The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > What made "FIRST CONTACT" best TNG film?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-20-2009, 09:52 AM
chator's Avatar
chator chator is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,245
Default What made "FIRST CONTACT" best TNG film?

IMO,

First movie with TNG crew on their own.
TNG crew facing their archnemesis-Borg.
Deals with legendary fictional event in Trek-First Contact.
Did I miss anything?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Nope...it's the best TNG movie hands down.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-20-2009, 10:05 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,257
Default

One could break it down to the ingredients, Borg, time travel, Cochrane, first contact with the Vulcan ... but a good meal consists of more than just good ingredients.
It is my favourite Trek movie because it contrasts the horror of the Third World War and the Borg with the bright new future that is about to begin after humankind can reach the stars and realizes that it is not alone out there.
In other terms, it shows that not merely a technological breakthrough but also a social revolution (a WW destroys not merely the real infrastructure but also the spiritual infrastructure and realizing that you are not alone out there on such shattered believes will easily change humankind like nothing before ever has) are necessary to reach the Trek future. A similar theme is repeated in the untold story of the Earth-Romulan war and the foundation of the Federation (one could hear the first tones of that theme in Babel One / United / The Aenar).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
One could break it down to the ingredients, Borg, time travel, Cochrane, first contact with the Vulcan ... but a good meal consists of more than just good ingredients.
It is my favourite Trek movie because it contrasts the horror of the Third World War and the Borg with the bright new future that is about to begin after humankind can reach the stars and realizes that it is not alone out there.
In other terms, it shows that not merely a technological breakthrough but also a social revolution (a WW destroys not merely the real infrastructure but also the spiritual infrastructure and realizing that you are not alone out there on such shattered believes will easily change humankind like nothing before ever has) are necessary to reach the Trek future. A similar theme is repeated in the untold story of the Earth-Romulan war and the foundation of the Federation (one could hear the first tones of that theme in Babel One / United / The Aenar).
That was the part for me that was the hardest to accept in FC, that humanity would in 50 short years give up nationalism, bigotry, greed, all because they found out they were not alone in the cosmos. I think if a longer period of time and a more gradual climb up to self enlightenment might have been a more realistic approach.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,257
Default

We don't know how long it took, ENT only indicates that all the main problems are eliminated ninety years afterwars, but fifty years sounds reasonable.
The crucial point IMO is not just first contact with aliens, but first contact with aliens after everything is destroyed, streets and buildings as well as the belief into any kind of previous system.

Take the decline organized religion in Trek's future. That might have less to do with the fact that humans know that they are not alone out there but perhaps more with the failure of religious organizations (as well as many other organizations) to prevent the horrors of the Third World War.

Or if I may take the history of my own country Germany, it was easy (due to the help of the US) to establish a well-functioning democracy (the previous did not work so well as it lead to fascism) after WWII.
In a hypothetical scenario where Hitler's rise to power and WWII did not happen, Germany would most likely have continued to be a moderately well, or rather moderately bad functioning democracy.

Sometimes things have to become worse before they become better, it is coldest before the sun rises (oohhh, that sounds so clichée).

I doubt that we will have cheapos like WWIII and Vulcans to get things right.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
We don't know how long it took, ENT only indicates that all the main problems are eliminated ninety years afterwars, but fifty years sounds reasonable.
The crucial point IMO is not just first contact with aliens, but first contact with aliens after everything is destroyed, streets and buildings as well as the belief into any kind of previous system.

Take the decline organized religion in Trek's future. That might have less to do with the fact that humans know that they are not alone out there but perhaps more with the failure of religious organizations (as well as many other organizations) to prevent the horrors of the Third World War.

Or if I may take the history of my own country Germany, it was easy (due to the help of the US) to establish a well-functioning democracy (the previous did not work so well as it lead to fascism) after WWII.
In a hypothetical scenario where Hitler's rise to power and WWII did not happen, Germany would most likely have continued to be a moderately well, or rather moderately bad functioning democracy.

Sometimes things have to become worse before they become better, it is coldest before the sun rises (oohhh, that sounds so clichée).

I doubt that we will have cheapos like WWIII and Vulcans to get things right.
Ok, maybe in Trek's future they have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy when it coem to religon?

But using Germany, as you did, the country was devided until 1989 as a scale model of cold war politics. Germay as a whole democratic society is a fairly recent event, in historical terms. Hitler (early days) happend to be in the right place, at the right time, with a line that people wanted to buy, becuase it was the only line avilible. Shame the German people of the time found out too late that his regime screwed everybody over, including them.

But I agree, if WWI hadn't taken place, then yes, Germany would have stood a chance of maintaing a semi stable democracy. WWI left the politcal climate ready for a person like Hitler to step in.

If Hitler hadn't come to power. sooner or later soemone, somewhere would have, who's to say that perosn wouldn't have been worse?

WWIII might well happen yet, if it does then WW4 will be fought with stick and stones.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Ok, maybe in Trek's future they have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy when it coem to religon?
I think that religion is simply a private thing, perhaps small-scale organizations like the Jews have, but no large-scale things like the Christians or Muslims. Faith would be purer in such a world IMO.

Quote:
If Hitler hadn't come to power. sooner or later soemone, somewhere would have, who's to say that perosn wouldn't have been worse?
Yeah, that's kinda like Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It was terrible, but better earlier than later when nuclear warheads would have caused much more suffering.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

One thing about the timeframe of First Contact was that it was still considered the era of "the Post-Atomic Horror" mentioned in TNG's pilot episode. A lot of old institutions collapsed and that likely included the current world order and many social, economic, and political systems. IMO, Human society was already in transition towards a more globalized order and first contact with extraterrestrials only accelerated things (hey guys, let's get our $hit together fast, because these pointy-eared bastards might try to eat us or something).

ENT could have shown us Humans that still dealt with some of the problems we still deal with today (like money and social discrimination), but instead we were told almost from the beginning it was pretty much already at Federation-era status by the end of the 21st-Century and all we needed was a better warp drive system...
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Rick Sternbach, ship designer and technical advisor for TNG, DS9, and VOY--but let go prior to ENT--recommended to Rick Berman that NX-01 probably shouldn't stray too far from Earth but he was promptly ignored.
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.