The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Generations-What Did You Like? What Did You Hate?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
That the same droll monotone guy who keeps joking about killing his wife in a car accident? I don't agree with a lot of his points (and far be it for me to actually defend most of the TNG films). But he is pretty sharp, I'll give him that.
Yep, his videos are among the best put together ones I've ever seen posted around here!

While I agree with several of the key points (if not some of the littler ones - but hey, we can all find little things to gripe about here and there) overall they are pretty entertaining to watch!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-13-2010, 06:07 AM
Ensign

I loved Generations, always have since I was a kid, it may be a glorified feature length episode of TNG, but it was awesome, especially the Enterprise D crash seeing the Ent-D in HQ was brilliant too and the bridge looked amazing

And to those who go on about Kirk dying...wouldnt he have left a 'shadow' of himself in the Nexus, like Guinan?
Old 02-13-2010, 06:19 AM
Federation Councillor

Well, it depends on POV since none of the following is strictly canonical but according to Ronald D. Moore

"Guinan, Soran, and the other El-Aurians are in some kind of transitional phase going into the Nexus when their ships begin exploding. The Enterprise-B beams them away at a crucial moment that brings their physical bodies back, but leaves behind some kind of "echo" (at least for Guinan – whether or not Soren also left behind an "echo" was the subject of much debate and many rewrites, some including a Soren doppelganger and some even including a meeting between the two Sorens in the Nexus). The momentary sensation of being in the Nexus leaves both Guinan and Soren with an almost overpowering desire to return. When Kirk is pulled into the Nexus, there's no transporter beam to yank him away and hence, he's completely left inside. When Picard and Soren enter the Nexus years later, they too are pulled in completely and the idea of an "echo" should not apply since it was the direct result of a transporter fluke in a very specific instance." (AOL chat, 1997)

From - http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Nexus

However, I don't think the Generations script particularly explains that onscreen and I would agree the viewer could be left with the impression that Kirk had an 'echo' that was left behind.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-13-2010, 06:38 AM
Ensign

Ah, I see, I'd like to think an echo of Picard and Kirk would be left behind there, I guess its up to the viewer
Old 02-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Federation Councillor

It's been awhile since I watched it - but I think (in theory) there's nothing that could outright refute the idea.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Ah, I see, I'd like to think an echo of Picard and Kirk would be left behind there, I guess its up to the viewer
I think logic dictates that there must be an echo of both in it.
Because while there is no beginnig nor end in the nexus, if you once set foot in the nexus you are there for every point in time, for infinity therefore you can't leave it completely.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Federation Councillor

And that's the impression the film gives - even if interestingly the writers seem to have had the opposite intention.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Ensign

The only things I enjoyed from Generations was the team-up of Captains Kirk and Picard and the destruction of Enterprise-D. Everything else I didn't care about and the plot didn't come together cohesively.