The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Constitution Class Launched
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Lieutenant

I quit. I have my little idea of when things happened. Considering I put it together using Memory Alpha, Abrams and Co. shouldn't have an issue with it.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

Tej, the trick is I can't correlate the Okuda timeline built up for years vs. the Memory-Alpha timeline, which seem parallel but shifted ahead of the former by a couple years.

But given it's all based on so many suppositions, I don't know how anyone can definitively say one timeline is right and one is wrong, especially if they're both so close in matching, just off by a couple of years.

Interpretations of events are tough to pin down precisely when such events were never dated precisely to begin with. At this point I'm just unsure how MemoryAlpha's numbers are "more right" than the previous Encyclopedias, unless new concrete evidence arose since their printing.

Btw, ST.com itself says Kirk took command of the Enterprise and started his mission in 2264: http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...r/1112496.html

So at the latest, Pike would have handed the ship over to Kirk that year. If they're right, of course.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!

Last edited by MissionTrek08 : 03-10-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Lieutenant

Wasn't Kirk the youngest Captain to ever command a starship when he took command of the Enterprise? How old was he? Did we ever learn his age in TOS? He was born in 2233, so that should at least tell us when he took command. From there, it would be easy to date forward, and even backwards.

[edit] Events
Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

I heard Kirk was 31 when he took command of the Enterprise. youngest ever.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Good question, Tej. Well, I looked up this much:

According to the Star Trek Chronology, it says Kirk's age is given as 34 years old in "The Deadly Times."

The Encyclopedia dates that episode as Stardate 3478.2 (likely given in the log or such).

Kirk's birth year (2233) plus his age (34) puts "The Deadly Times" roughly in the year 2267 then.

The next question is: when did that episode happen within Kirk's five-year mission?

If you go by Harriman's line in ST:GEN, he says the Enterprise-B (launched in 2293) was "the first in 30 years without Kirk in command." Again, buying that, one might again fix Kirk's command of the 1701 to begin in 2263.

If so, then "The Deadly Times" happens sometime in the third year of Kirk's mission in command which reportedly began in 2264.

A lot of conjecture there, though... fair warning!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Commander

Anyways....
Old 03-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Midshipman

While y'all might want the 'Prise turned into a museum... remember that it's the first nuke aircraft carrier... the Nimitz have 2 reactors, the 'prise has 8. It's beyond old, and has had many issues due to poor design and age. The Radcon cost alone to decommision will be extreme, and to cut a ship to pieces to defuel it's reactors and cut the irradiated reactor compartment out... then try to stick it all back together is... well... kind'a dumb. The Nautilus is the only nuclear ship they've got on display, it was small, not hardly 1/2 the age of the'Prise when it got decommed and you still can't go into the engineroom w/o proper clearence, despite it's age and the fact most everything has been pulled of the engineroom. Remember, we do have a rather techniligically developed navy, though it is decades old when compared to off-the-shelp equipment, and it's secrets must be guarded.

And I'm a nuke in the navy... so... well... I know. Go vistit the Yorktown in South Carolina or the Missouri in Hawaii or the Consitution in Boston. You could practically build a new aircraft carrier for the cost your talking about. We can't hardly buy body armor for the guys overseas right now, or parts for the sub I'm on now...
Old 03-11-2008, 04:01 AM
Federation Councillor

Charles-

Allways wanted to see the Big E and the Yorktown.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Lieutenant

In the original "Chronology of Space Flight" by Pocket Books the Constitution Class Warp 8 cruiser was launched in 2188 and the Constitution Class II Warp 12 cruiser was launched in 2212.....

These were also the dates used by FASA in their D100 RPG for TREK..... Except that FASA didn't call the refit Constitution II they called it Enterprise Class.....
Old 03-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Federation Councillor

But we have all conculded that FASA's dates are way off though.