The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > Phase II (1977 TV Series, Not the Online One)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Federation Councillor

It wants me to download additional plug-ins to see it all. Will have to take a look at it later.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-10-2010, 01:45 AM
Lieutenant

I'm not very technologically savvy unfortunately. The file is 44MB so I figured uploading it to my webspace was an easy way to see what a few people think. Thanks for looking though!

EDIT: Several of my friends have been able to watch it so it should work if your WMV player is up to date I suppose. Maybe try updating that first and see if it negates the need to download anything once you are on the webpage.

Last edited by Pauln6 : 07-12-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Has anyone noticed how Tim Russ has ended up as the school principal on Nickelodeon's "iCarly"?

Yep. My kids watch it all the time. My son is crushing all over Sam.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Captain

Cool

LOL...Jeanette McCurdy's going to be a pretty lady when she grows up...he might as well get dibs in now!

People thought I was silly when I was 15 having a crush on a 14 year old girl who had just released her first movie back in the late 70s...

That girl has since gone on to have quite a career...and I still have a crush on her...

The lady in question is the beautiful Diane Lane...
Old 08-06-2010, 05:02 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
LOL...Jeanette McCurdy's going to be a pretty lady when she grows up...he might as well get dibs in now!

People thought I was silly when I was 15 having a crush on a 14 year old girl who had just released her first movie back in the late 70s...

That girl has since gone on to have quite a career...and I still have a crush on her...

The lady in question is the beautiful Diane Lane...
You are so right! I have been a secret admirer of Ms. Lane for most of my adult life! She is amazing!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Captain

Cool

And besides being one of God's more beautiful creations, she seems like she's a normal person if encountered...

It's just a shame she's married to such a slug...

Old 10-13-2010, 04:29 AM
Lieutenant

Yay - I managed to purchase a full set of TMP/Phase II figurines on Ebay. If they arrive, fingers crossed, I will have at least one of every figurine except Ilia in uniform (she seems to be the holy grail). I've been looking into cutome figurine making with a view to producing some extra crew of my own but I think my reach may exceed my grasp here. Does anybody here know anything about making lead/pewter figurines?

Oh yeah and I finally uploaded part one my cheesy TMP story to Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT2xSvU6row
Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Captain

Of course we can only speculate, but I think there is a fair chance Phase II would have been canceled after its first season.

TOS never made it among the Top 50 in ratings. The only reason it became a classic is because of the many reruns. And it only got its reruns because it survived for three seasons. And it only got a second and a third season because of the angry letter campaigns of the fans, who protested its announced cancellation, and because of Desilu Studios concept to make money of their shows mainly on the reruns. Since Desilus early days in the fifties they bought shows with a high potential for many reruns. They needed TOS to survive for at least three years.

The third season gave TOS a chance to become a classic because, back then, a show had to have three seasons in order to get 'stripped', meaning to get a daily rerun (and Lucille Ball, boss of Desilu, knew this). Had TOS made less then 70 episodes it would not have gotten stripped and thus would not have become a classic.

By 1978 however the business had changed drastically. A business concept like the concept of Desilu Studios was not possible anymore, shows had to make profits on their initial run. Battlestar Galactica fared much much better in ratings then TOS ever had (Top 10 to 20, if memory serves me), yet even Galactica got canceled after its first season, due to the high costs in comparision to alternative show-concepts, which would generate the same ratings and with less costs would generate higher profits.

I seriously doubt Phase II would have made it much higher in the ratings then Galactica, thus it would have been canceled too, maybe even in mid-season. And this time a letter campaign would not have saved it, because Paramount was not Desilu and the Paramount Network (would it ever have launched) would not have been the 1960ies NBC.

In 1984 however, when TNG came out, special effects where much cheaper and most of the sets from the Star Trek Movies could get reused (like the corridors, the transporter pad, sickbay and others). This reduced costs substantially. There was no William Shatner, no Leonard Nimoy and no DeForest Kelley to pay. Add to this that ILM was now a long established, highly professional and very organized VFX-Factory, not a rather chaotic workshop full of hippies, like in 1978. This reduced costs even more...
I think thats why TNG survived its first season, despite its terrible writing.

And remember, Phase II would have looked and felt a lot like TNGs first season.

So, thats why I am convinced Phase II would not have seen more episodes being made then the allready greenlit 13, and whith Phase II canceled after a mere dozen episodes and no movies beeing made... that would have been the end of Star Trek untill after the year 2000, when Hollywood got into remakes.

Maybe we would have gotten a Star Trek remake show instead of the remade Battlestar Galactica, or maybe Abrams-Trek would have become the only piece of Star Trek since 1980. No Wrath of Khan nor The Undiscovered Country, no TNG, DS9, no VOY nor ENT...

It appears that The Motion Picture was the best that ever happened to Star Trek after the decision of NBC to fund a second pilot. And TMP was only being made because the Paramount Network, where Phase II was supposed to run, was not.

Last edited by Botany Bay : 10-13-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Lieutenant

I agree that the series would have been similar in tone to season one of TNG but it doesn't automatically follow that this would have been the end of it. Most sci fi shows in the seventies didn't make it past two seasons, usually with alterations in series 2 (often cast reductions and an injection of more action to boost ratings - similar to what we saw in TOS over 3 seasons). I also agree that Shatner's wages might have priced him out of the show by season two but having said that, TNG proved (against most people's expectations) that the show could survive and thrive without the original characters. It's hard to know how much support the original supporting characters would have received with the same plots as TNG but it's not inconceivable that Phase II could have taken on a life of its own.

If anything I think the weakness in Phase II would have been its tendency to neglect the secondary characters. In TNG, everybody was new and was designed with backgrounds that made them capable of development and holding a story of their own. Even then, Tasha was very much neglected beyond about episode 4 and they struggled to think of some way to use Troi that didn't ruin their mystery plots.

Much as I love Sulu, Uhura, Chapel, and Rand, I struggle to imagine any writers at the time writing stories that truly engaged the characters as the keystone of a plot. This would still have been Kirk, Decker, McCoy, Xon, and Ilia's show. Scotty and Chekov fit into the middle ground because their comic potential (and the requirement of the engineer in many plots) elevate them slightly above the others.

In TOS, Rand was capable of fitting into the latter category. Although the character was intended to be equal in status to McCoy and involved on many landing parties, her status as a non-com left her as a bit of an outsider - the dumb blonde to whom everythig could be explained for the sake of exposition. I was most unhappy that the character was jettisoned half way through season one and I'm even more miffed that efforts to bring her back as a guest star and later in the movies didn't come to full fruition. So while Rand could certainly have held a story as a main character, I think that boat had sailed by the time Phase II came round. I think she was expected to be an occasional guest star, so it's possible that she might have got something worthwhile to do, but unlikely.

Last edited by Pauln6 : 10-14-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:27 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
Of course we can only speculate, but I think there is a fair chance Phase II would have been canceled after its first season.

TOS never made it among the Top 50 in ratings. The only reason it became a classic is because of the many reruns. And it only got its reruns because it survived for three seasons. And it only got a second and a third season because of the angry letter campaigns of the fans, who protested its announced cancellation, and because of Desilu Studios concept to make money of their shows mainly on the reruns. Since Desilus early days in the fifties they bought shows with a high potential for many reruns. They needed TOS to survive for at least three years.

The third season gave TOS a chance to become a classic because, back then, a show had to have three seasons in order to get 'stripped', meaning to get a daily rerun (and Lucille Ball, boss of Desilu, knew this). Had TOS made less then 70 episodes it would not have gotten stripped and thus would not have become a classic.

By 1978 however the business had changed drastically. A business concept like the concept of Desilu Studios was not possible anymore, shows had to make profits on their initial run. Battlestar Galactica fared much much better in ratings then TOS ever had (Top 10 to 20, if memory serves me), yet even Galactica got canceled after its first season, due to the high costs in comparision to alternative show-concepts, which would generate the same ratings and with less costs would generate higher profits.

I seriously doubt Phase II would have made it much higher in the ratings then Galactica, thus it would have been canceled too, maybe even in mid-season. And this time a letter campaign would not have saved it, because Paramount was not Desilu and the Paramount Network (would it ever have launched) would not have been the 1960ies NBC.

In 1984 however, when TNG came out, special effects where much cheaper and most of the sets from the Star Trek Movies could get reused (like the corridors, the transporter pad, sickbay and others). This reduced costs substantially. There was no William Shatner, no Leonard Nimoy and no DeForest Kelley to pay. Add to this that ILM was now a long established, highly professional and very organized VFX-Factory, not a rather chaotic workshop full of hippies, like in 1978. This reduced costs even more...
I think thats why TNG survived its first season, despite its terrible writing.

And remember, Phase II would have looked and felt a lot like TNGs first season.

So, thats why I am convinced Phase II would not have seen more episodes being made then the allready greenlit 13, and whith Phase II canceled after a mere dozen episodes and no movies eeing made... that would have been the end of Star Trek untill after the year 2000, when Hollywood got into remakes.

Maybe we would have gotten a Star Trek remake show instead of the remade Battlestar Galactica, or maybe Abrams-Trek would have become the only piece of Star Trek since 1980. No Wrath of Khan nor The Undiscovered Country, no TNG, DS9, no VOY nor ENT...

It appears that The Motion Picture was the best that ever happened to Star Trek after the decision of NBC to fund a second pilot. And TMP was only being made because the Paramount Network, where Phase II was supposed to run, was not.
I agree on every one of those points.

Except I don't even think an Abrams-style film adaptation would have been likely, as ST would be a more distant memory, and a much less protected property. It wouldn't have demanded the level of respect it got from the Abrams people; 'any' first-time director could have been chosen to direct a here-this-summer-forgotten-the-next spoof of a movie based on "that old campy TV show" (which seems to be the attitude behind most TV-based movie adaptations).