The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > If you had your way what would you have changed
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
MrQ, even the first 2 season of TNG continued the inconsiatancies.

But if your going to point out the incisitancies in the film, and I agree there are, you also have to admit that "pure" Trek has many more becuase there's over what...700 hours of filmed Trek at this point?
Very true, but I found MOST of those inconsistencies are minor story points and not things we dealt with often. I mention beaming through shields because that has been stated over and over again, then First Contact went and screwwed that up!

I haven't really pointed out any inconsistencies other than the new take on effects. The truth is, we DON'T know whether ship sensors work while at warp in the NuTrekverse. I believe they DO because of prior knowledge of Trek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
But this film never made th claim to be set, or to operate by TOS or even TOS film sci-fi science rules.

There is a huge diffrence of what fans like you and I "know", and what is on screen fact.

Ok, if your sensor blind, how do you know exactly where you are in order to drop out of warp in the 5-10 seconds? Again. best guess.

Also more than one occasion in TOS, the ENT was altered by aliens, or soemthine to make it go warp 13 TOS scale. Spock's body operated by a push button remote. People turnned into geomteic shapes. Alot of silly stuff happened in TOS as well.

I have hear the SW "rip off" before, I saw the film 3 times, and never got that feeling from watching it.

All I'm saying is that all Trek has flaws we could go on and on about, so does this film. I'd say that alone makes it another part of the Trek universe.
First, even flying blind, they should be able to calculate when to drop out of warp so they can reach the destination at impulse shortly thereafter. Of course, the way the computer could not lock onto two falling bodies in a planets atmosphere, my guess is my PC is more powerful that the NuTrek Ent computer!

I wouldn't use the word "rip off" when describing the similarities I felt when I saw this scene. I would say JJ was after the "oooo...aahhhh" action thing when he did this scene. It was VERY much like the SW scene, only it was ship debris instead chunks of a planet.

Regarding all the "silly" TOS events... that is why I often can't sit through an entire episode of TOS!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Vice Admiral

could I say sorry for posting the unnecessary threads that go and on boring I know

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
could I say sorry for posting the unnecessary threads that go and on boring I know
It's alright; just understand that most of them all basically say the same thing in the title; and after awhile, it becomes somewhat tedious, at best.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post
It's ok; I'm just curious what else there is to complain about.
I'm certainly not offended he dislikes the film; that'd just be silly.
I'm just at the point where any more senseless ranting and whining
about what was "wrong" with the film seems utterly, and completely pointless.

And I just end up doing this:
I actually enjoyed the film once I let go of the idea I was supposed to be watching "Trek". It was a good action adventure space flick.

I would argue this ENTIRE forum is pointless when you look at it through the lens of real life and whether or not we have an effect on the production of Trek, yet here we ALL are.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 10-09-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Very true, but I found MOST of those inconsistencies are minor story points and not things we dealt with often. I mention beaming through shields because that has been stated over and over again, then First Contact went and screwwed that up!

I haven't really pointed out any inconsistencies other than the new take on effects. The truth is, we DON'T know whether ship sensors work while at warp in the NuTrekverse. I believe they DO because of prior knowledge of Trek.
Well, in a 2+ hour film, they can't explain all the technologies. Espeically in a "orgins" movie.

With FC, I took it to mean they had some update to the Transporters between the Galaxy Class and the Sovergin Class.

The "joystick" in Insureection was unforgivable.

Quote:
First, even flying blind, they should be able to calculate when to drop out of warp so they can reach the destination at impulse shortly thereafter. Of course, the way the computer could not lock onto two falling bodies in a planets atmoshphere, my guess is my PC is more powerful that the NuTrek Ent computer!

I would use the word "rip off" when describing the similaties I felt when I saw this scene. I would say JJ was after the "oooo...aahhhh" action thing when he did this scene. It was VERY much like the SW scene, only it was ship debris instead chunks of a planet.

Regarding all the "silly" TOS events... that is why I often can't sit through an entire episode of TOS!
Ok, how can the computer make any menaingful lock without sensors in a constanly moving universe? Sensors are the "eyes" of the ship.

Ok, while I don't think it was anything like SW, I will admit that there were several Ohh and Ahh moments all over the film. They tried to make a entertaining film for geneal moviegoers first, a good Trek film second. That is what it took to save the franchise.

Where were all "pure" Trek fans for the last 3 Trek films? Obviously not bying tickets to these films.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Commander

Quote:
I actually enjoyed the film once I let go of the idea I was supposed to be watching "Trek". It was a good action adventure space flick.

I would argue this ENTIRE forum is pointless when you look at it through the lens of real life and whether or not we have an effect on the production of Trek, yet here we ALL are.
Yeah, but sometimes I wonder if we all focused more on sharing ideas about the franchise instead of complaining about things we can't change, it'd be a much more civil place.
Granted, out of all the forums I have frequented in the last seven years, this one is probably the most civil.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
And, I don't think it fit Pike's character to pull back and wait,
Ummm, I suppose giving yourself a few seconds to take in your surroundings and the events transpiring around you can be technically called "waiting".
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
I'm sure he also weighed the fact they had no information on the scene and that would likely remain unchanged if they held up.

(In fact, they wouldn't be able to get any information until the drill completed its work. By that time, all they would discover was a Romulan ship in low Vulcan orbit, debris from seven Federation vessels in high Vulcan orbit and that the planet was starting to collapse in on itself, due to a black hole at its core. That was it.)

If they didn't go in when they did, Vulcan would still be destroyed, the high council would be dead (including both of Spock's parents), and the Enterprise probably wouldn't gain any valuable information on the Narada. That would put Earth in great jeopardy, probably sealing its fate before Pike and Co. could react.

No, Pike had to be bold. He had to continue on, despite the lack of information. Too much was at stake to just sit and wait for information to come to them.
Yes, Pike knew all this before he got there! The obvious truth is the scene was designed to create the "Ahhhhh!!! We must evade collision!!!" moment. Plain and simple. That is why reason fails when trying to justify it. Its something meant to be exciting and fun, NOT something to stop and think about.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post
Yeah, but sometimes I wonder if we all focused more on sharing ideas about the franchise instead of complaining about things we can't change, it'd be a much more civil place.
Granted, out of all the forums I have frequented in the last seven years, this one is probably the most civil.
Often times we DO share ideas when we talk about the ideas that already made it to screen that we did not like. I am not very creative. I mean, I can't sit here and write a script or book because all I do is draw a blank. But I can watch or read something THEN say what I disliked and how I would have changed it. I'm probably more like those pesky execs that "murder" an artist's work!

I wanted a new updated Trek that remained more like previous Trek. I didn't get that. Then I get an entirely different universe and that makes me care less for this NuTrek. I wanted to see how things would turn out, or how they came to be, in the Prime universe, NOT an alternate universe. The movie should have been called "Star Trekish"
Old 10-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Vice Admiral

interesting view you have on Nutrek

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 10-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Federation Councillor

So much of Star Trek should not be stopped and thought about or it falls to pieces -

Is the new film the same? - Yes.

Does that bother me? - No

Why? - it's typical Star Trek plot mechanics at work (ignoring the allegory elements which while often present are still tacked onto to often technically contrived circumstances).

Consideration of everything else is personal feelings at work.

courtesy of Saquist