The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > should it have been a straight reboot.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 AM
Admiral

I think horatio should be in Paramounts PR team

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 10-27-2009, 04:32 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Like several others, I agree with this approximately 100%

The 'new' Trek exists both within, and outside original continuity; this new timeline was born out of the original, but the writers now basically have carte blanche to create new tales based around the original characters.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with that assessment as well. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. I still maintain that a reboot was unnecessary and unwarranted. The TOS universe was just fine the way it was. It was by no means perfect, but neither is the Abramsverse. And it's only been around for 5 months. The Abramsverse is a completely separate universe and has nothing to do with the original TOS universe. The characters are different, ships are different, planets are different, interior sets are different, continuity is different, only the names remain the same. So as far as I'm concerned, they can do whatever they want to with the alternate reality Abramsverse. I'll wait patiently to see if anyone actually makes another movie or TV show about "my" Star Trek. I know it'll never happen. But there's always wishful thinking.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:03 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Unfortunately, I have to agree with that assessment as well. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. I still maintain that a reboot was unnecessary and unwarranted. The TOS universe was just fine the way it was. It was by no means perfect, but neither is the Abramsverse. And it's only been around for 5 months. The Abramsverse is a completely separate universe and has nothing to do with the original TOS universe. The characters are different, ships are different, planets are different, interior sets are different, continuity is different, only the names remain the same. So as far as I'm concerned, they can do whatever they want to with the alternate reality Abramsverse. I'll wait patiently to see if anyone actually makes another movie or TV show about "my" Star Trek. I know it'll never happen. But there's always wishful thinking.
I understand where your coming from, but from a PR stance TOS was the perfect choice to reboot.

Even non fans know TOS.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I'll wait patiently to see if anyone actually makes another movie or TV show about "my" Star Trek. I know it'll never happen. But there's always wishful thinking.
I think they might. I suspect a lot of people who like the nutrek, also would prefer a tv series in the original universe. I know that's what I would prefer. But not with the original TOS crew, maybe another starship in the same era

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 10-27-2009, 05:17 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I understand where your coming from, but from a PR stance TOS was the perfect choice to reboot.

Even non fans know TOS.
I realize that. And that was unfortunate. I just wish they had done it right. After seeing the movie, it just seemed to me that the changes were made purely for the purpose of spitting in the face of long time, loyal, dedicated TOS fans like me. Like a bratty kid saying "na na na na na! I don't have to do what you say anymore!". I know that rhetoric is getting old. But that's just the way I feel about it.

Oops. Looks like I'm getting back on my soap box again. But I have to rant every so often. Or else it wouldn't be me and this board wouldn't have it's "canon fodder" for the gushers to aim at.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:19 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
I think they might. I suspect a lot of people who like the nutrek, also would prefer a tv series in the original universe. I know that's what I would prefer. But not with the original TOS crew, maybe another starship in the same era
Not a bad idea. I would personally like to see a series set aboard the Enterprise under the command of Captain Robert April. The show could chronicle the actual construction and launch of the original Enterprise in the original TOS universe and the first missions under April's command. Or any other ship would also work. The Defiant, Farragut, Intrepid, whatever. As long as it is set in the Prime universe and actually LOOKS like the Prime universe. I would love that!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I realize that. And that was unfortunate. I just wish they had done it right. After seeing the movie, it just seemed to me that the changes were made purely for the purpose of spitting in the face of long time, loyal, dedicated TOS fans like me. Like a bratty kid saying "na na na na na! I don't have to do what you say anymore!". I know that rhetoric is getting old. But that's just the way I feel about it.

Oops. Looks like I'm getting back on my soap box again. But I have to rant every so often. Or else it wouldn't be me and this board wouldn't have it's "canon fodder" for the gushers to aim at.
I'm a lifelong TOS fan too, but I look at it as two diffrent Trek productions, and that's what they are.

Ranting is good Zim, and we know you are a good natured guy.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:26 AM
Admiral

Surely they could use the original universe and go 100 years post VOY/DS9 and by that time they could have more technology. Transwarp or something similar and could travel to a different galaxy instead of just schlepping about this one

Old 10-27-2009, 05:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
Surely they could use the original universe and go 100 years post VOY/DS9 and by that time they could have more technology. Transwarp or something similar and could travel to a different galaxy instead of just schlepping about this one
No, non fans wouldn't nessicarily recognize that.

The TOS format is known by everyone, even people who have never watched an episode of TOS, know what the charaters look like, what phasers are, ect.

For Paramount it was the logical choice.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:32 AM
Admiral

I mean for a TV series not the movie. That ship has sailed whether you like it or not.