The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Why did Starfleet not believe Harry?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 03:07 AM
Admiral

Default Why did Starfleet not believe Harry?

In the episode "Non Sequitur" when Harry ends up back on earth and someone else is in his place on Voyager, he explains the problem to Starfleet who completely refuse to believe him.

Now I understand why no one would believe you if you told that story in this day and age but time travel and problems in the space/time continuum are not exactly unheard of in the 24th Century. So doesn anyone know why they didn't believe him and try to help him, rather then trying to lock him up?

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 11-17-2009, 03:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
In the episode "Non Sequitur" when Harry ends up back on earth and someone else is in his place on Voyager, he explains the problem to Starfleet who completely refuse to believe him.

Now I understand why no one would believe you if you told that story in this day and age but time travel and problems in the space/time continuum are not exactly unheard of in the 24th Century. So doesn anyone know why they didn't believe him and try to help him, rather then trying to lock him up?
But isn't that not the original Harry Kim anyway? The original was killed a few episodes into the series and one from a copy Voyager came over.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:25 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
But isn't that not the original Harry Kim anyway? The original was killed a few episodes into the series and one from a copy Voyager came over.
Yeah was wierd in Deadlock having a different Harry Kim than the original, ultimately it means nothing to the run of the series, same as when O'Brien dies in Visionary.

As for Non Sequitur, if everyone had believed him the story would have been over very quickly, inuniverse though, I guess it shows that the top-brass don't like bothering with such things when everything seems peachy and fine, so it's a bit of a jab at the Admirals like we so often see in Star Trek
Old 11-17-2009, 03:49 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

Because it is Harry and because Harry has to suffer.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
That's very much up for debate. I'm not sure which episode comes first but even if deadlock comes first, neither Voyager was the correct one. they were both equal. All the molecules had been duplicated. they sacrificed the ship that was boarded by the Vidiians. But because baby Naomi and Kim had died on the more damaged Voyager, they sent the ones from the boarded ship over. So he was the original Harry Kim but he wasn't.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 11-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Federation Councillor

Could just be that for the story to play out the 'top brass' have to do that movie/TV show thing of not believing the person telling them what's going on until something else happens to prove it.

Barclay had the same problem once or twice if I recall.

Deadlock comes after Non-Sequitur because I think it was one of the episodes actually made for season 1 which was held over to start season 2 with instead.

Whether Harry was an alternate or not is probably open to debate but for all intent's and purposes he was at least a copy of the original, if not a full alternate.

O'Brien however, was, I believe quite clearly replaced by an alternate after the original died at the end of Visionary.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
That's very much up for debate. I'm not sure which episode comes first but even if deadlock comes first, neither Voyager was the correct one. they were both equal. All the molecules had been duplicated. they sacrificed the ship that was boarded by the Vidiians. But because baby Naomi and Kim had died on the more damaged Voyager, they sent the ones from the boarded ship over. So he was the original Harry Kim but he wasn't.
I'd say technically he wasn't.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post

Whether Harry was an alternate or not is probably open to debate but for all intent's and purposes he was at least a copy of the original, if not a full alternate.

O'Brien however, was, I believe quite clearly replaced by an alternate after the original died at the end of Visionary.
I'm not convinced by that because the way they explained it on the show was that every molecule had split in two when they hit the anomaly so both ships and crew were the original one

Old 11-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I'm not convinced by that because the way they explained it on the show was that every molecule had split in two when they hit the anomaly so both ships and crew were the original one
I'm not really aiming to convince anyone - merely acknowledging that different people have a different take.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Admiral

I think it was left pretty open to interpretation.