The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > If you had your way what would you have changed
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post
You're right; you saw new takes on those effects; you're arguing over personal nostolgia which unfortunately I find, is weak at best.
And for the record, the stretching warp effect always bugged the hell out of me.
I'm right there with you, Vincent. While everyone is entitled to their personal "nostalgia," it's still just an aesthetic issue, which is always subjective. From my perspective, a personal dislike of the aesthetic doesn't make it a "bad film," even if you don't like the film because of it.

And, yeah, I never liked the stretching warp effect...I had hoped Star Trek: Enterprise would've done something closer to TOS (or the TOS movies), but was disappointed to see it was the same.

Quote:
And what would they do from a distance?
Sit in the briefing room ala' TNG, while Vulcan is still under attack?
And, I don't think it fit Pike's character to pull back and wait, based on his admiration for George Kirk and that "type" of officer Starfleet was missing. I'm sure he also weighed the fact they had no information on the scene and that would likely remain unchanged if they held up.

(In fact, they wouldn't be able to get any information until the drill completed its work. By that time, all they would discover was a Romulan ship in low Vulcan orbit, debris from seven Federation vessels in high Vulcan orbit and that the planet was starting to collapse in on itself, due to a black hole at its core. That was it.)

If they didn't go in when they did, Vulcan would still be destroyed, the high council would be dead (including both of Spock's parents), and the Enterprise probably wouldn't gain any valuable information on the Narada. That would put Earth in great jeopardy, probably sealing its fate before Pike and Co. could react.

No, Pike had to be bold. He had to continue on, despite the lack of information. Too much was at stake to just sit and wait for information to come to them.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I only call myself an "elitist" Trek fan because that is what others have called me. Because I know many of the minute details of Trek and wish for them to remain the same. Because I like the thoughtful side of Trek and gladly accepted the "nerd" label for being a fan.

There were two camps BEFORE the movie came out.
Oh, most definitely.
And I really do hope they explore the more thoughtful side of
Trek as well.

.....you know, in regards to this thread being just flamebait anyway....aren't there like, a bajillion threads just like this one?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
They forget how many incoistances exist in TOS.
To be completely honest, I'm not really a fan of TOS. I only like the TOS based movies. The TOS episodes are difficult for me watch all the way through.
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Come on Z, you can do better than this. Of course TOS was inconsistent with almost everything that came after it. Nobody (writers) expected fans to remember things like ship specs or whether or not you can transport while the shields are up. By the time TNG came around the producers and writers KNEW they had a fan based that DID care about details like that. That is why later incarnations of Trek did their best to be more consistent. Of course those attempts were not always successful, but at least there a many things us fans knew to be true or not true and expected an explanation when the script strayed from those "knowns".

I agree that sensors DO work while at warp, so I assume the ships were blinded by jamming. Who said they should have dropped out of warp outside the system, then "plod" into the battle? Why not drop out of warp within 5-10 seconds of being able to reach your destination at impulse?

Apples to oranges? Maybe. I simply believe the scene in Star Wars made more sense than this scene in Nu Trek because of what I know about Trek. I know the different universe is always used to explain away all these differences, but I only see that as more reason to not give a damn about this universe. Next movie we may get ANOTHER universe. That will be great, Each new show or movie should be in NEW universe so as to keep things exiting and NEW! We'll never know if you can beam through shields in this universe or that or if warp 9 is TNG warp 9 or based on TOS warp that goes all the up to, what was it 14? It will keep us on our toes! It'll be great!
MrQ, even the first 2 season of TNG continued the inconsiatancies.

But if your going to point out the incisitancies in the film, and I agree there are, you also have to admit that "pure" Trek has many more becuase there's over what...700 hours of filmed Trek at this point?

But this film never made th claim to be set, or to operate by TOS or even TOS film sci-fi science rules.

There is a huge diffrence of what fans like you and I "know", and what is on screen fact.

Ok, if your sensor blind, how do you know exactly where you are in order to drop out of warp in the 5-10 seconds? Again. best guess.

Also more than one occasion in TOS, the ENT was altered by aliens, or soemthine to make it go warp 13 TOS scale. Spock's body operated by a push button remote. People turnned into geomteic shapes. Alot of silly stuff happened in TOS as well.

I have hear the SW "rip off" before, I saw the film 3 times, and never got that feeling from watching it.

All I'm saying is that all Trek has flaws we could go on and on about, so does this film. I'd say that alone makes it another part of the Trek universe.

Quote:
To be completely honest, I'm not really a fan of TOS. I only like the TOS based movies. The TOS episodes are difficult for me watch all the way through.
I could spend hours on the inconistancies in the TOS movies....lol.
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Oh, most definitely.
And I really do hope they explore the more thoughtful side of
Trek as well.

.....you know, in regards to this thread being just flamebait anyway....aren't there like, a bajillion threads just like this one?
NO! No!! There are TEN bajillion threads like this one!!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
I'm right there with you, Vincent. While everyone is entitled to their personal "nostalgia," it's still just an aesthetic issue, which is always subjective. From my perspective, a personal dislike of the aesthetic doesn't make it a "bad film," even if you don't like the film because of it.

And, yeah, I never liked the stretching warp effect...I had hoped Star Trek: Enterprise would've done something closer to TOS (or the TOS movies), but was disappointed to see it was the same.

And, I don't think it fit Pike's character to pull back and wait, based on his admiration for George Kirk and that "type" of officer Starfleet was missing. I'm sure he also weighed the fact they had no information on the scene and that would likely remain unchanged if they held up.

(In fact, they wouldn't be able to get any information until the drill completed its work. By that time, all they would discover was a Romulan ship in low Vulcan orbit, debris from seven Federation vessels in high Vulcan orbit and that the planet was starting to collapse in on itself, due to a black hole at its core. That was it.)

If they didn't go in when they did, Vulcan would still be destroyed, the high council would be dead (including both of Spock's parents), and the Enterprise probably wouldn't gain any valuable information on the Narada. That would put Earth in great jeopardy, probably sealing its fate before Pike and Co. could react.

No, Pike had to be bold. He had to continue on, despite the lack of information. Too much was at stake to just sit and wait for information to come to them.
I bow to the might of your logic.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Commander

Quote:
NO! No!! There are TEN bajillion threads like this one!!
And that about settles it; we need a more active mod.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Federation Councillor

Nawwww..
Old 10-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Vice Admiral

is there no moderators what kind of forum is this

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 10-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Commander

.....just to cut down on the multiple Hate/Dislike/Raped-My-Childhood threads that all serve the same purpose.

.......and yes, I'm looking at you here, starwarsrcks.