The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Games/Toys > Games/Toys > AA/DST TOS Communicator is out.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default AA/DST TOS Communicator is out.

The AA/DST TOS Communicator is out. I picked up one from my LCS yesterday. Overall it's pretty nifty for about $30. The moire spins and the lights light and the buttons work.

Pushing the right most button gives a series of recorded lines from TOS. Pushing the leftmost button lights the emergency light, then closing the lid afterwards and waiting a few seconds the "incoming call" beep sounds.

This version is a knock off of the version sold through "Star Trek The Experience" (STTE) (about $60), which is a knock off of the version sold my Master Replicas (about $250). That being the case, there is sort of the copy of a copy effect with it comes to quality and the price versus quality of the three mentioned is very correlated: higher price equals higher quality in this case.

Still it's a nice "toy" that can be played with and dropped a few times and used as part of a costume with no worries about replacing something too expensive.

A good buy all the way around.

P.S. BigBadToyStor.com has special version with at least one extra sound clip.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Well its not a knock off as you say. It is quite simply a lower end product(yet is still very well done all things considered). With that said quality is not the best but what does one expext for 30 bucks?

I know the master replica version has had poor production quality for the price your paying. Best bet go with the one from the Experiance.

If you really want to save money get a playmates version and order a antenna grid from any of the replica companies and be good to go.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Lieutenant Commander

From what I've read around the web, the AA/DST version was a copy of the STTE version. And I've also read that the STTE version was a copy of the MR version. The STTE version is probably the best bet for a balance between price and quality. However, I've had no problems at all with my MR communicator. I flipped it open last night to compare it to the other two versions and it worked just fine.

I'd say the AA/DST version is superior to the Playmates version all the way around.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I just got mine (DST) through the mail today and I absolutely love it... I don't have anything to compare it with but I'm happy with what I got.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Midshipman

Is the flip-top antenna metal on this one?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Ensign

^ Yes, the lid is metal!

I received mine today from UPS as well. When I saw the review of it over at TrekMovie.com, I wasn't sure I would dig the oblong shape of it shown in the photos. But, man, that fact that it chirps when you flip it open and that you can set it to "page" you five seconds after you close the lid is so awesome!! I own the 1994 Playmates Classic Communicator that has buttons on the side that you must push to activate chirp sound and the page sound. Its shape seems more accurate, or perhaps more common, but the lid is plastic on it, and the electroplated gold color has worn off of the hinge rings from multiple use. But for play value this newer won just rocks!

Perhaps the only negative is the very audible motor sound you hear when it's open. The motor turns a dial inside to create the moire pattern on the inner screen - Great effect by the way! It was mildly distracting when I got it, but a co-worker unscrewed the back and greased the gears inside. You still hear the motor, but the noise is softer.

Last edited by Gone2TheFinalFrontier : 03-26-2008 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Added second paragraph, commenting on motor sound
Old 11-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Ensign

What are the differences between the darker box, and the blue box versions of the DST communicator?