The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > Why Was This Cancelled!?!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
There was nothing before TOS, so it cannot be a re-imagination.
Not that I care whether ENT messed with canon or not, but if you take a look at the supposed continuity-violations, they all turn out to be non-existant:

Q: The NCC-1701 was said to be the first ship named Enterprise!
A: Sure, the first Federation ship named Enterprise.

Q: The ship looks like the Akira-class upside-down and I will call it Akiraprise because I hate it!
A: All human/Federation starships look similar and obviously the Akira-class was a hommage to the NX-class. Preferences have nothing to do with continuity, so call it as you like to.

etc. etc. The only real continuity glitch is Romulans having cloaking technology in "Minefield", something which was noticed before the fourth seasons Romulan story arc.

There's more than that Horatio, but fan reactions to ENT on continutity issues have tended to focus on first contact with alien species like the Klingons, Borg and Ferengi. I don't recognize any of these as canon violations per say. As for the prehistory of TOS this was already being worked on by novelists like Diane Carey, and Michael Jan Friedman. ENT didn't consult any of their preestablished work. The NCC-1701 was not only supposed to be the first starship named Enterprise, it was supposed to be the first starship! And the first starship capable of warp drive! ENT departs from this, but in a good way. It makes more sense to me that the NCC-17701 would have had to have had several predecessors. ENT split the difference down the middle and gave their Enterprise a warp 5 engine.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
There's more than that Horatio, but fan reactions to ENT on continutity issues have tended to focus on first contact with alien species like the Klingons, Borg and Ferengi. I don't recognize any of these as canon violations per say. As for the prehistory of TOS this was already being worked on by novelists like Diane Carey, and Michael Jan Friedman. ENT didn't consult any of their preestablished work.
Were these books written as 'official' stories, whatever that means, that added to existing material? Never read them myself. In the end I would think the various top-level producers of the show would have the only say in the matter.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
The NCC-1701 was not only supposed to be the first starship named Enterprise, it was supposed to be the first starship! And the first starship capable of warp drive!
Where did you get this idea from?
Old 07-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
There's more than that Horatio, but fan reactions to ENT on continutity issues have tended to focus on first contact with alien species like the Klingons, Borg and Ferengi. I don't recognize any of these as canon violations per say. As for the prehistory of TOS this was already being worked on by novelists like Diane Carey, and Michael Jan Friedman. ENT didn't consult any of their preestablished work. The NCC-1701 was not only supposed to be the first starship named Enterprise, it was supposed to be the first starship! And the first starship capable of warp drive! ENT departs from this, but in a good way. It makes more sense to me that the NCC-17701 would have had to have had several predecessors. ENT split the difference down the middle and gave their Enterprise a warp 5 engine.
Actually the Bonaventura (which looks pretty ugly by the way) was supposed to be the first warp-capable starship (and it was not clear whether, I think Scotty, meant first Federation or first Earth Starfleet warpship, but if it meant the later that already overwritten by FC), according to TAS which can be considered half-canon and what novelists write is even less official than TAS.
It was never mentioned when mankind first met Klingons, the name of the Borg and Ferengi were not revealed to Archer's crew. So again, no continuity violation.

I have no problem when people say that they don't like ENT or that they imagined the timeframe to be different. But accusations of continuity violations are simply wrong and a pretty bad from of bashing.
If one does not like something, one does not have to come up with obscure arguments and attempts to objectify one's opinion.

Last edited by horatio : 07-26-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Where did you get this idea from?
Diane Carey's novel Final Frontier, it is also mentioned in TAS episode, "The Counter-Clock Incident".
Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I have no problem when people say that they don't like ENT or that they imagined the timeframe to be different. But accusations of continuity violations are simply wrong and a pretty bad from of bashing.
If one does not like something, one does not have to come up with obscure arguments and attempts to objectify one's opinion.
That's not me. I liked ENT, i thought it was a great show. But i also thought that alot of its potential was not fully exploited screen time was wasted on things like the Xindi story arc, season four showed some recovery but not enough IMO. I would liked to have seen where the writers were going to take the show. I think the fifth season would have shown us the origins of the Romulan-Earth War, sixth season, the war itself and Archer's crew's role in it. That would have been exciting. At least we have some novels coming out soon which will explore this further.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
That's not me. I liked ENT, i thought it was a great show. But i also thought that alot of its potential was not fully exploited screen time was wasted on things like the Xindi story arc, season four showed some recovery but not enough IMO. I would liked to have seen where the writers were going to take the show. I think the fifth season would have shown us the origins of the Romulan-Earth War, sixth season, the war itself and Archer's crew's role in it. That would have been exciting. At least we have some novels coming out soon which will explore this further.
Are you kidding????????????? The Xindi Story arc was one of the most exciting mini-series I have EVER seen on television - and, sad to say, I've been around to see most of it! ENT should have been allowed to run its 7 years like most of the others did. I am still fuming that it wasn't allowed to continue with the Earth-Romulan War. We were finally getting all those back-stories that we heard about in TOS and TNG, etc., and they pulled the rug out from us. Now, all we get is bilge like "Survivor" and "American Idol" to look forward to every week. Opiate for the Masses. But that's what television has devolved into of late. Thank Goodness we have the books. But its a sad consolation.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian View Post
Are you kidding????????????? The Xindi Story arc was one of the most exciting mini-series I have EVER seen on television - and, sad to say, I've been around to see most of it! ENT should have been allowed to run its 7 years like most of the others did. I am still fuming that it wasn't allowed to continue with the Earth-Romulan War. We were finally getting all those back-stories that we heard about in TOS and TNG, etc., and they pulled the rug out from us. Now, all we get is bilge like "Survivor" and "American Idol" to look forward to every week. Opiate for the Masses. But that's what television has devolved into of late. Thank Goodness we have the books. But its a sad consolation.
Agreed! ENT had some great stories! Sadly it's final episode sucked....after such a great season 4! This show has gotten a real bad rap.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Agreed! ENT had some great stories! Sadly it's final episode sucked....after such a great season 4! This show has gotten a real bad rap.

You are SO right! That last show was a slap in the face. I would love to see this show return. Nothing is impossible in the world of Star Trek - we all know that well enough!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:14 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian View Post
You are SO right! That last show was a slap in the face. I would love to see this show return. Nothing is impossible in the world of Star Trek - we all know that well enough!
I guess I would have been more ok with it if the Frakes And Marina were NOT trying to pretend it was 13 years earlier on TNG. Why not have them on the Titan? Or the Ent-E? Riker could have been struggling over accepting command of the Titan. Also the ENT sequences could have been more linear. Or at least, have maybe and old Archer sitting down and talking to reporters about what happened after the NX program came to an end, with flashbacks.