The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > Phase II (1977 TV Series, Not the Online One)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2010, 02:59 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I agree on every one of those points.

Except I don't even think an Abrams-style film adaptation would have been likely, as ST would be a more distant memory, and a much less protected property. It wouldn't have demanded the level of respect it got from the Abrams people; 'any' first-time director could have been chosen to direct a here-this-summer-forgotten-the-next spoof of a movie based on "that old campy TV show" (which seems to be the attitude behind most TV-based movie adaptations).
Right, there is a quite good chance that without the Star Trek Movies, without TNG and all the many spin-offs it started and all the hype that came with it, a theatrical movie remake of TOS plus 13 Episodes of Phase II would have been similar in quality to the remade Lost in Space from 1998.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0-llt3anCA

And while its true that Abrams might not have been the one to make the remake, the point is that it would have become the fast-paced action-flick Sci-Fi in any case. Seems an Abrams-Like Star Trek whith plenty of splosions 'n' shootin' 'n' one liners was unavoidable, inevieatable, it was coming our way, nothing we could do to stop it, we where to see it and to like it, no matter wether we asked for it or not.

http://www.youtube.com/user/redlette...42/FRNHpX5_Ek8

However, I think one doesnt need to be a Star Trek Fan to know and acknowledge the potential the overall concept of the franchise had. Thats why I think we would very likely got a remake show made in the fashion of BSG. Because wether Phase II would have been canceled after 13 episodes, one season or two, Star Trek would have stayed a much apreciated Sci-Fi-Classic. Even in the nineties Kirk and Spock where broadly known even among people who never watched the movies or TNG or any other spin-of for that matter.

Last edited by Botany Bay : 10-14-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
Of course we can only speculate, but I think there is a fair chance Phase II would have been canceled after its first season.

TOS never made it among the Top 50 in ratings. The only reason it became a classic is because of the many reruns. And it only got its reruns because it survived for three seasons. And it only got a second and a third season because of the angry letter campaigns of the fans, who protested its announced cancellation, and because of Desilu Studios concept to make money of their shows mainly on the reruns. Since Desilus early days in the fifties they bought shows with a high potential for many reruns. They needed TOS to survive for at least three years.

The third season gave TOS a chance to become a classic because, back then, a show had to have three seasons in order to get 'stripped', meaning to get a daily rerun (and Lucille Ball, boss of Desilu, knew this). Had TOS made less then 70 episodes it would not have gotten stripped and thus would not have become a classic.

By 1978 however the business had changed drastically. A business concept like the concept of Desilu Studios was not possible anymore, shows had to make profits on their initial run. Battlestar Galactica fared much much better in ratings then TOS ever had (Top 10 to 20, if memory serves me), yet even Galactica got canceled after its first season, due to the high costs in comparision to alternative show-concepts, which would generate the same ratings and with less costs would generate higher profits.

I seriously doubt Phase II would have made it much higher in the ratings then Galactica, thus it would have been canceled too, maybe even in mid-season. And this time a letter campaign would not have saved it, because Paramount was not Desilu and the Paramount Network (would it ever have launched) would not have been the 1960ies NBC.

In 1984 however, when TNG came out, special effects where much cheaper and most of the sets from the Star Trek Movies could get reused (like the corridors, the transporter pad, sickbay and others). This reduced costs substantially. There was no William Shatner, no Leonard Nimoy and no DeForest Kelley to pay. Add to this that ILM was now a long established, highly professional and very organized VFX-Factory, not a rather chaotic workshop full of hippies, like in 1978. This reduced costs even more...
I think thats why TNG survived its first season, despite its terrible writing.

And remember, Phase II would have looked and felt a lot like TNGs first season.

So, thats why I am convinced Phase II would not have seen more episodes being made then the allready greenlit 13, and whith Phase II canceled after a mere dozen episodes and no movies beeing made... that would have been the end of Star Trek untill after the year 2000, when Hollywood got into remakes.

Maybe we would have gotten a Star Trek remake show instead of the remade Battlestar Galactica, or maybe Abrams-Trek would have become the only piece of Star Trek since 1980. No Wrath of Khan nor The Undiscovered Country, no TNG, DS9, no VOY nor ENT...

It appears that The Motion Picture was the best that ever happened to Star Trek after the decision of NBC to fund a second pilot. And TMP was only being made because the Paramount Network, where Phase II was supposed to run, was not.
I agree with a lot of that basic analysis.

There's just no way that Phase Two would have been a ratings slam dunk and if the problems of TNG (much as I actually rather like season 1 personally) were indicative, then Phase Two would have many of the same issues.

Issues that may not have had time given to them to correct.

Then, you got no TV show, no movies, no spin-off series and pretty much all your left with is TOS on it's own.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
I agree that the series would have been similar in tone to season one of TNG but it doesn't automatically follow that this would have been the end of it. Most sci fi shows in the seventies didn't make it past two seasons, usually with alterations in series 2 (often cast reductions and an injection of more action to boost ratings - similar to what we saw in TOS over 3 seasons).
Yes, but if you think about the two big sci-fi weekly shows that emerged in the late 70s post Wars, which were Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. Both were quite heavily altered between their first and second runs.

Galactica became Galactica 80 and brought Earth in instead of the journey and BR dumped Earth in favour of an almost Star Trek like ship out on an exploratory mission style plot.

But in the 1970s it was not just the norm to tinker with the show, it became more like reinventing the show and giving it a whole different style format.

It's possible that could also have happened.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-21-2010, 02:54 AM
Lieutenant

Don't forget Space 1999. Season 2 was altered to add more cheesy action and a new hunky Kirk-like hero. I missed Barry Morse though.

I uploaded part 2 of my cheesy TMP-based story to Youtube now if anybody is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pauln6
Old 10-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Federation Councillor

I'm not as familiar with Space 1999 - I've only seen a handful of eps here and there.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Lieutenant

I uploaded part 3 of my story to Youtube - bit of a filler episode. I think I need to work out a way to get Kirk into a love clinch with the Betazoid ambassador...
Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Ensign

I used to have the Phase II book and I remember some of the story ideas that would include Kirk being in the era of Pearl Harbor or a look into Klingon society. The Next Generation's Child episode originated from Phase II.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Lieutenant

I'm pretty sure that both those episodes are being made by the amateur Phase II crowd. They aren't using Ilia for 'the Child' but a different Deltan character.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Ensign

Hopefully the people doing the online Phase 2 series will bring its story ideas from the books and notes to life.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Phase 2 would have been a good show, except for Illia who was a rubbish character.

Would have preferred it to TMP, which was awful.