The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Constitution Class Launched
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

The Encyc agrees with that age exactly, Saquist.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

Yes but from what canon material did we get his birth year?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't know if there was an exact date of birth given in canon sources, but there seem to be quite a few which fix his age range at points in his career, which then make backing out the math a reasonable estimate.

Rather the same way that references to how old Khan's ship was in "Space Seed" helped fans deduce roughly what century TOS took place, even though no 'current' year was given in the series.

That and sometimes writers just decide things for themselves, with mixed results of success pertaining to canon, ha!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

What a minute did not Kirk give the time he was from in the Voyage Home?
I'm looking!

Old 03-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Federation Councillor

Well, like it or not, the Okuda's dates are considered cannon.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:56 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Well, like it or not, the Okuda's dates are considered cannon.
Well, only the dates actually mentioned onscreen are canon, the rest is personal conjecture as Okuda mentioned himself and subject to being contradicted by later Trek shows and movies.

For example, Okuda established 2264-2269 as the timeframe of Kirk's 5-year mission, but the VOY episode "Q2" listed it as 2265-2270 onscreen, making Okuda's timeline now incorrect except for those parts that still jive with onscreen material...

Until the new movie says something differently, we can officially place 2270 as the end of Kirk's 5-year mission and work from there...
Old 03-10-2008, 06:07 AM
Federation Councillor

Yes, while you are correct, Trek shows (DS9, VOY, ENT) used these as cannon refrence material.

2270 does not jibe with "18 months" mentioned in TMP. the cannon sate for that is considered to be 2271. Unless it was very early in 2270. But then how could Kirk have been cheif of Starfleet operations for 3 years? Who was the Capatin of the Enterpise???

Man, what a can o' worms....
Old 03-10-2008, 06:51 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Yes, while you are correct, Trek shows (DS9, VOY, ENT) used these as cannon refrence material.

2270 does not jibe with "18 months" mentioned in TMP. the cannon sate for that is considered to be 2271. Unless it was very early in 2270. But then how could Kirk have been cheif of Starfleet operations for 3 years?
Kirk was still Chief of Starfleet Operations for nearly three years--it would place Star Trek I (TMP) either in late 2272 or early 2273. The Enterprise's refit, however, only occurred during the final eighteen months of that period, meaning that for awhile, the ship was just sitting in drydock for a year or so on inactive duty until the refit actually started (which does happen to some real navy ships).

Quote:
Who was the Capatin of the Enterpise???
Willard Decker, if we go by onscreen dialogue. A ship would still need a captain even if it was currently undergoing a refit and tied up at its shipyard for a few years...
Old 03-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Federation Councillor

C-

No, according to every source I have read, TMP takes place in 2271. I'm not saying I'm right, I am just saying what the database and my books say.

I agree that Decker would be Cap. during the 18 month refit (Established by Scotty's dialouge). But I am asking what about this missing year and a half?? So Decker ran the ship for year and a half before the refit??

Man, need some asprin...LOL.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
C-

No, according to every source I have read, TMP takes place in 2271. I'm not saying I'm right, I am just saying what the database and my books say.
Well, unfortunately those sources are now incorrect. VOY's listing of 2270 as the end of Kirk's 5-year mission is the official date. TMP said that roughly three years have passed since then, so TMP takes place now around 2273. You don't have to like it, but as far as canon goes, there it is. Yeah, I feel the same way...

Quote:
I agree that Decker would be Cap. during the 18 month refit (Established by Scotty's dialouge). But I am asking what about this missing year and a half?? So Decker ran the ship for year and a half before the refit??
Most likely, yes. Ships that aren't on deployment are considered on inactive duty or as part of a reserve fleet. They're not in mothballs, but they're not on an official mission either. In the case of the Enterprise, the ship was scheduled for a refit, so it was pulled from active duty until the refit began. During that time, Decker would be still be the captain even if the ship wasn't going anywhere for a few years and probably would be overseeing the dismantling of the ship's original systems by the dockyard crew and those members of the Enterprise crew who stayed with the ship after Kirk left.