The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why you hate this movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #601  
Old 01-31-2010, 12:05 PM
starwarsrcks's Avatar
starwarsrcks starwarsrcks is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,062
Default

Urban was great why so much issues with every aspect
__________________



Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Reply With Quote
  #602  
Old 01-31-2010, 12:06 PM
janeway72's Avatar
janeway72 janeway72 is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Federation Starship Voyager
Posts: 4,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
It was better, but it wasn't totally brilliant for me, I have to say. A little too heavy in places.
There were points where it wasn;t great but I tend to let him off with a few small lapses. Only the Scots in the audience would have noticed. I stopped worrying so much about those things when I saw Mel Gibson's William Wallace versus Liam Neeson's Rob Roy. Gibson wins hands down (firstly for making an effort, and secondly for having a pretty good Scottish accent)
__________________

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Reply With Quote
  #603  
Old 01-31-2010, 12:06 PM
JamesTKirk1701's Avatar
JamesTKirk1701 JamesTKirk1701 is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
There's aged and then there's the age the character is meant to be. Sinise looks his age (by which I mean he looks good for a guy in his mid 50s, but by the same token IMO, not for a man in his late 30s/early 40s).

Not that I'm saying he wouldn't have made a great McCoy (believe me, I can see it) but wrong timing.
Deforst Kelley was 46 when he played as Mccoy. I don't care about the actor's age I care about their ability to play the part. Karl Urban did just an ok job. Sinise's voice is also similar to Kelley's.
Reply With Quote
  #604  
Old 01-31-2010, 12:07 PM
JamesTKirk1701's Avatar
JamesTKirk1701 JamesTKirk1701 is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
And what snobish thing did she to? Does saying no to the local farmboy make you a snob or what? And what's this black thing, I'd say you are being borderline racist and complete missing the point of who Uhura originally way. A strong female black character who has inspired many black women. Trek wasn't a friggin' WASP show.
Don't go there.
Reply With Quote
  #605  
Old 01-31-2010, 12:07 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
There were points where it wasn;t great but I tend to let him off with a few small lapses. Only the Scots in the audience would have noticed. I stopped worrying so much about those things when I saw Mel Gibson's William Wallace versus Liam Neeson's Rob Roy. Gibson wins hands down (firstly for making an effort, and secondly for having a pretty good Scottish accent)
I've never seen Braveheart since 1995 and I've never seen Rob Roy at all.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #606  
Old 01-31-2010, 12:09 PM
JamesTKirk1701's Avatar
JamesTKirk1701 JamesTKirk1701 is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I've never seen Braveheart since 1995 and I've never seen Rob Roy at all.
Gibson lived in Australia most of his earlier life so the accent came natural. Doohan was American so his accent was pretty good for an American playing a Scotsman.
Reply With Quote
  #607  
Old 01-31-2010, 12:09 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
Deforst Kelley was 46 when he played as Mccoy. I don't care about the actor's age I care about their ability to play the part. Karl Urban did just an ok job. Sinise's voice is also similar to Kelley's.
Well, Urban seems to have convinced most people but as with everything, not everyone.

Personally, Sinise could have been great but he's far too much older than the rest of the cast.

I imagine we'll have to agree to differ on that part too.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #608  
Old 01-31-2010, 12:11 PM
JamesTKirk1701's Avatar
JamesTKirk1701 JamesTKirk1701 is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Well, Urban seems to have convinced most people but as with everything, not everyone.

Personally, Sinise could have been great but he's far too much older than the rest of the cast.

I imagine we'll have to agree to differ on that part too.
Alot of people blindly ate the movie up like shepherd's pie so I am not surprised he convinced most people.
Reply With Quote
  #609  
Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 PM
janeway72's Avatar
janeway72 janeway72 is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Federation Starship Voyager
Posts: 4,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
Gibson lived in Australia most of his earlier life so the accent came natural. Doohan was American so his accent was pretty good for an American playing a Scotsman.
How does being brought up in Australia make a Scottish accent easier? You can either do accents or not. It clearly wasn't Doohan's forte. And his accent was rubbish (IMHO as a Scot). I let him away with it only because he is James Doohan.
__________________

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Reply With Quote
  #610  
Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 PM
starwarsrcks's Avatar
starwarsrcks starwarsrcks is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,062
Default

Not you obviously
__________________



Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.