The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How did the movie show Kirk and Spock become friends?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Commander

Also, Spock coming back on board at the end says a lot. He WANTED to be on that Bridge with Kirk and the rest of the crew. His older self simply gave him the nudge to do what he wanted.

As far as Spock can, he smiles along with Kirk in that scene, referring to the fact that he "can provide a character reference" (his older self).

They have yet to grow into the deeper friendship we eventually see, but they definately have camraderie (sp?).

When Spock calls him Jim, that is a personal barrier coming down. Spock knowing he'll simply ignore regulations, with a disapprove-but-not-really feeling, and Kirk's reaction and slap hints that the friendship is growing.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Vice Admiral

I think at the end when Kirk accepted him as his first officer

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 09-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Also, Spock coming back on board at the end says a lot. He WANTED to be on that Bridge with Kirk and the rest of the crew. His older self simply gave him the nudge to do what he wanted.

As far as Spock can, he smiles along with Kirk in that scene, referring to the fact that he "can provide a character reference" (his older self).

They have yet to grow into the deeper friendship we eventually see, but they definately have camraderie (sp?).

When Spock calls him Jim, that is a personal barrier coming down. Spock knowing he'll simply ignore regulations, with a disapprove-but-not-really feeling, and Kirk's reaction and slap hints that the friendship is growing.

All EXCELLENT points!!
Old 09-06-2009, 05:28 AM
Lieutenant

Its easy to see Kirk and Bones being friends, having joined the academy and spending all that time together there as classmates, (for some of them at least). They sit together on the shuttle on the way up, and Bones smuggles him onboard. Thats the kind of thing you would only do for a friend.
The conflict and tension between Kirk and Spock finally resolves itself, and we see their mutual respect for each other at the end of the movie, and we can suspect the friendship gets explored more in later movies.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:42 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestartrekker View Post
The conflict and tension between Kirk and Spock finally resolves itself, and we see their mutual respect for each other at the end of the movie, and we can suspect the friendship gets explored more in later movies.
Which is, ironically, kinda the situation Kirk and Spock were at the end of "Where No Man Has Gone Before." It was already shown earlier that they complement one another as CO and XO, but the seeds of an even deeper friendship were planted, IMO...
Old 09-06-2009, 05:46 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Which is, ironically, kinda the situation Kirk and Spock were at the end of "Where No Man Has Gone Before." It was already shown earlier that they complement one another as CO and XO, but the seeds of an even deeper friendship were planted, IMO...
A great observation.

No matter which way one wants to judge the dodgy science and certain contrivances in the speed of the plot, it still demonstrates that O&K actually did have half a clue about the characters and what made them work.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
A great observation.

No matter which way one wants to judge the dodgy science and certain contrivances in the speed of the plot, it still demonstrates that O&K actually did have half a clue about the characters and what made them work.
It also shows that they knew what was REALLY important when it came to the Original Series: The Characters. The crew of the Enterprise. The Katra, if you will.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Vice Admiral

yes it was that moment when Kirk said to Spock it would be my honour commander that cemented the relationship if you know what I mean.

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 10-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Spock Prime advised Kirk to start a defining friendship with young Spock.

Spock started to develop a respect for Kirk when he saw Kirk's "won't back down" determination to take on the Rommies, save Earth, and retrieve Pike. Kirk started respecting Spock when Spock had finally shown a little more flexibility than logic would've demanded, and his stricture to duty when Spock returned to the bridge to help them plan Kirk's attack.

Fascinated they got as far as they did, Spock shows even more respect for Kirk, and actually refers to him as "Jim" when he cites the odds for the success of their mission as they prepare to part ways....Kirk to find Pike, Spock to fly Spock Prime's ship. Spock is even more surprised by Kirk's blind confidence in him.

Seeing Kirk and Spock stand shoulder to shoulder as Nero continues to make hostile gestures despite his ship's impending fate. And when Kirk and Spock have a crossing of the minds, if you will. Kirk invokes logic to save Nero and his crew, and Spock shows that he prefers a little "illogic" in this case. Both seem to impress the other. When Nero finishes his posturing, Kirk and Spock casually walk back to their duty stations as Kirk orders Sulu to "fire everything they've got".

After they escape the shockwave, everyone's having a laugh of relief, and Kirk and Spock nod to each other in mutual acknowledgment that they both managed to pretty much pull off the impossible.

Spock Prime advised young Spock to start a defining friendship with Kirk, citing the things they could accomplish together as friends, as opposed to being adversaries. Why should Spock question his own logic, even if it came from his future self?

And when Spock reported to Captain Kirk for duty, and submitting his candidacy for "first officer", Kirk replies "It would be my honor, Commander."

You could see all this as the start of a great friendship that will define Kirk and Spock, and ultimately define Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.
As usual Martok, I'll just agree with you instead of repeating you and others with my own opinion.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:46 AM
Federation Councillor

Spock:"Of course Jim!! I'll be your BFF!!!"