The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > The music of Star Trek vs. the music of Star Wars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Lightbulb The music of Star Trek vs. the music of Star Wars

I know there's a big difference between the music of Star Wars and the music of Star Trek. To simply put it, for the Star Wars saga, George Lucas relied on only one man to express the six chapters musically: John Williams. But for Star Trek, they needed different composers to tell stories from their own point of view: Alexander Courage, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, and several others. So my question to you is: which composer do you prefer for the "Star Trek" franchise?
Old 09-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock84 View Post
I know there's a big difference between the music of Star Wars and the music of Star Trek. To simply put it, for the Star Wars saga, George Lucas relied on only one man to express the six chapters musically: John Williams. But for Star Trek, they needed different composers to tell stories from their own point of view: Alexander Courage, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, and several others. So my question to you is: which composer do you prefer for the "Star Trek" franchise?
John Williams
Old 09-14-2009, 02:45 AM
Lieutenant Commander

The music from Babylon 5

hehe! I'd have to say I prefer the various Trek composers to Mr Williams, although I like him, the music from Star Wars has a specific purpose to make you feel the way the director wants you to feel. Hear Darth's theme and you know troubles on the way, the heroic theme, the love theme etc.

That's NOT to say the Star Trek music doesn't do that. But I feel there are instances in Star Trek music where you can interpret for yourself what the intent and feeling is.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 01-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I thought the composers for the Star Trek shows and movies were great, even though there were more than one. I really dont care for Star Wars, its so boring, including the music. The music in Star Trek was exciting and always something new to the story.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I couldn't care less about "Star Wars", but John Williams is probably the most revered Film Composer of his generation.
...and to think one of his earliest gigs was doing the 3rd Season theme to "Lost in Space"...!!!!!!! He was and is awesome !!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk And Spock #1 Fan View Post
I thought the composers for the Star Trek shows and movies were great, even though there were more than one. I really dont care for Star Wars, its so boring, including the music. The music in Star Trek was exciting and always something new to the story.
Wow. You're the first person I know to actually say Star Wars is boring. First time for everything I guess. Star Wars is actually faster paced than Star Trek. But I guess from the perspective of today Star Wars could very much seem boring considering how many fast paced films have come since...

But about the music. I'm only going to compare original to original. So Alexander Courage's TOS to John William's Star Wars: A New Hope. Mainly I'm going to talk about the main themes. Star Wars hits you like a brick wall and gives you no time to stop with it's main theme....silence then BOOM! It hits you! This tells the audience that they're in for fast paced adventure and excitement! Saturday matinee surrealistic quality.

Star Trek builds up. It's ultimately about exploration. The awe of discovery and science. The Star Trek theme conveys that perfectly.

Two different styles of music. Two different styles of storytelling. One is not better than the other. Both themes can stick in your head. Both themes are instantly recognizable. No competition between them. Done and done.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:26 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG_Trekman View Post
Wow. You're the first person I know to actually say Star Wars is boring. First time for everything I guess. Star Wars is actually faster paced than Star Trek. But I guess from the perspective of today Star Wars could very much seem boring considering how many fast paced films have come since...

But about the music. I'm only going to compare original to original. So Alexander Courage's TOS to John William's Star Wars: A New Hope. Mainly I'm going to talk about the main themes. Star Wars hits you like a brick wall and gives you no time to stop with it's main theme....silence then BOOM! It hits you! This tells the audience that they're in for fast paced adventure and excitement! Saturday matinee surrealistic quality.

Star Trek builds up. It's ultimately about exploration. The awe of discovery and science. The Star Trek theme conveys that perfectly.

Two different styles of music. Two different styles of storytelling. One is not better than the other. Both themes can stick in your head. Both themes are instantly recognizable. No competition between them. Done and done.
This is pretty good - I think I'm just gonna jump on the back of this opinion!

courtesy of Saquist