The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Two Star Trek actors playing serial killers...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 05:39 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Two Star Trek actors playing serial killers...

I don't know what the chances of that happening were in the first place but I recently started watching the amazing TV show "Criminal Minds" and within the same week (I'm watching it from the beginning) I saw both Wil Wheaton and Ethan Phillips playing serial killers... Not exactly something I would have expected them to do so it was rather interesting and strange to see.

Has anyone else here seen those episodes? The one with Ethan Phillips is from Season 1 (ep. 17) and the one with Wil Wheaton is from Season 4 (ep. 4).

Old 08-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Federation Councillor

No 'Criminal Minds' isn't shown widely in the UK. I think some channels have it, but I've never really seen much of it.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Commander

I can see Phillips as a child sex offender, or a female stalker type. Phillips can have a pretty dark look and demenor, remember when Neelix got pissed? What makes him seem silly as a killer is his voice, which sounds like it belongs on a clown.

Wil "Just a Geek" Wheaton as a serial killer? That's really hard to buy into unless he's a home-made bomb frustrated Geek domestic terrorist type or an extreme fan celebrity killer.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

Not to mention Quinto as Syler on Heroes. He does an incredible job on that show.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I can see Phillips as a child sex offender, or a female stalker type. Phillips can have a pretty dark look and demenor, remember when Neelix got pissed? What makes him seem silly as a killer is his voice, which sounds like it belongs on a clown.

Wil "Just a Geek" Wheaton as a serial killer? That's really hard to buy into unless he's a home-made bomb frustrated Geek domestic terrorist type or an extreme fan celebrity killer.
Phillips played a vigilante type of killer (much like Dexter) and we couldn't see his face for most of the episode because he was wearing a hoodie and we never heard him talk until the very end.

Wheaton's character was pretty bad... He would lure couples at the back-road motel he owned in the middle of nowhere, only to lock them up in their room, rape the woman in front of her husband, kill them and leave them dead in their car on the road so they would get hit by passing trucks. And you're right, it was hard to buy it coming from Wheaton but I wonder if my judgment would have been as biased if I didn't know who he was in the first place...

Old 08-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Federation Councillor

For fans, he's really got that teenager image down. I totally forget when watching TNG season 1 these days he's now in his 30s!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Not to mention Quinto as Syler on Heroes. He does an incredible job on that show.
Andrew Robinson used to be best known as "Scorpio Killer" from Dirty Harry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
Phillips played a vigilante type of killer (much like Dexter) and we couldn't see his face for most of the episode because he was wearing a hoodie and we never heard him talk until the very end.

Wheaton's character was pretty bad... He would lure couples at the back-road motel he owned in the middle of nowhere, only to lock them up in their room, rape the woman in front of her husband, kill them and leave them dead in their car on the road so they would get hit by passing trucks. And you're right, it was hard to buy it coming from Wheaton but I wonder if my judgment would have been as biased if I didn't know who he was in the first place...
Oh, I remember the Phillips episode... I did't even realize it was him. He was OK in it... maybe because we didn't actually see much of him. I can't stand him as Neelix.

I didn't see the Wheaton episode. I wonder what he looks like now? Is he the 'eternal teenager' or does he look more mature?

Last edited by DevilEyes : 08-17-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Yes, except that Quinto can easily channel that quiet, creepy intensity that's necessary to be believable as a psychopath. I haven't watched him on Heroes yet but just by seeing some of his pictures, I have no problem believing that he would make a great serial killer. But Ethan Phillips and Wil Wheaton? Not so much...

Last edited by Lady Vaako : 09-04-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yep, Robinson specialized in playing the creepy, psychotic characters. That's why he was perfect for Garek, there was always a little more going on beneath the surface and he was able to bring that across.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
Yes, except that Quinto can easily channel that quiet, creepy intensity that's necessary to be believable as a psychopath. I haven't watched him on Heroes yet but just by seeing some of his pictures, I have no problem believing that he would would make a great serial killer. But Ethan Phillips and Wil Wheaton? Not so much...
Hard for me to think of Wheaton as anything other than the kid from Stand by Me and Wesley.