The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > Phase II (1977 TV Series, Not the Online One)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 06:34 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
Heh - I think it had something to do with the budget. Apparently he'd only signed for 13 episodes. He might have drifted off and then moaned about how the show wasn't really Star Trek without Kirk!
They all signed for 13 episodes, that was standard for a new show in the 1970's. If it was a hit, then the season long contracts would have coem out.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:41 AM
Lieutenant

Wow - Grace Lee Whitney would have loved 13 episodes!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:56 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Wow - Grace Lee Whitney would have loved 13 episodes!
I don't belive she was even approached for Phase II.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Lieutenant

Lies! In all seriousness, her character was in TMP and appears in at least one of the Phase II scripts according to the book on the subject. I don't know if the second tier characters were slated to appear in every episode. Quite possibly they would have been appeared in maybe half the episodes and rotated with guest stars similar to TOS. Grace mght have been a regular or a guest star but she was definitely going to appear.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Federation Councillor

As long as she was strong Rand (Charlie X) not pathetic Rand (Miri) then she may have been of some use.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Lies! In all seriousness, her character was in TMP and appears in at least one of the Phase II scripts according to the book on the subject. I don't know if the second tier characters were slated to appear in every episode. Quite possibly they would have been appeared in maybe half the episodes and rotated with guest stars similar to TOS. Grace mght have been a regular or a guest star but she was definitely going to appear.
I'll have to go back and check. Grace Lee was let go from TOS because of her ongoing (through the 60's and 70's, sober now, and has been for 20 years)drinking problem.

I could see them (as you said) letting her have a "one off" perfomance on Phase II. But according to Grace Lee herself, she was still deep in the bottle, and her acting suffered greatly for it.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Lieutenant

The script mentioned in in my Phase II book was one where Rand was imitated by an alien on the ship. She is also mentioned in the draft of the pilot but as an ensign (she ended up in TMP as a chief petty officer). She was definitely intended to be a recurring character but who knows how regular. I think she sobered up in 1980, just after TMP actually.

One of things I liked about TMP was that it introduced quite a broad cast. There would have been too many too do justice if Kirk, Xon, McCoy, Decker, and Ilia would have been in the roles intended for Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Rand from TOS. I think the second tier characters would have been rotated.

Oooh and lets not forget that Chekov almost died in TMP. Who knows if they would have killed any of the regulars as Phase II progressed!
Old 10-05-2009, 04:39 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
The script mentioned in in my Phase II book was one where Rand was imitated by an alien on the ship. She is also mentioned in the draft of the pilot but as an ensign (she ended up in TMP as a chief petty officer). She was definitely intended to be a recurring character but who knows how regular. I think she sobered up in 1980, just after TMP actually.

One of things I liked about TMP was that it introduced quite a broad cast. There would have been too many too do justice if Kirk, Xon, McCoy, Decker, and Ilia would have been in the roles intended for Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Rand from TOS. I think the second tier characters would have been rotated.

Oooh and lets not forget that Chekov almost died in TMP. Who knows if they would have killed any of the regulars as Phase II progressed!

Ok, my info say they had thought of having her "guest star" in one episode. If it had worked out, she might have "guest starred " more.

Grace Lee indiactes in my info that it was 1982 when she sobered up, so we were both in the ball park.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:58 AM
Lieutenant

Think I would rather have seen her appear as a guest once or twice per season like Barclay than spend her time in brief scenes pushing transporter buttons like early O'Brien.

I was really disappointed that Mego didn't bring out the full TMP crew. I'm waiting for Art Asylum's Rand figure to come out so I can make a TMP custom. She may have been about 47 and an alcoholic but she was a cutie in that little jump suit.