The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why you hate this movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
That sounds cool!
It is! I also made an extended version of "The Menagerie" with all the footage from "The Cage" that was left out edited in. It's almost 2 hours long. Looks good too with the remastered Cage footage edited in.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
Living part of your life (even if it's the most part) in the States doesn't make you American. Nowhere does it say that either James Doohan or William Shatner have their American citizenship. Sorry, but they are Canadians.
In the Star Trek Universe:

Was there a country "United States of America" or other "Countries" after WWIII, and before the forming of the Federation. I do not remember any mention of standing "countries", so to speak, though there were the implied "regions", allowing for Scotty to be "Scottish", Checkov to be "Russian"...etc.

Just curious.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:01 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
In the Star Trek Universe:

Was there a country "United States of America" or other "Countries" after WWIII, and before the forming of the Federation. I do not remember any mention of standing "countries", so to speak, though there were the implied "regions", allowing for Scotty to be "Scottish", Checkov to be "Russian"...etc.

Just curious.
Hmmm. I don't remember exactly. In "The Cage", one of the scientists on Talos IV said he was from the American Continent Institute. Whether it was North or South America, who knows? There was also an episode of TNG where a 20th or 21st century ship was found and there was an American flag aboard that had more than 50 stars on it. I don't know if it was pre- or post-WWIII though. That would be interesting to research.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Federation Councillor

'The Royale' TNG Season 2.

It implies the USA existed as a political entity into the 21st Century before being absorbed into likely future Earth Governments.

'Encounter at Farpoint' talks about the United Earth Government which seems to gave been around by 2079. It might indicate the USA ceased to be a separate 'power' by that time and that may have been connected to all the wars that seem to riddle the 21st Century.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Vice Admiral

You know what the more I watch NuTrek I still really love it lots and lots hope that doesn't bother you but that's my opinion

ps I really enjoy the movie for what it is

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy

Last edited by starwarsrcks : 02-05-2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Living part of your life (even if it's the most part) in the States doesn't make you American. Nowhere does it say that either James Doohan or William Shatner have their American citizenship. Sorry, but they are Canadians.
So you're an immigration expert?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Actually, yes it does. If you live in the USA for a certain period of time and take the various tests, etc, you can become an American citizen. Therefore, you are American at that point. No matter where you may be from "originally". But I have no idea if any of the non-American born Trek actors ever obtained citizenship. And what does it matter anyway? I don't really care where they are from. All I care about is that they portrayed my favorite space heroes in 79 episodes and 6 movies about my favorite sci-fi franchise! STAR TREK Baby!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Vice Admiral

Well that's good that you prefer the 79 episodes and the actors that portrayed your heroes anyway am I wrong for liking both NuTrek and TOS.

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 02-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
Well that's good that you prefer the 79 episodes and the actors that portrayed your heroes anyway am I wrong for liking both NuTrek and TOS.
No. It's not wrong. You can like them both if you want. And that's great. I'm glad that people are able to reconcile the differences and enjoy both TrueTrek and NuTrek at the same time. I can't do it. I can't enjoy NuTrek because it's not true Star Trek to me. That's just my opinion and the way I feel about it. Your opinion differs and that is just fine. So carry on!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

"I will not carry a gun, Frank. When I got thrown into this war I had a clear understanding with the Pentagon: no guns. I'll carry your books, I'll carry a torch, I'll carry a tune, I'll carry on, carry over, carry forward, Cary Grant, cash and carry, carry me back to Old Virginia, I'll even 'hari-kari' if you show me how, but I will not carry a gun!"