The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Favorite Pilot Episode?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 05:27 AM
Captain

Default Favorite Pilot Episode?

Ok, I have a question about the 5 different Star Trek series. Of all of them, which is your favorite? Plus how would they rank with you? My very favorite is Caretaker from Voyager, followed with:

2. Emmisary
3. Broken Bow
4. Where no Man Has Gone Before
5. Encounter at Farpoint

I guess they have to rank somewhere, each one has it's own special part, but, to me, Caretaker is so watchable. You really get the feel that you are with the crew 75 years from home! So, which is yours?
Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Rear Admiral

For me, it's "Where No Man Has Gone Before." I loved how fresh and new everything was--including the Kirk, Mitchell, and Spock dynamic--and how the story revolved around absolute power corrupting absolutely.

"Morals are for men, not gods..." Man, I absolutely love that line!

I also preferred the much more muted-colored uniforms in this pilot (and the original "The Cage" pilot) over the more color-TV friendly uniforms seen throughout the rest of the series...

The rest of the field:
2. "Caretaker"
3. "Emissary"
4. "Encounter At Farpoint"
5. "Broken Bow"
Old 08-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Lemme see -

1 - 'Emissary'
2 - 'Encounter at Farpoint'
3 - 'Where No Man Has Gone Before'
4 - 'Caretaker'
5 - 'Broken Bow'

I prefer the DS9 pilot partially because it showed parts of Wolf 359 (finally!) but also because it set out a different stall. It started out with a lot going on and it was interesting to know we were going to be staying put for a while.

The TNG pilot was solid but a little indulgent at times and rather slow in getting anywhere (a rather common Roddenberry deficiency in his writing. The Cage and TMP have the same issues. He could have ideas, but he couldn't pace a show for love nor money).

I like the TOS pilot 2 as a solid little borderline psycho-thriller episode but it doesn't really set out the Star Trek stall the way The Cage did.

'Caretaker' was actually rather good. The Kazon still never really worked but the initial concept was nice.

'Broken Bow' - had some nice moments about human misunderstanding (the kid in the spaceport etc) in viewing other cultures but seemed lacking. And the Temporal Cold War never worked.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Commander

1. Emissary
2. Broken Bow
3. Where No Man Has Gone Before
4. The Cage
5. Encounter at Farpoint

I think "Emissary" was my favorite. For me it was the most intriguing, and highly anticipated. "Broken Bow", was also highly anticipated by me. But in terms of quality, i think Roddenberry's pilots for the original Star Trek were way ahead of thier time. 'Encounter at Farpoint," makes the list for me as well because it introduces me to the Star Trek world. 'Caretaker", was the only real disappointment. The Kayzon were not compelling villans, desert nomads that operate space ships? The Caretaker/Banjoman was irrational, and mean-spirited, his death didn't earn my sympathy. Janeway's decision to destroy the array didn't make sense. The highpoints for me were the crew's abduction, the hologram doctor, the mystery surrounding the array, and Janeway's gutsy approach to command.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

The ORIGINAL TOS pilot. "The Cage." (I still have my half color/half black and white VHS copy!) It was the episode that really gave the Trek universe a proper shakedown as it were. Besides, I LOVED Number One. I'm just so sorry she didn't make it past the test audiances. As usual, the networks find ways to water down any progressive idea presented on television.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

I can only rank the ones I've seen:

1. The Cage
2. Broken Bow
3. Encounter at Farpoint
Old 08-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Captain

I don't consider The Cage a pilot since it never aired. We didn't see a series from it. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but to me, it was just an extra treat for a pilot that didn't make it. Can you imagine what history would of been if it HAD of been a series?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I don't consider The Cage a pilot since it never aired. We didn't see a series from it. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but to me, it was just an extra treat for a pilot that didn't make it. Can you imagine what history would of been if it HAD of been a series?
I would have liked it, but I'm a Pike fan and I'll take all the Pike I can get!

I will make an addendum to my list (i forgot WNMHGB):

1. The Cage
2. Where No Man Has Gone Before
3. Broken Bow
4. Encounter at Farpoint
Old 08-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Commander

'Where No Man Has Gone Before' is the one I like most. Especially the parts where Spock yells ("radiation negative!").

'Emissary' and 'The Cage' both get honorable mentions. When it comes right down to it, most of the ST pilots are really awful.