The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > The Sound of Her Voice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Federation Councillor

Default The Sound of Her Voice

It's one of my favourite episodes of DS9 and maybe period because of the reflective nature of it. It was a nice pause for thought amongst all the hevay going developments of Season 6.

But the only thing I never liked about it so much was the seemingly pointless twist about the 'communicating through time' aspect.

If they had just gotten there too late to save the ship I think it would have added a more emotional impact at the end.

Just wondered what any other fans of that episode thought about the ending.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

I also like this episode but I think that the time shift thingy was fine. Otherwise the end of the episode would have included some regret, something * la "if we had hurried up, we could have saved her".
Furthermore, having talked to someone who has already dead, but also still alive, added a nice portion of weirdness. We might be able to rationaly deal with something like this time shift, but beneath that thin layer of rationalty we can't handle anything but the "normal" time that flows calmly and constantly like a river.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Lieutenant Commander

At first I was put off by the "time shift thingy" cause there got to be a lot of time stuff as Trek progressed but after awhile I also appreciated the weirdness of the episode. Almost Twilight Zone/Outer Limits fare, kinda took me back to some of the weirdness of TOS.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

That was a good episode, haven't seen that one in a long time.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:31 AM
Federation Councillor

Fair points - I just don't think it needed any weirdness to make it's point. It all came from the characters delivering their thoughts.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Fair points - I just don't think it needed any weirdness to make it's point. It all came from the characters delivering their thoughts.

Maybe not but I like a little weirdness in my scifi cause it usually means some writer is thinking outside of the box, leaving the humdrum behind.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Federation Councillor

But that episode wasn't some mind-bender or reality shifter, it was about reflection and getting inside our characters.

I don't mind weirdness - it just seems out of place for the nature of that show. Like a gimmick for no reason.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think that without the time-shift, they all would have uttered regret about not having been a bit more faster in the end of the episode when they stand around the torpedo casket.
The end without any regret is better IMO, it kinda makes her a little bit like a ghost to them as in a certain way, they have talked to a dead person. That adds a touch of weirdness, of uniqueness which might have been lost in a "simply too late for the rescue" scenario.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Commander

Agreed with Horatio. The time shift thing was an interesting twist I think and kind of hearkening back to such other interesting sci-fi twists in earlier episodes like "Whispers". This is Space Opera, after all. *side note: Space Opera isn't Soap Opera*

The point of the episode was kind of to have this outsider interacting with the crew, and in a way it was more a story about their need to establish some better morale than the rush to rescue this woman. Even the rescue itself was kind of an attempt to be "heroes" in the midst of quite a horrible war where none of them were able to avoid compromising some principles or ideals.

*look at "In the Pale Moonlight" etc -- which doesn't happen too long before this episode either.*

At the end of the day it wasn't as much Captain Cusack's story as it was the story of the Defiant and her crew, *the family and friends she'd have had in life were noticeably absent from her wake* and I think it's kind of poignant in a way that they never stood a chance of rescuing her.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukalakana View Post
Agreed with Horatio. The time shift thing was an interesting twist I think and kind of hearkening back to such other interesting sci-fi twists in earlier episodes like "Whispers". This is Space Opera, after all. *side note: Space Opera isn't Soap Opera*

The point of the episode was kind of to have this outsider interacting with the crew, and in a way it was more a story about their need to establish some better morale than the rush to rescue this woman. Even the rescue itself was kind of an attempt to be "heroes" in the midst of quite a horrible war where none of them were able to avoid compromising some principles or ideals.

*look at "In the Pale Moonlight" etc -- which doesn't happen too long before this episode either.*

At the end of the day it wasn't as much Captain Cusack's story as it was the story of the Defiant and her crew, *the family and friends she'd have had in life were noticeably absent from her wake* and I think it's kind of poignant in a way that they never stood a chance of rescuing her.
Of course, that's why I love the episode so much, but all I'm saying is, that I don't think any of that poignancy would have been lost if it had been as simple as being just out of (normal) time.

But fair enough - it seems like it's something that maybe only I found a little unrequired.

courtesy of Saquist