The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Was Janeway too rash?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 04:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Until she erased an entire timeline and copied Annorax (whom she previously held to account for his actions playing with time) in order to get her crew home 'at all costs' and give Seven and Chakotay a wince-inducing rom-com ending!!

Let's see - he can't cause unknown consequences, but she can, and gets hailed a hero for it? Gets an Admirals promotion?
I'm not sure you can hold the young Janeway to account for the actions of her older self. She could be a bit of a hypocrite when it came to the TPD though. I'm not sure that I wouldn't be in her situation. Annorax was wiping out entire civilisations for his gain whereas she just wanted to get 150 people back to their families.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 09-22-2009, 05:10 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
I'm not sure you can hold the young Janeway to account for the actions of her older self. She could be a bit of a hypocrite when it came to the TPD though. I'm not sure that I wouldn't be in her situation. Annorax was wiping out entire civilisations for his gain whereas she just wanted to get 150 people back to their families.
I think she walked a very fine line between trying to maintain some sort of Starfleet decorum in a situation that it really ddin't apply to.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Until she erased an entire timeline and copied Annorax (whom she previously held to account for his actions playing with time) in order to get her crew home 'at all costs' and give Seven and Chakotay a wince-inducing rom-com ending!!

Let's see - he can't cause unknown consequences, but she can, and gets hailed a hero for it? Gets an Admirals promotion?

If she was going to abuse time-travel for her own ends it makes a complete mockery of the initial concept of getting home honestly. She would have been as well using the Caretaker in the pilot and saving herself 7 years of effort.
So true but that had been established in her character.
She follows the rules untill they take something precious from her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
You gotta admit she had a reason to be a bit nuts.

A Starfleet captain was killing sentient beings in an effort to "get home at all costs."

Janeway saw, that with a few turns, that could have been Voyager.
I really don't think ejecting an ensign out the cargo bay is good for anything.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:55 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post

Depends on the Engsin!!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
She was only going to let the said sentient beings exact their revenge on the ensign. She wasn't going to eject him into space. The voyager crew kept that little trick for the Borg!

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well, she went a bit too far but Chakotay got her back.

Overall Equinox was superb in showing how Janeway reacts to someone who does not play by the book. It would have potentially been more interesting with an unstable Maquis situation on the ship, as Janeway seemed to just defend her principles to the death, without any real danger that anyone aboard the Voyager would favour the behaviour of Ransom and his crew.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Well, she went a bit too far but Chakotay got her back.

Overall Equinox was superb in showing how Janeway reacts to someone who does not play by the book. It would have potentially been more interesting with an unstable Maquis situation on the ship, as Janeway seemed to just defend her principles to the death, without any real danger that anyone aboard the Voyager would favour the behaviour of Ransom and his crew.
Well by that point Voyager knew the Maquis was no more in the Alpha Quadrent, and the Maquis crewpeople had become Starfleet (In Jnaeway's eyes) by then.

Well Ransom showed his 'true colors" too early in the story for my liking. It was the excellent acting of John Savage that kept that charater from just being another "Crazy Capatin."
Old 09-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

It's more about how Equinox might have play out had the Maquis been more aggressive. If you casually watched the first season of VOY, you did not necessarily know that this is a hybrid crew. First all the Maquis are pissed off because Janeway destroyed the array and then they behave nicely because chief Chakotay says so?

Of course we don't expect regular fights on the ship from Star Trek, but an uneasy truce between Starfleet and Maquis and an underlying tension might have lead to better stories. Equinox just proves this and reminds us of a lost opportunity.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
It's more about how Equinox might have play out had the Maquis been more aggressive. If you casually watched the first season of VOY, you did not necessarily know that this is a hybrid crew. First all the Maquis are pissed off because Janeway destroyed the array and then they behave nicely because chief Chakotay says so?

Of course we don't expect regular fights on the ship from Star Trek, but an uneasy truce between Starfleet and Maquis and an underlying tension might have lead to better stories. Equinox just proves this and reminds us of a lost opportunity.
I doin't think it was becuase "Chakotay says" says so much as they realized that they had no real choice. Everybody realized they needed each other to survive in the Delta Quadrent pretty quickly.

Equinox I agree did show us how easily Voayger could have fell into the same problems Ransom and his crew had.

But the Eqinox was a much smaller vessel than even Voayger, and need more Starbase support, so things went bad alot more quickly for them.

Voyager could stay out for a small stay without Starbase support (Hense the reason things got rationed and grown aboard ship), but it was never meant to go exploring for years like A Galaxy Class, or even an Excelcior Class.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Fleet Admiral

Good point, both crews had to work together to survive. But there was no real discussion about policy, no compromise, Janeway wanted it to be a Starfleet vessel and the Maquis obediently rolled over.
I like VOY, but I think that they played it too safe such that the end result was a slightly weak TNG 2.0. DS9 did abandon some old formulae and VOY could have dared to do it too.

Or in other writing concept terms, don't impose the way upon your characters but go along with them. And going along with Maquis and Starfleet people on one ship leads at least to some conflict. The few episodes which dealt with it were usually good episodes, just take "Worst Case Scenario".