The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Bowling Alley Seen At Long Last????!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Admiral

ya know....I'd like to see a rest room...maybe not a "public" one (because, you know they have those) but I'd like a gander at Kirk's bathroom...does he really have a tub as some have speculated? Does he have a full length mirror? (because, in his quarters all we see is a little round mirror that barely shows his shoulders)

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Ensign

Kirk claims he once bowled a perfect game at the Enterprise's alley, but most of the crew think he's lying.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:40 AM
Federation Councillor

Eliza-

I allways figured Kirk's bathroom looks like an Austin Powers bathroom....lol...

Cold-

But no one SAW him bowl that perfect game.....lol.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

He set his phaser on "300" -- Kirk never misses.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:18 PM

The crew has to do something besides wearing out the food replicator and playing 3-D Chess. What the hell is wrong with bowling? It's a fun game, a team sport, and a great icebreaker. I've had a better time with my friends bowling that at any stupid, contrived, so-called party i've been to. And had a lot more laughs doing it too. "Gutter Ball!".
Old 03-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Ensign

That's actually a nice Sixties reference to have a bowling alley aboard ship, sort of like guys walking around in Nehru jackets on their time off and listening to three century old clips of Donovan and The Mommas and The Poppas.

I bet you that JJ throws a few Sixties curves in there, which is why I think he's keeping the miniskirts on the female crew members. A lot of this movie is going to be a deliberate homage to that era. People don't realize that baby boomers will pick up on the inside jokes, even though the movie will be targeted at 15-30 year olds.

People forget that there were bowling alleys all over Postwar America. So of course, Roddenberry put one on the Enterprise. TOS was a reflection of America in the Postwar era.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Federation Councillor

LOL section9 LOL
Old 03-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by section9 View Post
People forget that there were bowling alleys all over Postwar America. So of course, Roddenberry put one on the Enterprise.
Actually, I think it was one of the writers who put in the bowling alley as a dialogue reference. Including it in the ship blueprints was a merchandise feature after the series ended.

And Berengarius, I don't think fans are disparaging bowling per se -- just many have a hard time picturing the sport's practicality onboard a ship which does get tossed around a lot. It's a game all about gravity, while simulated gravity and inertial dampening have proven to be rather inconsistent at times while the E is on duty.

Still, it would be a fun reference and callback to include.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Midshipman

Talking What the 'Bowling Alley' REALLY is...

*sigh* I am about to set myself up for a good number of death threats, comments on my intelligence and ancestry, and godonlyknows what else, but I dont care:

The bowling alley is actually a term from the Navy that more or less (so I was shown by a not so nice sailor, and FYI- I was IN the Navy once) is a long section of deck not partitioned off by bulkheads or knee knockers. The one I had pointed out to me also held the expansion plates for the ship's hull, these kept the ship from buckling in a high sea or snapping in 2. It was these same plates I had my boot stuck in at the time...Dont ask.

I am guessing that since Trek is based on the naval tradition in space, Someone found out about the term, and being someone either with a sense of humor, or just simply uninformed, drew in a 'bowling alley'- complete with pins and a trophy case full of 300's by Spock.

Not to say a bowling scene wouldnt be fun.. especially if the gravity gave out....

"Captain- The only way to get out and get to the bridge is to avoid the crew's balls as they float by."

"Gee Spock- ya got such a way of putting stuff."
Old 03-16-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylekat View Post
*sigh* I am about to set myself up for a good number of death threats, comments on my intelligence and ancestry, and godonlyknows what else, but I dont care:

The bowling alley is actually a term from the Navy that more or less (so I was shown by a not so nice sailor, and FYI- I was IN the Navy once) is a long section of deck not partitioned off by bulkheads or knee knockers. The one I had pointed out to me also held the expansion plates for the ship's hull, these kept the ship from buckling in a high sea or snapping in 2. It was these same plates I had my boot stuck in at the time...Dont ask.

I am guessing that since Trek is based on the naval tradition in space, Someone found out about the term, and being someone either with a sense of humor, or just simply uninformed, drew in a 'bowling alley'- complete with pins and a trophy case full of 300's by Spock.

Not to say a bowling scene wouldnt be fun.. especially if the gravity gave out....

"Captain- The only way to get out and get to the bridge is to avoid the crew's balls as they float by."

"Gee Spock- ya got such a way of putting stuff."
I was in the Navy for five years and i never heard of such a thing. The only alley we had was "shaft alley" where the shafts that drove the screws spun. It was behind the boiler room of the ship i was on. Our shafts were painted like colossal candy canes, with red and white stripes, i have no idea why, but it looked cool. The turbines made a chug-chug sound and you could feel them turning, everywhere in the ship if you cared to notice. We got so used to it, it was like second nature, It would help put you to sleep at night. In fact, i never quite slept as well in port as i did at sea. That feeling of those mighty engines churning was soothing. But whenever a sub was around, nobody slept from the damned pinging of sonar against the hull. That was the worst.
Anyway, I got asked to find a "bucket of steam" and other non-existant things when i was a boot, but i never got told about any bowling alley. I'm not saying i don't believe you. In my tour of sea duty, it just never came up.