The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Constitution Class Launched
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
Yes, unfortunately. I saw an interview on some cable station with some hotshot Admiral talking very unsympathetically about turning her into razor blades. It makes me sick. But this isn't a naval forum, so i'll leave it at that, i don't want to get in trouble.
Eh, just make a quick reference to the thread topic, then give your other thought too...

EXP: Wow, I had no idea that ENT was that old. I also think it sucks that ship you spoke of is being turned in to tin cans. Maybe Paramount should buy the ship.

See...
Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 PM

Yeah, come to think of it, since she appeared in The Voyage Home, she's Star Trek canon!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Rear Admiral

Speaking of ST:IV, and the ship shown in the movie, I would think it could be classified as a Historical Item. Which means it could not be taken apart.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
Not only that, but she was the very first nuclear surface warship. The original nuclear "wessel". Heck, she starred in Star Trek IV!

That's right, I forgot, she was the first.
Like the nautilus.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

The ship on Star Trek IV was actually the Kity Hawk I believe.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Rear Admiral

Nope, it was Enterprise. Chekov said so to Kirk on the communicator.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:55 PM

In the earlier years, you could spot her ten miles off. Her and her half sister the cruiser Long Beach, were built with a beautiful white phased array radar on top of their superstructure, but later both she and the Long Beach were refit with a more standardized type superstructure and she became harder to distinguish from other carriers after that. They used the Kitty Hawk as a stand in? I'd think the Kitty's crew would take exception to that as well as the big E's. Checkov did say "I've found a nuclear wessel, and captain, it's the Enterprise!".
Old 03-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
Nope, it was Enterprise. Chekov said so to Kirk on the communicator.
No I mean in reality the ship they used Kitty Hawk and they presented as Enterprise since Enterprise was at sea...

That's what heard...I remember it as a caption..Let me look it up.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Rear Admiral

Every ship that's been turned into a museum has been done so (I think) through public support and private investors who have more or less bought the ship from the Navy. The Navy really doesn't have anything more to do with a ship once its decommissioned, no matter what its history. If the real USS Enterprise is to be spared from the breakers after she's retired, it's going to cost a lot.

Otherwise, she's worth a lot more to the Navy as spare parts and scrap metal that can be used in the construction of future ships.

But in regards to the "20-years old" reference in Star Trek III (aside from the real world reason), that could be a reference to how long it's been since the Enterprise's last major refit in Star Trek I. As an off-the-cuff remark, Fleet Admiral Morrow could be simply rounding off 15 or so years as 20. In any event, it could also be that the design itself isn't 20 years old, but that it's onboard technology is.

For Starfleet, it might be easier just to retire the Constitution-class and go with a new starship design than try to keep an old design up and running with new technology it might be incompatible with anyway.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 PM

I'd like to replay the film, but i don't have a current copy of it right now. If the number 65 is in white on her deck, it's the big "E", the Kitty will have a different hull number. I can't recall it off hand.