The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Top 5 Voyager Episodes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Default Top 5 Voyager Episodes

I kinda nicked this idea off TrekBBS but wanted to know what your views were. I know firther down the board is a thread on your single favourite episode but I think when there are 7 seasons of a programme, picking one is too hard.

2-parter eps count as one episode, and preferrably list why you think they're the best and not just a list. I think it could be a fun discussion. They don't have to be in any particular order, either. Just 5 eps that you think really show the very best of what Star Trek: Voyager has to offier.

OK Here are mine:

Scientific Method: I thought Kate Mulgrew was fabulous in her nearly demented state. You could almost feel her pain

The Killing Game: Brilliantly done and a good take on WWII. Interesting use of the Hirogen as an enemy and Harry Kim showed a bit of fire for once

Counterpoint: Kept on the edge of my seat. Couldn't decide if He really was a baddie or not

Repentance: I use this to teach kids at school the Muslim view of Capital Punishment. Excellent episode.

Night: Again one that explores the character of Janeway and her despair at having stranded everyone in the Delta Quadrant. A good look at the consequences of putting duty first.

There were loads more and if you ask me on a different day, I'd probably give you a different answer.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 10-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Commander

The Void - How the show should have been all the time, facing a bleak outlook and having to bed the rules/forge alliances to survive.

Year of Hell - Like the above, action and broken ship aside this episode is also great as it shows some great character moments (ie Janeway and Tuvok) and the pain of having to force the family apart to survive.

Night - Feeling the cabin fever and Janeway's self-doubt, also quite creepy in parts

One - Great use of Seven and the Doctor, shows that bottle shows can work as well as all out action pieces and still raises hair on my neck when Seven starts to lose it.

Equinox - Janeway goes Ape, great to see her clashing horns with another captain, a real good look at what could have been. Wish we'd followed the other new crewmembers a bit more though.

Good choices Janeway72, definately agree that Kim was a much more likeable character in Killing Game.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Admiral

It's difficult to pick 5. I agree with all of yours, especially what you say about The Void. I always feel a bit bad when I watch Equinox cos i kind of think Janeway has a point, though her methods are not exactly Starfleet. Besides, she may have relented in time. We'll never know

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 10-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Commander

Voyager was a much superior vessel to the Equinox and due to the writers wanting to maintain the status quo for syndication we never saw voyager suffering and becoming depleted as it should have been. But yeah, I reckon she would have relented over time.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

Blink of an Eye - fast-forward through the evolution of a species, what a lovely idea (I also loved that they used the location of Ladies View for the background)
Thirty Days - a water planet, that's even better than Verne
Demon / Course: Oblivion - utter desperation, the darkest hours of Voyager
Tuvix - a well played character and a classical moral dilemna
Worst Case Scenario - I wanted to pick Flesh and Blood but Seska's revenge was more fun
Old 10-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Commander

I didn't watch every episode of Voyager, and i only have the first three seasons on Dvd to help my memory, but these are my favs,

5. Scorpion-Why? Because its the Borg, and because Janeway is taking a very big gamble in forging an alliance with the Borg, but she's doing because she wants to get her crew home, desperately. This episode shows how desperate she's become, it also demonstrates how courageous she is.

4. Flashback-Why? Because George Takei is in it, and we get to see a young Tuvok.

3. Year of Hell-This episode brought me to tears when i first saw it. Awesome alternate timeline story, and ultimately a heartbreak story about lost chances and opportunities.

2. The Thaw-I love Michael from Lavern and Shirley as the sadistical clown and Janeway's brillant outmanuvering of the persona of "Fear".

1. Basics-Last Michael Piller story, best Voyager 2-parter IMO, Voyager's classic villians, the Kazon are back in a story where they leave the Voyager crew stranded without their technology, i really like how the Voyager crew walk into a trap with their eyes fully open.

There are other episodes not included that i would have if i had more than 5 to post like "The Voyager Conspiracy", but those are my top five.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Well, although I'm not a huge fan of the series I actually do have episodes I like.

1 - 'The Year of Hell' - (very well written movie, perhaps the most satisfying two-parter since 'Best of Both Worlds' in fact. It has it's issues but taken as an above average popcorn episode it works very well)

2 - 'Timeless' - the 100th episode, a total mind-bender of a show but again generally well done with good effects.

3 - 'Eye of the Needle' - a very good early episode that humanised Janeway with her reaction to the twist at the end.

4 - 'Night' - Another great humanising Janeway episode (I have my doubts that it should have taken until season 5 for it to happen, but that it at least did was to the benefit of her character).

5 - 'Cold Fire' - I think they made a big error in writing out the Caretaker aspect of the Voyager story so prematurely but as ending the story goes it was a great Kes episode and also managed to be rather creepy when the female Caretaker got aboard the ship.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Admiral

I have just watched "Faces" again on TV. I think it deserves an honourable mention. One of the few Voyager episodes that looked at the personality of a crewmember. B'Elanna is always described in pocket books as being almost tortured by the clash between her Klingon side and her human side. This episode looks at it in detail.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Lieutenant

Thirty Days would be the best one.