The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Moments that really made you cringe or disliked
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 07:21 AM
Vice Admiral

Default Moments that really made you cringe or disliked

Moments that really made you cringe or didn't like

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Vice Admiral

Hmmm... The only one I can think of was in the bar, when Kirk said his name to Uhura. I didn't quite buy the "drunk" in his voice. But that's pretty small beans!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Vice Admiral

Wow. Where do I begin?

1. Every scene with Spock & Uhura making out just didn't sit well with me.

2. The introduction of the Abramsprise. I think the ship is ugly and looks nothing like the original Enterprise.

3. Keesner. 'Nuf said.

4. Engineering.

5. The iBridge.

6. Abramsprise being built on the ground. Just made me say "WTF?????"

7. Cheesy communicator sound effect. There was nothing wrong with the original. Why fix it if it ain't broke??

8. James Kirk hitting on Uhura in a bar. Once again, "WTF??"

9. Lack of escape pods on the Kelvin. Where were they? Did the ship even have escape pods? 800+ crew and no escape pods? Just doesn't sound right. Shuttles have never been used as escape pods before. Why now??

That's all I can think of on short notice. I'd have to watch it again to find some more. I'm sure there are plenty. But those are the ones that stuck out in my memory.

Well, you asked.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Wow. Where do I begin?

1. Every scene with Spock & Uhura making out just didn't sit well with me.

2. The introduction of the Abramsprise. I think the ship is ugly and looks nothing like the original Enterprise.

3. Keesner. 'Nuf said.

4. Engineering.

5. The iBridge.

6. Abramsprise being built on the ground. Just made me say "WTF?????"

7. Cheesy communicator sound effect. There was nothing wrong with the original. Why fix it if it ain't broke??

8. James Kirk hitting on Uhura in a bar. Once again, "WTF??"

9. Lack of escape pods on the Kelvin. Where were they? Did the ship even have escape pods? 800+ crew and no escape pods? Just doesn't sound right. Shuttles have never been used as escape pods before. Why now??

That's all I can think of on short notice. I'd have to watch it again to find some more. I'm sure there are plenty. But those are the ones that stuck out in my memory.

Well, you asked.

1. Why?

2. I see a saucer section, two warp nacelles held up by struts, and a secondary cigar shaped hull; looks like the Enterprise to me.

3. Wait, what?

4. Kind of agree, kind of don't.

5. It's an Ibridge because it's white? That's the only reason I could see it being called that.

6. Again, why not?

7. How was it cheesey? That just sounds kind of anal to me....

8. Again, why not?

9. Are you well versed in that century's ship design? How do you know?

Really, it just sounds more like anal retentive well, whining.
Sorry. *shrugs*
Old 08-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

Those very WTF?!-moments were what made it excellent.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 08-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post
1. Why?
Personal preference. I didn't like it. It never happened in TOS. In a military/quasi-military setting aboard a starship it would be an extreme conflict of interest and could compromise the safety of the vessel and crew.

Quote:
2. I see a saucer section, two warp nacelles held up by struts, and a secondary cigar shaped hull; looks like the Enterprise to me.
That description is very generic and vague. It could apply to every starship that has been callled Enterprise (except NX-01). It could also apply to many different starship classes, Constitution, Excelsior, Ambassador, Galaxy, etc. I stated that it didn't look like the original Enterprise. Which it doesn't. It looks like a starship, but not the original Enterprise.

Quote:
3. Wait, what?
Scotty's sidekick? Had no reason to be there. Waste of time and space.

Quote:
4. Kind of agree, kind of don't.
The brewery is a love it or hate it design. I personally hate it.

Quote:
5. It's an Ibridge because it's white? That's the only reason I could see it being called that.
Have you been on this forum long?? It's an iBridge because that's what people have been calling it ever since the first pictures came out. Abrams actually called it that himself. That's where the term originated. It also looks like a cross between an Apple store and the jewelry department at Belk.

Quote:
6. Again, why not?
Because it's rediculous. And because no other starship in the 40+ years of Star Trek history has ever been depicted as being built on the ground. Nor has there ever been any mention of any kind of any starship in the 40+ years of Star Trek history of a ship being built on the ground. That was change simply for change's sake. Nothing more.

Quote:
7. How was it cheesey? That just sounds kind of anal to me....
Maybe. But I prefer the more solid, substantial sound of the original to the high pitched weak sound of the abramsverse version. Again, personal preference.

Quote:
8. Again, why not?
Didn't like it. Personal preference.

Quote:
9. Are you well versed in that century's ship design? How do you know?
The NX-01 had escape pods a century before. Why wouldn't the Kelvin. And yes, I am well versed in the designs of starships within the Star Trek universe. I know because Capt. Robau made absolutely no mention of escape pods. Nor did George Kirk. Nor were any escape pods seen on screen.

Quote:
Really, it just sounds more like anal retentive well, whining.
Sorry. *shrugs*
Again, maybe. But I'm answering the question that was posted as the subject of this thread. If there was nothing that you didn't like about the movie, go to the "This Movie Was Absolute Perfection And Had No Flaws" thread. You won't see me there.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Vice Admiral

You are being really hard on this brilliant film everything about it was amazing maybe not to you

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 08-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
You are being really hard on this brilliant film everything about it was amazing maybe not to you
Nope. Not to me. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the movie. I did. I just expected more.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Vice Admiral

Why was it absolute rubbish and shouldn't have been made is that what you are saying

Old 08-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
Why was it absolute rubbish and shouldn't have been made is that what you are saying
It wasn't absolute rubbish. Only sotra rubbish. It was a fun 2 hrs of sci-fi stuff blowing up, neato high-tech gadgets, and whiz-bang special effects. The term "brilliant" never came to my mind while watching it, though. It was mediocre at best.

If I had never watched any TOS in my life, I probably would have thoought this was a fantastic movie. But considering the fact that I have been a dedicated, loyal fan of TOS for over 25 years, trying to reconcile the differences between the events in this movie and what I know to be the history of the original Star Trek was an excercise in futility. This nuTrek has nothing in common with "my" Star Trek other than the names. That's my biggest problem with it.

Edit: Dangit! Before it starts: I KNOW IT'S AN ALTERNATE REALITY! AND THAT TOS IS STILL THERE UNCHANGED AND TRUCKING ALONG NICELY! The problem is that the casual moviegoer doesn't know that and won't know unless a Trekkie tells them so.

Can I ask you something? Just out of curiousity. Why did you start this thread? If you think this was a "brilliant" and flawless movie, what's the purpose of asking people what they didn't like about it? Just to stir up folks like me? Just asking.

Last edited by I-Am-Zim : 08-26-2009 at 09:11 AM.