The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Anyone here hope Gaila is in Trek XII?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Commander

I'd like to see her in passing but face it... Her being in the crew would only result in her dying in a more certain manner. She really could not have any substantive roll. Unfortunate but true.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Commander

Only if she were a redshirt.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't want to see her as part of the Enterprise crew either, but maybe just an appearance if she survived the Narada's onslaught that is.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Commander

Given that ALT Kirk will ***** anything; alien, human female, farm animal. I don't see why Orion She-Hulk is needed. It's not as if ALT Kirk was serious about starting a relationship or going steady.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Federation Councillor

Gaila - don't care.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Given that ALT Kirk will ***** anything; alien, human female, farm animal. I don't see why Orion She-Hulk is needed. It's not as if ALT Kirk was serious about starting a relationship or going steady.
Well would you rather have a short scene with her or Keesner?
Old 10-13-2009, 01:18 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Well would you rather have a short scene with her or Keesner?
How about a bedroom scene with her AND Keesner?

On a slightly more serious note, there's every chance she survived the destruction of the fleet. Lots of those ships were in fairly large chunks, rather than obliterated outright, which would seem to make survivors more of a possibility. Especially if they limped to safety on shuttles before the loss of the planet. We didn't see it in the film, but survivors often seem to be the case even after fairly destructive conflicts.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Lieutenant

The franchise needs more women and especially funny women but I'd rather that any spare space was filled by a better role model. A joke character who is defined by her sexuality and is little more than a nudge-nudge-wink-wink teenboy fantasy actually works against any attempt to offset the sexism of the movie.

I especially want to see Rand as a competent martial arts trained non-comm crewman and Chapel give some air time in a way that acknowledges her scientific qualifications as well as her position as a nurse. Ann Mulhall in engineering as Scotty's number two would also be a better option than Gaila.

Having said that, Gaila is distinctinve. As a potential red shirt on a landing party, we might actually care if she got killed. I'd care more that she clashes with all three branch uniforms.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
I especially want to see Rand as a competent martial arts trained non-comm crewman and Chapel give some air time in a way that acknowledges her scientific qualifications as well as her position as a nurse. Ann Mulhall in engineering as Scotty's number two would also be a better option than Gaila.
Indeed. Perhaps not so much on Rand with martial arts - 'cause there are other kinds of strength aside from physical prowess - but I fully agree that it'd be great to see strong female characters who are special because of their talents or strengths, not their looks or sexuality. Rand's undoubtedly a fine administrator and data processor, qualities which could be given the credit they're due and put to fine use in a suitable plot; same goes for Mulhall or Chapel, each of whom would have irreplacable talents in their fields that could save life and limb.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Indeed. Perhaps not so much on Rand with martial arts - 'cause there are other kinds of strength aside from physical prowess - but I fully agree that it'd be great to see strong female characters who are special because of their talents or strengths, not their looks or sexuality. Rand's undoubtedly a fine administrator and data processor, qualities which could be given the credit they're due and put to fine use in a suitable plot.
Yes, the only reason that I pitch Rand as the Buffy-style heroine is because I think they need to move away from the 'secretarial' aspect of all the recurring women. It would do the franchise some good to have a kick-a** woman for a change. Chapel, Mulhall, and Uhura are more cerebral characters whereas as Rand would not be out of place in a landing party with a security team. In fact, some of the yeomen in TOS were shown to have martial arts training.