything changed that.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yep, the Feds might have simply helped them to clean up the environmental damage. Or to assume the continuity-is-irrelevant perspective, it was just a way to get the story started, a stand-in for Chernobyl albeit with graver consequences and higher stakes for the Klingons.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Federation Councillor

This is true. Just one of those annoying things since the Homeworld had already been depicted onscreen by that point.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think they tried their best (at least they were more subtle than in GEN) to connect the two generations with Worf's ancestor and Spock's appearance in Unification. The "Spock finally finds the golden middle between his Vulcan and human side" arc from TUC-Unification-ST09 was one of the most beautiful ideas in Trek IMO.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Rear Admiral

Alternate names for Qo'noS used in Trek:
"Kling"
"The Klingon Homeworld"

I think that TNG onwards always depicted Qo'noS as being a murky and gloomy kind of place (no matter what time of the day), but in ENT it was shown as unusually bright and sunny--which would be in keeping with the idea that the planet had suffered some kind of environmental change at some point after the 22nd-Century but before the 24th-Century, IMO...

The destruction of Praxis, however, had more of a devastating impact on the Klingons' economy than on their actual homeworld (which I don't believe they evacuated at all). The Khitomer Accords was, after all, merely a suspension of hostilities (or a "time out") with the Federation until they could clean up Qo'noS and stabilize their economy. Fifty years later, the Klingon Empire was back to full strength--which would be in continuity with events depicted in TNG's "Yesterday's Enterprise".

It was the sacrifice of the Enterprise-C at Narendra III that convinced the Klingons to enter into a genuine alliance with the Federation. In the "Yesterday's Enterprise" timeline, something happened that made the Klingons pull out of the Khitomer Accords and declare war on the Federation instead...
Old 11-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I think they tried their best (at least they were more subtle than in GEN) to connect the two generations with Worf's ancestor and Spock's appearance in Unification. The "Spock finally finds the golden middle between his Vulcan and human side" arc from TUC-Unification-ST09 was one of the most beautiful ideas in Trek IMO.
The Spock comfortable balancing his two sides was well done over a long time and fed well into his interactions with his younger self in Star Trek - it closed the circle a little bit.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Alternate names for Qo'noS used in Trek:
"Kling"
"The Klingon Homeworld"

I think that TNG onwards always depicted Qo'noS as being a murky and gloomy kind of place (no matter what time of the day), but in ENT it was shown as unusually bright and sunny--which would be in keeping with the idea that the planet had suffered some kind of environmental change at some point after the 22nd-Century but before the 24th-Century, IMO...

The destruction of Praxis, however, had more of a devastating impact on the Klingons' economy than on their actual homeworld (which I don't believe they evacuated at all). The Khitomer Accords was, after all, merely a suspension of hostilities (or a "time out") with the Federation until they could clean up Qo'noS and stabilize their economy. Fifty years later, the Klingon Empire was back to full strength--which would be in continuity with events depicted in TNG's "Yesterday's Enterprise".

It was the sacrifice of the Enterprise-C at Narendra III that convinced the Klingons to enter into a genuine alliance with the Federation. In the "Yesterday's Enterprise" timeline, something happened that made the Klingons pull out of the Khitomer Accords and declare war on the Federation instead...
I think it was kind of both, a way to mix Chernobyl and the problems of the Soviet economy together and translate them into suitable drama as well as a way to increase the stakes for the Klingons. "To be or not to be" is a bit more straightforward than economic troubles.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Rear Admiral

In TUC, the problems with the Klingon economy was more of a reason for why the Federation and the Klingons were entering into peace talks. Arguably, "to be or not to be" was in regards of would there be peace or not between the two nations, IMO.