The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > The Sound of Her Voice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 12:54 AM
Lieutenant

A fantastic ep indeed, i watched 2 times.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Lieutenant Commander

A great episode for many reasons.

One is that it makes me cry.

And another is that it tells a very epic story in 45 minutes, and reminds us how infinite the world of Star Trek is. How many stories can be told and what adventures might people be having.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 09-04-2009, 04:47 AM
Vice Admiral

I really liked this episode. Of course I was hoping they would have rescued her. I was bummed out when she was found to have been dead for quite awhile before the ever received her distress call. Even though it was not the happy ending I wanted, it was sort of cool that they were talking to someone that was already dead, sort of like a ghost because of the time shift effect. I would have REALLY hated the ending if she had just barely died before they got there. The time shift idea was the best way to end the episode without it being a happy rescue ending.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 09-07-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:17 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I just re-watched it yesterday, I'd forgotten there is a whole b-story with Odo, Quark & Jake in it which was fun.

Plus, there is a good O'Brien thread and lots of character revelations that sort of get restated and expanded.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 09-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Federation Councillor

I always liked that little sad foreshadowing when O'Brien gives his speech at the end, and as he talks about never knowing when one of the circle may not be there - the camera turns to Jadzia.

Who obviously died in the very next episode.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Lieutenant

I really liked this episode but the time shift i didnt like,had a feeling that because they were talking to captain cusak in the past that they would get there and find her dead,i like the speeech miles make at her irish wake which is the war changed us-pulled us apart...i want my friends in my life,because someday "we're going to wake up and find that someone is missing from this circle.On that day we're going to mourn,and we shouldnt have to mourn alone,then the camera focus on jadzia.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Commander

Yeah that superimposition to Jadzia was quite interesting.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Commander

Very fine episode in all respects - sci-fi, emotional content, introspection as others have already discussed.

The only thing that bugged me - just slightly, mind you - is that no-one ever mentioned a specific date, thus unraveling the time travel thread much earlier on. Doubly strange, since Sisko apparently recounted events with the Borg and Dominion but never once gave away the inadvertent 'secret' about how much time had truly passed...

Old 10-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Commander

Perhaps that was based on the assumption (to some degree shared by the audience) that the date was the same for both parties, and there was no need for either person to say "what day is it?" because they already knew.

It's like if you were talking to someone on a different planet and did not know it, you would not ask "what colour is the sky?" because you assume that it is the same for that person as it is for you.

What are the chances of them / you having been wrong in that assumption?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Commander

I just figured it would've come up when Sisko was telling her what had been going on in recent years. He talked about all kinds of major events, but apparently never once gave a stardate or some other concrete indication of how much time had passed. If he'd said, just once, "my ship was launched in 237X" or "the most recent attack was on stardate XXXXX" the jig would've probably been up.

:edit: Or if he'd simply asked "how long have you been down there?" or "when were you stranded?" in which case they'd both have put two and two together pretty quickly...

Last edited by Big D : 10-08-2009 at 09:49 PM.