The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > What Do You Think Happened To Archer After The Series?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2009, 06:12 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Well, first impressions count and Archer had a natural talent to piss off Klingons so I guess they were happy to see the Romulans attacking Earth resp. the Coalition of Planets.
So you feel they stayed out, and minded their own buisness during the Earth/Romulan wars?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Fleet Admiral

It depends on their relations with the Romulans. I guess that the three major Alpha/Beta Quadrant powers (Klingons, Romulans, Coalition of Planets) encompass smaller territories than in the 23rd or 24th century such that there is no immediate territorial conflict yet, so I guess that the Klingons and Romulans have neither an alliance nor are they at war yet.
Unless they are allied (i.e. no relations or war) with the Romulans, the Klingons have no reason to interfere. In a 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 game, you sit back and relax when the other players fight each other.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:22 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
It depends on their relations with the Romulans. I guess that the three major Alpha/Beta Quadrant powers (Klingons, Romulans, Coalition of Planets) encompass smaller territories than in the 23rd or 24th century such that there is no immediate territorial conflict yet, so I guess that the Klingons and Romulans have neither an alliance nor are they at war yet.
Unless they are allied (i.e. no relations or war) with the Romulans, the Klingons have no reason to interfere. In a 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 game, you sit back and relax when the other players fight each other.
We saw nothing in ENT that said the Klingons and Romulans were allies, or not.

I just cannot picture the Klingons as passive watchers.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Fleet Admiral

The Klingons might be battle-eager but their empire would not exist if they would commit strategic suicide in a three-player game.
Yet it is possible that they entered the conflict after the two factions have weakened each other. Exploiting the situation, some border skirmishes (if there are common borders already which I doubt), these kind of things perhaps.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
The Klingons might be battle-eager but their empire would not exist if they would commit strategic suicide in a three-player game.
Yet it is possible that they entered the conflict after the two factions have weakened each other. Exploiting the situation, some border skirmishes (if there are common borders already which I doubt), these kind of things perhaps.
I owuld think for Imperial expansion, it would be a ripe time for the Klingons to swoop in, and take systems on the borders of both.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Rear Admiral

For all intents and purposes, the Klingons and the Romulans have yet to officially encounter one another.

As far as the Earth-Romulan War...yes, the Klingons seek glory in battle, but they don't go to war just for the sake of going to war, though. There has to be something in it that benefits the Empire. It's very plausible that the Klingons had no interest in participating in the war between Romulus and Earth because it didn't concern them. They likely would have stayed out of the Dominion War too had the Dominion not targeted them alongside the Federation, IMO...
Old 11-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
For all intents and purposes, the Klingons and the Romulans have yet to officially encounter one another.

As far as the Earth-Romulan War...yes, the Klingons seek glory in battle, but they don't go to war just for the sake of going to war, though. There has to be something in it that benefits the Empire. It's very plausible that the Klingons had no interest in participating in the war between Romulus and Earth because it didn't concern them. They likely would have stayed out of the Dominion War too had the Dominion not targeted them alongside the Federation, IMO...
In that kind of conflict (Earth/Romulan), the border systems will be lightly, if at all protected. Perfect for conquest and development by the Klingon Empire. The Klingons would not even have to declare war, or take sides.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Rear Admiral

But then they would have to go to war with the winner of the Earth-Romulus conflict though.

One thing to remember was that the Coalition of Planets was already established prior to the Romulan Wars, so while the conflict may have been primarily between Humans and Romulans, Earth had Vulcan, Andor, Tellar, Denobula, Rigel, and Coridan in its corner as well.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Precisely, it wouldn't be called Earth-Romulan War if the Klingons had tried to conquer one of the two powers in the aftermath.

Balance of Terror suggests on the one hand primitive technology and on the other hand that the conflict was a conventional territorial war.
I imagine that the two powers did not share a common border before the conflict (otherwise Romulus and Earth have to be pretty close and with 23rd or 24th century warp too close ... same applies for the Klingons) such that the Romulans first slowly and covertly built up forces in a system near to Earth before they started their invasion attempt with these forces. This send-Romulan-troops-first-to-support-system-XYZ scenario sounds also like a longer and bloodier conflict than a direct border war to me.
The borders, the neutral zone and the outposts might have been established in deep space and the two powers began to occupy the formal territories in the following decades.

Last edited by horatio : 11-06-2009 at 10:07 AM.