The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Was Janeway too rash?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-22-2009, 07:18 AM
janeway72's Avatar
janeway72 janeway72 is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Federation Starship Voyager
Posts: 4,977
Default

I agree, horatio. A bit of Maquis/ starfleet conflict would have made the whole thing a bit more believable in the beginning. But by the time of the Equinox, they had been through so much that they were a single unit based mainly on Starfleet. And for once, Chakotay was right to stop Janeway.

I also think that Seven became a crew member just a bit too quickly. One episode and she was Starfleet personified.
__________________

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Good point, both crews had to work together to survive. But there was no real discussion about policy, no compromise, Janeway wanted it to be a Starfleet vessel and the Maquis obediently rolled over.
I like VOY, but I think that they played it too safe such that the end result was a slightly weak TNG 2.0. DS9 did abandon some old formulae and VOY could have dared to do it too.

Or in other writing concept terms, don't impose the way upon your characters but go along with them. And going along with Maquis and Starfleet people on one ship leads at least to some conflict. The few episodes which dealt with it were usually good episodes.
I agree overall. I don't think they "rolled over" so much as realized the gravity of the situation. But I agree alot of Season 1 drama was missed by trying to "move the show along."

They could have had the oppertunity to have to make phyisical changes to the ship by incorperating whatever technology they could find and use.

Also missed the opeprtunity to have to occasionally abandon Starfleet principals/ethics/ ways of doing things for the "greater good" of the Voyager community.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
I'm not sure you can hold the young Janeway to account for the actions of her older self. She could be a bit of a hypocrite when it came to the TPD though. I'm not sure that I wouldn't be in her situation. Annorax was wiping out entire civilisations for his gain whereas she just wanted to get 150 people back to their families.
Annorax wanted his family back as well - where's the real difference. That was his aim too.

But in erasing that future, how many planets/races/people that Voyager may have helped or come into contact with did she then possibly damage or deal a poorer hand?

She wiped out years of the voyage that could have it's own consequences - like a ripple.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-22-2009, 10:09 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Good point, both crews had to work together to survive. But there was no real discussion about policy, no compromise, Janeway wanted it to be a Starfleet vessel and the Maquis obediently rolled over.
I like VOY, but I think that they played it too safe such that the end result was a slightly weak TNG 2.0. DS9 did abandon some old formulae and VOY could have dared to do it too.

Or in other writing concept terms, don't impose the way upon your characters but go along with them. And going along with Maquis and Starfleet people on one ship leads at least to some conflict. The few episodes which dealt with it were usually good episodes, just take "Worst Case Scenario".
YES!! this is my whole problem with VOY - it's like TNG 2.0, and I like version 1 just fine without the need for an update!
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

IIRC, the producers and writers wanted to focus more on the ship meeting new (bumpy-headed) aliens each week rather than deal with conflicts among the crew.
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
IIRC, the producers and writers wanted to focus more on the ship meeting new (bumpy-headed) aliens each week rather than deal with conflicts among the crew.
Definately.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Which given the concept, was I feel, the wrong course to set. But I also feel they did that because they already had a darker and more serious show with DS9 and didn't want a second series at the same time with dark themes.

But then, I feel in that case, they shouldn't have stranded them out in the unknown. They could have kept them closer to home and done many of the same stories.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Which given the concept, was I feel, the wrong course to set. But I also feel they did that because they already had a darker and more serious show with DS9 and didn't want a second series at the same time with dark themes.

But then, I feel in that case, they shouldn't have stranded them out in the unknown. They could have kept them closer to home and done many of the same stories.
But they felt the Kazon would be more threatening than funny....

They hoped the more "exotic" aliens we hadn't seen before woudl give the show more of TOS but not TOS feel.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
But they felt the Kazon would be more threatening than funny....

They hoped the more "exotic" aliens we hadn't seen before woudl give the show more of TOS but not TOS feel.
Possibly. I think it failed on all counts, but that's just me.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Possibly. I think it failed on all counts, but that's just me.
It was overall was good series.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.