The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > Why Was This Cancelled!?!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian View Post
Sorry for the delay in responding, Chator. There was a letter-writing campaign to CBS when it was announced. However, the network ignored it all. They wanted Ent off - imho- because it cost too much to produce on a sindicated network - period. ALWAYS FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!
I'm not sure i buy that arguement, since it's gotten cheap to do good sci-fi visuals overtime and i never heard anything about ENTERPRISE having their budgets cut. That would have been the initial step, if the reason was economic. I think they just wanted to dump Berman, artifically kill the franchise in order to bring it back under someone else.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

No - I respectfully disagree Chator. I never said anything about "budgets being cut". Remember all this took place about 5 years ago and we aren't talking about a network - upn was a sindicated channel. They WERE at the time mostly around for re-runs and talk shows. Things have since changed but not then. CBS wanted ENT out of the picture because it was too costly. If you can research it, check the station's lineup circa 2004 and see what upn was running at the time. IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian View Post
Sorry for the delay in responding, Chator. There was a letter-writing campaign to CBS when it was announced. However, the network ignored it all. They wanted Ent off - imho- because it cost too much to produce on a sindicated network - period. ALWAYS FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!
No its not. Its always about the ratings. Money is a subclass of it. Say a show costs two million a pop. But if its ratings bring in alot of advertisers then it doesnt matter how much it costs.

High ratings allow for high budgets and life is good. But high budgets do not bring in high ratings and things arent so good.. In its a first year, give a show a shot with a decent budget. If it doesnt perform well enough then thats it. Maybe one more year. Perhaps they should have held off on Ent for a few years to let Trek cool down for awhile. But we will never know.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:37 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I really doubt this was a consideration when it came to CBS buying UPN. For that matter, NBC sure got it wrong with Star Trek : TOS back in the sixties, didn't they!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Federation Councillor

I think ENT will be looked back upon fondly. It got a bad rap when it was on.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Vice Admiral

They lost me as soon as that song started - I thought it was an ad, then I thought it was a joke, then I was just very very very skeeeeved out.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
They lost me as soon as that song started - I thought it was an ad, then I thought it was a joke, then I was just very very very skeeeeved out.
I hated the song when the show first aired, but i like it now and it goes along very well with the theme of the show.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:33 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I hated the song when the show first aired, but i like it now and it goes along very well with the theme of the show.
It fits because it's still "humans flying by the seat of their pants" and not the safe ST universe we came to know later.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Vice Admiral

I initially hated the song. I realized I hated the song simply because it was an actual song with lyrics and NOT the orchestra music we have always had in Trek. Then I decided to actually listen to the song and I found "Faith of the Heart" to be pretty darn good song that fit very well with ENT. I like the progression shown on screen from little canoes all the way up to warp flight.

My only complaint about the ENT opening is the scene from the back of some ship right before we see the NX-01. It must be an earlier warp ship but we only see the back of what looks like rocket thrusters and nacelles.

Edit: what is the ENT theme song's name? I thought it was "faith of the heart"