The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Favorite Pilot Episode?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
'Where No Man Has Gone Before' is the one I like most. Especially the parts where Spock yells ("radiation negative!").

'Emissary' and 'The Cage' both get honorable mentions. When it comes right down to it, most of the ST pilots are really awful.
Of the ones I've seen, Encounter at Farpoint is clearly the worst. It centers so much around Troi and she couldn't act at all in those days. Whenever she does anything in that episode, I cringe...just a little.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Of the ones I've seen, Encounter at Farpoint is clearly the worst. It centers so much around Troi and she couldn't act at all in those days. Whenever she does anything in that episode, I cringe...just a little.
Yeah too much Troi and Wesley in Encounter at Farpoint, a nice start but for me was the weakest pilot.

1. Emissary - sets up a lot, good action, good father-son sub plot.
2. Caretaker - exciting start, good pace, good story (shame it wasn't maintained)
3. Broken Bow - Nice new take on several trek themes whilst still faithful to what came before, rich visuals and action (I agree in that the temporal cold war was a mi****)
4. WNMHGB - See a good Kirk/Spock dynamic from the go, Mitchell did and still to this day gives me the shivers when he turns his head to face the camera in sickbay when Kirk is watching him. Got a real sense of being isolated in deep space.
5. Encounter at Farpoint - Could see all the things in there that would become so great in the later years, but could also see all the naff bits that would take a few seasons to weed out. Loved Q, wasn't a fan of the jellyfish storyline.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb
'Where No Man Has Gone Before' is the one I like most. Especially the parts where Spock yells ("radiation negative!").

'Emissary' and 'The Cage' both get honorable mentions. When it comes right down to it, most of the ST pilots are really awful.
That's because most Star Trek pilots are predictable "origin stories"--dedicated mostly to introducing the crew one by one and showing how they wound up together. Even Star Trek XI was inevitably just another origin story, but it had other things going for it too...
Old 08-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

For those that were around then, what was the initial reaction to Encounter at Farpoint? I'm curious if it came off as badly then as it does now.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Well, I first saw it only a year or so after it aired in the US (it started getting released on VHS rental either that year or 1988) and actually I did like.

I loved the D from the start and also the set design. It seemed so plush and comfortable and futuristic. The Holodeck was a cool idea and Q worked as well. Again, a lot of the ideas and questions Q raised were pertinent. The special effects were amazing as well.

The mid-section stumbled a bit but I actually kinda liked the moment when the two creatures reunited.

It was one of the few times such TOS style large mysterious organisms were seen in the TNG era. It was definitely a TOS style story in that sense.

For a long time I really liked it, it's just that in retrospect some of the sheen has faded a bit.

And I still do love how much of it was tied into 'All Good Things'. The TNG story has a nice kind of circular 'back to the start' feel.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

'Let's be damned for what we really are.'
Some very powerful lines in Encounter!

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 08-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
For those that were around then, what was the initial reaction to Encounter at Farpoint? I'm curious if it came off as badly then as it does now.
From my memories, any gripes about "Encounter At Farpoint" where directed more at the characters and the new setting than the story ("He's no Captain Kirk," "He's no Mister Spock," "That damn ship looks like an ash tray," "Guys in skirts?" "Why is there a Klingon on the Enterprise bridge?" "What the hell kind of name is 'Crusher' for a doctor?").

Most people, though, were simply glad that Star Trek was back on TV and thought that "Encounter At Farpint" was a promising start--but it would still be awhile before folks would really warm up to both the 24th-Century and Picard's crew...
Old 08-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

Farpoint also set up TNG's final frontier atmosphere present throughout mainly the first two seasons.
I think that some of the staleness of post-TNG Trek was caused by a crowded and safe universe. VOY rarely created a sense of danger, loneliness and exploration of the unknown and ENT launched with familiar faces, Klingons.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Farpoint also set up TNG's final frontier atmosphere present throughout mainly the first two seasons.
It was a shame that element got lost.

Quote:
I think that some of the staleness of post-TNG Trek was caused by a crowded and safe universe.
Yeah, space just didn't seem as 'big' as it used to. Having a Starfleet presence in all the quadrants of the Galaxy and then, for example, making it so that Voyager ended up having a nice little monthly chat with Starfleet where they could send the EMH program 30,000 light years back and forth just like that (with the Doc Zimmerman eps) shrunk the whole Trekverse.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Captain

I don't know, but I feel that when I watch Voy, I DO feel that I'm out there, lost in deep space. I get some great escape from the everyday grind, I love Voy from Caretaker to Endgame and every episode except one, (the Flotter epi), I am enjoying my second marathon after just finishing one last week! DS9 makes me feel that I am living there in deep space too! I guess thats what it was designed to do! I also feel a bit chlosterphobic when an epi of ENT comes on, it's supposed to be much smaller than Kirks ship, it works!!!! Of course with TOS, I went on the 5 yr mission everytime it came on, then with the updated TNG, I was one of the "critics" from the TOS world that gave it a hard time, at first, but NEVER missed an episode!