The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > Why Was This Cancelled!?!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 04:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Your interpretation is not FACT...it is your opinion. Unless you can actually ask Spock himself what he meant, then all you are doing is speculating.
I'am content to leave the speculation in your capable hands, Damage.
Spock's statements are in the negative. No advanced technology.
Shields, antimatter warheads, and visual communication when there was non are all comprable to latter half 23rd century tech and therefore a contradiction. Those are facts.

Quote:
No, we just showed that there is not only a little room, but a lot of room. It's all in how you read into it.
Feel free to interpret, "read into" and focus on the lack of qualifiers as you see fit. Speculations isn't my specialty. I shall stick with the facts.

Last edited by Saquist : 04-16-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:14 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I concur. Even after Defiant arrived most of the action had to come to the station and show needed a desprate change of scenery to the dreary brown drabbness that cardassians seemed to embrace. I urged them to replace the station with a fullfledge Space Dock.
I found something special watching the characters having to live with whatever they did for 7 seasons, as opposed to screwing up a civilisation's culture then hitting warp 9 to escape the problems they caused.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:20 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirconium View Post
I found something special watching the characters having to live with whatever they did for 7 seasons, as opposed to screwing up a civilisation's culture then hitting warp 9 to escape the problems they caused.
Thank you, very well put!
Old 04-16-2008, 07:18 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Feel free to interpret, "read into" and focus on the lack of qualifiers as you see fit. Speculations isn't my specialty. I shall stick with the facts.
You stick with "facts" when they suit your purpose.

You are speculating. Nothing wrong with that, we all do it. You can't call it "fact", unless you have met Spock, interviewed him, and he told you what he meant. Then you can say it's fact.

Until then, you are following the definition of "speculating". Your "interpretation" is fine, and no one will say you're wrong. But yours is no more right or wrong then mine.

Please remember that this is a fictional show, and the stories were told to show us our lives from a different perspective. Interpretations will vary, which is what makes this forum interesting.

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post

You are speculating. Nothing wrong with that, we all do it. You can't call it "fact", unless you have met Spock, interviewed him, and he told you what he meant. Then you can say it's fact.

Until then, you are following the definition of "speculating". Your "interpretation" is fine, and no one will say you're wrong. But yours is no more right or wrong then mine.

Please remember that this is a fictional show, and the stories were told to show us our lives from a different perspective. Interpretations will vary, which is what makes this forum interesting.
Damage-

Do you have Spock's number? Is interplanetary long distance a diffrent charge?

LOL-Just teasing you.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Damage-

Do you have Spock's number? Is interplanetary long distance a diffrent charge?

LOL-Just teasing you.
LOL. Unfortunately, with the way I've seen some people talk on this forum, I think they may actually think they do have Spocks number, and have been in constant communication.

And I wonder, would there communication with him be with two-way video? It exists now, and in Spocks time, but not in between. How do they communicate with each other! AHHHHHHH CANON!!!!!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
LOL. Unfortunately, with the way I've seen some people talk on this forum, I think they may actually think they do have Spocks number, and have been in constant communication.

And I wonder, would there communication with him be with two-way video? It exists now, and in Spocks time, but not in between. How do they communicate with each other! AHHHHHHH CANON!!!!!
"Hello? Is this Mr. Spock? Yes, you don't know me but..." LOL

Why yes, and here's the new AT&T "Cannon" commnication system!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Yes, I agree with this. Saq, unless you met who wrote that line or spoke to Nimoy about what it implicitly meant then you are in the same boat as all the rest of us, speculating on the implications of the line and what he's saying is vague, it only draws a partial picture of the state by which this war a century ago was conducted. 'Atomics', 'no visuals', 'primitive ships', are only loose descriptions of how the war was fought, not concrete facts, they do not show us a clear and definite picture of the war itself and we do not even know the context of Spock's references, he's summing up a very complex war, that happened a hundred years ago in one sentence. That's all you can say for the context. There's certainly room for interpretation which is exactly what Enterprise did.

I could throw up a dictionary definition of every word in Spock's quote there and it still wouldn't support my view of what is actually said cause it is vague. Enterprise took the meaning one way and I buy it, even though my original impression was that he meant all ships were without visual communication. It's a line with room for interpretation.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 04-16-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Yes, I agree with this. Saq, unless you met who wrote that line or spoke to Nimoy about what it implicitly meant then you are in the same boat as all the rest of us, speculating on the implications of the line and what he's saying is vague, it only draws a partial picture of the state by which this war a century ago was conducted. 'Atomics', 'no visuals', 'primitive ships', are only loose descriptions of how the war was fought, not concrete facts, they do not show us a clear and definite picture of the war itself and we do not even know the context of what Spock's references, he's summing up a very complex war, that happened a hundred years ago in one sentence. That's all you can say for the context. There's certainly room for interpretation which is exactly what Enterprise did.

I could throw up a dictionary definition of every word in Spock's quote there and it still wouldn't support my view of what is actually said cause it is vague. Enterprise took the meaning one way and I buy it, even though my original impression was that he meant all ships were without visual communication. It's a line with room for interpretation.
Yes, and everything we've speculated can fit into that speech with no problem. Why? because it was vague so there could be a story or more info later.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Yes exactly, it reads like a brief outline of the elements this war was fought under, 'atomics', 'no visuals', 'primitive by our standards'. To me, they read more like notes than facts, generalizations. If the episode had a scene where they further speculated about the Romulans a century ago we'd probably have a more concrete picture set out for us and some of these issues we're debating would be, as Saq suggests, set out in facts, though I believe everything Spock lays out in that sentence is only a vague description of what happened a century ago.

Obviously Spock knows what he's talking about, he just doesn't lay it out in facts cause, well he's on the bridge about to meet an alien race they hadn't seen in a hundred years and the last time they met them, they were at war, so he's generalizing the situation cause they're in a bit of a tight spot! If it were Data, he'd probably lay out the whole history of the war and Picard would have to tell him to shut up!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"