The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Moments that really made you cringe or disliked
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
That's why it's taking a while for him to add a post.

Bugger;we could be waiting all week.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post
Waiting for Saint to appear in this thread.
I can only imagine his list....
Quote:
That's why it's taking a while for him to add a post.
I think his spellchecker broke and he's having to look up each word individually.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post

Bugger;we could be waiting all week.
On the plus side - something for the weekend!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Zim, how can you say that you don't hate the film, when it massacre it for the stupidest reasons? Now, getting away from Zim's absolute madness...
Though I don't agree with Zim I hate it when people call others mad, only because they don't like their opinions.

If you are not with me, then you are against me?
Only the Sith think in absolutes
Old 08-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Let's see - I didn't cringe at anything. There was lots of nods to the general silliness of TOS which was kinda appropriate as that was rather in tone. Although the mention of Admiral Archer was a rather out of place seeming nod to Enterprise. I'd have removed it.

It was a solid origin story and start - it needs to step up a gear for the sequel. But as a new foundation. It did the trick.
I agree with you on the Archer thing. Why was it there. He would have been what, 140 years old? And it was indeed an origin story. It showed the origins of alternate reality versions of the original crew that we have known for 40+ years. It is not, however, the origin story of the crew that we know. We still have no idea how "our" Kirk, Spock, and Bones met. That's one of the many things that bother me about this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
You and I both, I agree on everything you said too. The spock uhura thing was 2009 the year everything we loved as children goes to hell.
Thanks. I'm glad somebody does. It's good to know that I'm not alone in my "madness".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
TOS was neither broken nor intact - it no longer existed except in our memories. But for those who don't like, or are threatened by change:

According to the TNG episode, "Relics", DS9 episode, "Trials And Tribble-Ations", that Voyager episode with Sulu (I just can't remember the name), and the ENT episode, "In A Mirror, Darkly", TOS existed within the established fictional history of the established Star Trek universe. And it wasn't broken. It didn't need to be redone. There was no reason. TOS stands alone perfectly well on its own.

Quote:
I hope there's LOTS of Uhura/Spock in the sequel!!!!!!!!
Okay now you're just being cruel.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I agree with you on the Archer thing. Why was it there. He would have been what, 140 years old? And it was indeed an origin story. It showed the origins of alternate reality versions of the original crew that we have known for 40+ years. It is not, however, the origin story of the crew that we know. We still have no idea how "our" Kirk, Spock, and Bones met. That's one of the many things that bother me about this situation.
Well, look at the positive - you have all the freedom in the world to imagine it for yourself!

The possibilities are now endless!

Quote:
Okay now you're just being cruel.
A little Bit!!! Although I would maintain it has valid origins in early TOS itself.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Well, look at the positive - you have all the freedom in the world to imagine it for yourself!

The possibilities are now endless!
That's true. However I would love a (here it comes) canon explanation.

Quote:
A little Bit!!! Although I would maintain it has valid origins in early TOS itself.
I've heard that too. But I just don't see it. I'ved seen every single episode of TOS uncut and commercial free and I never saw a single instance that even implied or hinted that Spock and Uhura ever had a relationship other than being crewmates and friends. Unless you count the time she sang while he played the harp. But that's reaching.

Last edited by I-Am-Zim : 08-26-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I've heard that too. But I just don't see it. I'ved seen every single episode of TOS uncut and commercial free and I never saw a single instance that even looked like Spock and Uhura ever had a relationship other than being crewmates and friends. Unless you count the time she sang while he played the harp. But that's reaching.
Depends on how you read it of course, but - many a fan-fic has been inspired by that germ of an idea in a couple of their early exchanges (like when Uhura asks Spock why he never calls her a beautiful young lady etc) and if it's in aired material - well, aren't a lot of things in Star Trek as a whole spun out of little 'moments' from the past?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Vice Admiral

Fan fic doesn't count. It's not on-screen, thus not canon. I still never saw anything on screen that implied that Spock and Uhura had a previous relationship. I suppose it does depend upon how one interprets certain lines of dialogue. But I just don't see it.

And I know I've said this before and everybody's probably sick of hearing it, but the only reason the Spock/Uhura thing was even in the movie was to once again let us old TOS-era Trekkies know without a shadow of a doubt that this new movie ain't "our" Star Trek anymore.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Vice Admiral

you want it to be perfect don't you it is supposed to be enjoyed for what it is don't take things that you found ticked you off so seriously

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy