The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek Shot in 70mm?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Midshipman

Default Star Trek Shot in 70mm?

There was a thread on Trekmovie.com that had some people visit the set on the movie currently being shot on the large sound stage at Paramount. He mentioned what looked like very large cameras, which he suggested might possibly be 70mm, but he wasn't sure.

Its also been said that the FX shots could be shot in 70mm for the film, which is a common practice. But if not that, is there any hope the entire movie could using 65mm Super Panavision cameras or even IMAX cameras? I don't suspect so basing that off of the teaser trailer which looks like 35mm anamorphic (scope). But my hopes would be up if they did some 65mm work on this film. Another said that its possible some key scenes were done in IMAX, since Paramount have a good standing with IMAX. And maybe this movie will be released in IMAX theaters as well? I've always been an advocate of shooting on 65mm film, whether 5 perf or 15 perf, as its a step up from 35mm origination.

Paramount- Can you confirm any of the above? Consider using 65mm in the future if you can. It's worth it.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Fleet Admiral

Well, I think it's safe to rule out the entire film being shot in IMAX — the cost and technical difficulty are prohibitive for a feature-length film.

Shooting features in 70mm is also much less popular now due to its expense, not to mention that printing films in 70mm is uncommon too which rather defeats the purpose of shooting it in the large format to start. One of 70mm's former advantages was high audio quality, but that's been erased in the era of digital sound recording and presentation.

Time will tell on the film's tech specs, but my guess is that Abrams isn't shooting main unit on 70mm for such reasons. Hopefully we'll get official word soon.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Rear Admiral

Movies are shot in 35MM these days, other formats have fallen to the waste side due movie theatres these days only have 35MM projectors. Of course then you have IMAX, but Major Motion Pictures are converted to IMAX sized film for those first run IMAX theatres.

Plus, you have to keep in mind, DLP is going to be the norm by 2010 for movie theatres, and IMAX is even going digital.

I think the look of film is great, and can not be duplicated digitally, but that is the way things are going. Digital films have their own look, which is good too.

Those of us that are old enough to remember Vinyl Records prefer the sound of vinyl to CD. But, the technology changed. As is film...
Old 03-07-2008, 02:46 AM
Federation Councillor

num nums-

As an owner of over 3,000 vinyl lp's, I agree with your statement. But I own 1000's of mp3's and cd's as well. But something about that vinyal sound....glorious.

But I digress...

Yes, I didn't think 70mm was that commly used anymore, because of exactly what you mentioned. DLP would tend to lend itself to manipulation without issues.

When I saw 2001:A Space Oddessy in re-release many many years ago, I was lucky enough to see the 70mm print. As good as it was, pales in comparison to the IMAX-Style format they now use in theatres.

But think Trek would look great in IMAX, would pay the extra few bucks to see it that way.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Rear Admiral

I'm sure if Paramount is spending all this money on the film, they will also convert it to IMAX or IMAX digital.

We used to have a movie theatre here that had one of the largest screens in America, aside from IMAX. That was where fans of Star Trek would go on opening day of a Trek movie and volunteer and assist customers and tear tickets.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Admiral

IMAX, 3D....it almost has to happen....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Midshipman

Given the nature of the film, I doubt it's even originating on celluloid. It's most likely being shot with Panavision Genesis cameras onto Sony HDCAM SR or some other digital format.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Rear Admiral

I was thinking the same thing. It will make it easier to put the movie on Blu-Ray as well.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Midshipman

If the cameras are as large as the person who saw them, I doubt they'd be shot on digital. If any Star Trek movie should be presented (and shot) on 65mm, this film would be it. I don't buy the arguement that its too expensive to shoot 65mm. They give actors huge pay contracts, and film is cheap by comparison. Also there are still plenty theaters out there that can show 70mm. First off transfering to IMAX would show the benefit, even if it is letterboxed. Secondly I've seen 2001 in a 70mm theater, and it was the best presentation I've seen on a screen as big as it was. The only thing that beats it is IMAX. Duping 65mm 5 perf to IMAX frames wouldn't even need DMR, since it would be a straight optical dupe. Also 5 perf theaters can now use DTS for sound, so 70mm is still viable. To ignore the picture quality over sound is rediculous. 35mm scope looks great, but its not 70mm. And there is no way at this time digital origination compares with film. It will take years yet to get to the level you can put film away. Plus digital looks like tv, not like movies.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
Movies are shot in 35MM these days… Of course then you have IMAX, but Major Motion Pictures are converted to IMAX sized film for those first run IMAX theatres.

Plus, you have to keep in mind, DLP is going to be the norm by 2010 for movie theatres, and IMAX is even going digital.…
While you're right about most movies being done in 35mm, I wouldn't expect JJ to be shooting in that format for this movie, just because he's taking the whole "new" tack here—updating the movie for the 21st century.

Also, I think you're dead on when you talk about IMAX. That format isn't very likely, either, and I'd bet that the movie never will show up in that format in the first place, because IMAX lacks widescreen.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's probably shooting 4-4-4 at either 2K or 4K, and if he's really going for the gusto with the whole "updated for the 21st century" thing, he'll be using Red Cameras.