The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > What made "FIRST CONTACT" best TNG film?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-20-2009, 12:25 PM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

A more unusual ship design, perhaps something more rocket-like to establish a design continuity from a cylindrical rocket to a spherical primary hull to a saucer, from the Phoenix to the alternative NX-01 to the Daedalus to the NCC-1701, would have fitted such an alterantive show.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,989
Default

I would have liked to have seen a bulkier ship. Technology always gets smaller as time goes on. And much more limited. Too many similarities to what we already have seen with stand-in terms. Polarize hull is no different storywise than shields, phase cannon no different than phasers. Felt too much like Voyager era Star Trek.

Limited technology would have gone a long way for Enterprise. Perhaps transporters that take several minutes to complete transporting and can only be used on inanimate objects. Warp engines that take time to get up to warp speed, no instant jump to warp. Things like that.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

The producers wanted something that could be easily identified as a "Star Trek ship," so it wasn't going to stray too far from what we had seen before, IMO.
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-20-2009, 02:37 PM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I would have liked to have seen a bulkier ship. Technology always gets smaller as time goes on. And much more limited. Too many similarities to what we already have seen with stand-in terms. Polarize hull is no different storywise than shields, phase cannon no different than phasers. Felt too much like Voyager era Star Trek.

Limited technology would have gone a long way for Enterprise. Perhaps transporters that take several minutes to complete transporting and can only be used on inanimate objects. Warp engines that take time to get up to warp speed, no instant jump to warp. Things like that.
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
The producers wanted something that could be easily identified as a "Star Trek ship," so it wasn't going to stray too far from what we had seen before, IMO.
However, this was clearly the mindset of the producers.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Beameup Beameup is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3
Default Deanna Troy stated it... but was not the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
We don't know how long it took, ENT only indicates that all the main problems are eliminated ninety years afterwars, but fifty years sounds reasonable.
I don't mean to get off topic... but... even though Deanna Troy stated poverty, disease, and war would be eliminated in 50 years, this really is not the case anyways... for instance... the Maquis in a way is a division in humanity's politcal beliefs...

Anyway, this film instantly became my favorite of TNG. Insurrection and Nemises just could not match it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-12-2009, 04:11 AM
Roysten's Avatar
Roysten Roysten is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 918
Default

I remember reading that the first half of the first season of ENT was going to be based on Earth before getting out into space, this could have been good to show more of Earth and perhaps how it was in an intermediate state from the post-war we saw in FC to the Utopia of Earth by the time of TOS and TNG.

As to why FC is the best film, I think a lot of it is to do with how the entire cast get a good amount of screen time, something lacking in the other TNG films (like how Worf and Crusher are virtually invisible in GEN and NEM). FC also has a good balance of the tension and action on the Enterprise to the more light hearted, humorous story in Montana.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-12-2009, 10:24 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

A pretty good way of looking at it.

Each of the cast gets a 'moment' instead of being pushed aside in favour of the big three in TNG. And the basic story has two contrasting plot strands that can satisfy both the existing Star Trek audience (the Earth story which is all about Trek itself) and the Enterprise story (basically a familiar horror 'Alien' style actioner) for the general audience.

In this sense, it mirrors TWOK in having two storylines that could be enjoyed by the initiated and the uninitiated, which I think was a big factor in it's crossing over into popularity with wider audiences.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-14-2009, 04:22 AM
martok2112's Avatar
martok2112 martok2112 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 6,480
Default

While the story was good, this "episode that wanted to be a movie" seriously disappointed me on a "bang for the buck" level.

The BIG space battle was nothing more than a two minute action beat that played no differently from a typical TNG episode, and it was done too early in the episode....it was a climax at the beginning of the episode.

The other action beats in this episode filled a small screen much more effectively than a movie theater screen.

However, this movie did have an awesome opening shot.....with the longest pullback ever in cinematic history at the time....one of the only truly "big screen" moments in this episode.

I still have issues with the opening theme of this episode also. It should've had a more menacing tone (ala Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country). It's a beautiful piece of music....don't get me wrong....but it would've served the Insurrection episode just as well. The theme went great, when blended with the Motion Picture theme for the end titles, because it reflects that sense of hope. But the episode had a dire opening, and needed a dire theme to set the mood.

My humble opinions, of course.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-14-2009, 05:00 AM
samwiseb samwiseb is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,207
Default

Hmm... I think the music worked just fine. You want the tone of your movie to remain consistent throughout, so it appears balanced rather than front-heavy. For a darker opening theme, you need a darker movie (ie, take out the first contact stuff and make it exclusively a Borg story).

Agreed on all your other points. The scope of the movie is very front-heavy and anti-climactic, although I think the movie's pacing almost makes up for it (some of the latter Geordi/Riker/Cochrane scenes come off feeling like poorly-timed intermissions, but I'm not sure there was any way to fix that given the two parallel plots).

Some of the action pieces seemed quite cinematic, the elaborate 'maglock' sequence on the deflector dish being a prime example. 21st century Montana felt very small screen though, despite the money spent on it. Probably just not enough extras, plus the whole improbable nature of having a bar right next to a missile silo. Whatever.

Mostly I don't like being able to predict the all beats in advance, and TNG-verse Trek was unfortunately becoming very familiar by the time of this movie. "If the Borg changed history, why are we still here? The temporal wake must be shielding us from the changes in the timeline." (Does that make any sense to you? It's almost as bad as "Captain! Their weapon is pushing us out of the timespace continium!")

Best I think can be said is, First Contact played to the strengths of TNG more than the weaknesses thereof. For not knowing how to actually reinvent itself for the big screen, this was still TNG's best movie adaptation. And easily the best 'introductory' place to start if you're unfamiliar with the TNG-verse.
__________________


Last edited by samwiseb : 12-14-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Roysten's Avatar
Roysten Roysten is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
While the story was good, this "episode that wanted to be a movie" seriously disappointed me on a "bang for the buck" level.

The BIG space battle was nothing more than a two minute action beat that played no differently from a typical TNG episode, and it was done too early in the episode....it was a climax at the beginning of the episode.

The other action beats in this episode filled a small screen much more effectively than a movie theater screen.

However, this movie did have an awesome opening shot.....with the longest pullback ever in cinematic history at the time....one of the only truly "big screen" moments in this episode.

I still have issues with the opening theme of this episode also. It should've had a more menacing tone (ala Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country). It's a beautiful piece of music....don't get me wrong....but it would've served the Insurrection episode just as well. The theme went great, when blended with the Motion Picture theme for the end titles, because it reflects that sense of hope. But the episode had a dire opening, and needed a dire theme to set the mood.

My humble opinions, of course.
I agree that it doesn't have the more epic feel of the TMP, NEM or Trek09 but I think calling it an episode is a bit unfair, GEN felt like more of an episode and FC I feel had a similar scope and feel to that of the other TOS films which have always been described as movies rather than episodes.

I really enjoyed the space battle, perhaps it was a bit of an early climax but it set a tone and I don't think the action and pace slowed particularly, making it a bit longer would have course been warmly welcomed!

The opening shot was awesome, definitely a big screen moment.

I agree with you on the opening theme, great piece of music but not massively menacing, still fit well though IMO.

I think Samwiseb sums it up well though saying that it plays more to TNGs strengths than its weaknesses.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.