The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > "Don't people from the 24th century ever pee?"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
oh come on...I could explain that away with technobable....bio vacum compensators or whatever...besides what replaces the stuff you excrete when you excrete it on the toilet. I really don't see the difference, what with targeting scanners and all that.
But your excrement does not just fall out of you, muscles in your body push it out - which is why it is often difficult to 'hold it in' because your muscles are pushing it out whether you like it or not!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 03-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Midshipman

I would rather have it beamed out than be caught squating over a transporter pad with my pants down. Is that why O'Brian, with his obvious talent as Chief Engineer, was transporter chief. He must have asked for the job due to the benefit of locking the door and having private bathroom time.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Commander

On a starship all waste matter goes through a reclamation process. All water is purified and recycled. Including the water content in all solid waste whether fecal matter or uneaten foodstuffs. The solids are then broken down by the same matrix that operates the transporters, and the solids are re-constituted as usable material. Clothing doesn't need to be laundered as it can be demolecularized and come back through the transporter/replicator as an entirely new uniform. All reclaimable matter has to be recycled for a ship to be able to sustain so large a crew for all that time in space.
Spock even found that he could store coffee in the pattern buffer and it never got stale!
Old 05-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I'm sure....

On Enterprise they offered up that all waste is recycled and that solid waste most often ends up in replacement parts. I frankly don't get that because I'm reasonably sure I know what goes into solid waste and I rather doubt it can be made into plastic...
Actually, if it was broken down into its atomic parts, it could easily become plastic, because plastic is made from hydrocarbons, which are molecular chains of carbon and hydrogen. Organic material is also made of chains of carbon and hydrogen; it's only that they are put together differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcunk View Post
i thought of the beaming thing before. when you have to go it beams out. a new thing to think about do the woman were tampons or maxi pads?
This one's easy. They probably have some kind of hormone regulators (pills, shots, patches, etc) so that they never have a period unless they want one (for reproduction purposes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
Clothing doesn't need to be laundered as it can be demolecularized and come back through the transporter/replicator as an entirely new uniform.
Except that Data had that whole closet-full of clothes organized by spectral color ...
Old 05-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Commander

Not having to launder an Item doesn't mean you can't own a closet full of clothes. It just means that when it gets soiled, or damaged you stuff it into the replicator and beam it out and beam it back good as new. No wasted water, no detergents, and since you have the garment scanned in in it's pristine condition you get it back in its' pristine condition. No fading, no wear.

And since the transporter works on a subatomic level everything is rendered back into a neutral state, even the bacteria in solid waste, so there's no odor. Any proteins left behind can be reclaimed back into the replicator systems for other uses. A certain portion would be useful to the hydroponics and arboretum, but nearly all waste would be reused, stored in the pattern buffer is base elemental form. Until you wanted a steak, or a bowl of ice cream then the replicator would call up the molecular make up of the requested item and then reconstitute the matter as the item you chose.
Hormone regulators are common place, Kirk uses a supressor to keep his bread from growing. Think about it. They now have drugs that women can take so they don't have to have but 4 cycles a year. Where will we be in the future especially after the Eugenics War. They'll know so much more about genetics then.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Ensign

Default Hormone regulation

Actually, if a woman takes regular birth control pills straight through the entire month, she can eliminate menstruation entirely- most women, though, didn't or don't like to do that, as the pill can sometimes mask a pregnancy. On DS9, I remember that Sisco and his wife both said that they'd for gotten to take their "shots", which is why Mrs. Sisco ended up pregnant. So it sounds as if contraception inthe future is pretty much a male and female version of Depo-Provera.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH The KING View Post
We should see crewmembers showing in liquid, not "sonic showers"
Something like this, perhaps? Which by the way is a perfectly good excuse for me to post pictures of Scott Bakula in his birthday suit...

Old 05-25-2009, 03:13 AM
Commander

The way a sonic shower works is that the ultrasonic soundwaves help exfoliate dead skin cells, and break up the bonds between the dirt and your skin. You still need to rinse with water, otherwise you'd have any ashy residue all over. But you only need to rinse, thus reducing the amount of water used. And, while they depicted the shower as such with Captain Archer. A shower aboard ship should be enclosed just in case a grav failure occurred. Don't need to have all that water getting into the com system, or other electronics. Think about how damaging water is to your cell phone.