The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How did the movie show Kirk and Spock become friends?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-05-2009, 10:01 AM
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
OneBuckFilms OneBuckFilms is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 909
Default

Also, Spock coming back on board at the end says a lot. He WANTED to be on that Bridge with Kirk and the rest of the crew. His older self simply gave him the nudge to do what he wanted.

As far as Spock can, he smiles along with Kirk in that scene, referring to the fact that he "can provide a character reference" (his older self).

They have yet to grow into the deeper friendship we eventually see, but they definately have camraderie (sp?).

When Spock calls him Jim, that is a personal barrier coming down. Spock knowing he'll simply ignore regulations, with a disapprove-but-not-really feeling, and Kirk's reaction and slap hints that the friendship is growing.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-05-2009, 11:39 AM
starwarsrcks's Avatar
starwarsrcks starwarsrcks is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,062
Default

I think at the end when Kirk accepted him as his first officer
__________________



Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Captain Shaw's Avatar
Captain Shaw Captain Shaw is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Also, Spock coming back on board at the end says a lot. He WANTED to be on that Bridge with Kirk and the rest of the crew. His older self simply gave him the nudge to do what he wanted.

As far as Spock can, he smiles along with Kirk in that scene, referring to the fact that he "can provide a character reference" (his older self).

They have yet to grow into the deeper friendship we eventually see, but they definately have camraderie (sp?).

When Spock calls him Jim, that is a personal barrier coming down. Spock knowing he'll simply ignore regulations, with a disapprove-but-not-really feeling, and Kirk's reaction and slap hints that the friendship is growing.

All EXCELLENT points!!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-06-2009, 05:28 AM
thestartrekker's Avatar
thestartrekker thestartrekker is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 293
Default

Its easy to see Kirk and Bones being friends, having joined the academy and spending all that time together there as classmates, (for some of them at least). They sit together on the shuttle on the way up, and Bones smuggles him onboard. Thats the kind of thing you would only do for a friend.
The conflict and tension between Kirk and Spock finally resolves itself, and we see their mutual respect for each other at the end of the movie, and we can suspect the friendship gets explored more in later movies.
__________________
You may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. This is not logical, but it is often true." Spock (Amok Time)

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-06-2009, 05:42 AM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestartrekker View Post
The conflict and tension between Kirk and Spock finally resolves itself, and we see their mutual respect for each other at the end of the movie, and we can suspect the friendship gets explored more in later movies.
Which is, ironically, kinda the situation Kirk and Spock were at the end of "Where No Man Has Gone Before." It was already shown earlier that they complement one another as CO and XO, but the seeds of an even deeper friendship were planted, IMO...
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-06-2009, 05:46 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Which is, ironically, kinda the situation Kirk and Spock were at the end of "Where No Man Has Gone Before." It was already shown earlier that they complement one another as CO and XO, but the seeds of an even deeper friendship were planted, IMO...
A great observation.

No matter which way one wants to judge the dodgy science and certain contrivances in the speed of the plot, it still demonstrates that O&K actually did have half a clue about the characters and what made them work.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-06-2009, 01:23 PM
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
OneBuckFilms OneBuckFilms is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
A great observation.

No matter which way one wants to judge the dodgy science and certain contrivances in the speed of the plot, it still demonstrates that O&K actually did have half a clue about the characters and what made them work.
It also shows that they knew what was REALLY important when it came to the Original Series: The Characters. The crew of the Enterprise. The Katra, if you will.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-15-2009, 01:48 PM
starwarsrcks's Avatar
starwarsrcks starwarsrcks is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,062
Default

yes it was that moment when Kirk said to Spock it would be my honour commander that cemented the relationship if you know what I mean.
__________________



Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-15-2009, 07:51 PM
TNG_Trekman's Avatar
TNG_Trekman TNG_Trekman is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
Posts: 439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Spock Prime advised Kirk to start a defining friendship with young Spock.

Spock started to develop a respect for Kirk when he saw Kirk's "won't back down" determination to take on the Rommies, save Earth, and retrieve Pike. Kirk started respecting Spock when Spock had finally shown a little more flexibility than logic would've demanded, and his stricture to duty when Spock returned to the bridge to help them plan Kirk's attack.

Fascinated they got as far as they did, Spock shows even more respect for Kirk, and actually refers to him as "Jim" when he cites the odds for the success of their mission as they prepare to part ways....Kirk to find Pike, Spock to fly Spock Prime's ship. Spock is even more surprised by Kirk's blind confidence in him.


Seeing Kirk and Spock stand shoulder to shoulder as Nero continues to make hostile gestures despite his ship's impending fate. And when Kirk and Spock have a crossing of the minds, if you will. Kirk invokes logic to save Nero and his crew, and Spock shows that he prefers a little "illogic" in this case. Both seem to impress the other. When Nero finishes his posturing, Kirk and Spock casually walk back to their duty stations as Kirk orders Sulu to "fire everything they've got".

After they escape the shockwave, everyone's having a laugh of relief, and Kirk and Spock nod to each other in mutual acknowledgment that they both managed to pretty much pull off the impossible.

Spock Prime advised young Spock to start a defining friendship with Kirk, citing the things they could accomplish together as friends, as opposed to being adversaries. Why should Spock question his own logic, even if it came from his future self?

And when Spock reported to Captain Kirk for duty, and submitting his candidacy for "first officer", Kirk replies "It would be my honor, Commander."

You could see all this as the start of a great friendship that will define Kirk and Spock, and ultimately define Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.
As usual Martok, I'll just agree with you instead of repeating you and others with my own opinion.
__________________
"WHERE'S THE KA-BOOM? THERE'S SUPPOSED TO BE AN EARTH SHATTERING KA-BOOM!!!" -- Marvin the Martian
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-16-2009, 04:46 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default


Spock:"Of course Jim!! I'll be your BFF!!!"
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.