The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > 100 days
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 05:40 AM
Federation Councillor

Default 100 days

Saturday (today) marks 100 days that Star Trek has been in release (OK, 101 if we count the previews on the 7th!!) and I thought it could be fun to do a mock 'first 100 days' style thoughts and feelings thread!

There's been a lot of differing opinion and feeling on the film since it came out and now that a little bit of time has passed and we've all seen it at least the once (who has the record for most viewings again!), I wonder now that the dust and fanfare has settled what folks were thinking.

I think the film has done a lot of good. It's attained the magic feat of wide-popularity and widespread acclaim. Something that most of the last few films have hoped for but only The Voyage Home really did well, although FC also worked better than some in that regard.

There's been a lot of discussion about whether it's Star Trek or not, but I think that it's no worse than the poorest episodes that TOS put out and while not the finest script it really does have more to offer than a single viewing might suggest.

I've found it improves each time I've seen it, but clearly most of the work in the script went into the characters (wise choice IMO) and it's now to be hoped that the sequel adds some meat onto the fine new skeleton that Abrams and Co have built. The plot of the film was pretty silly (again, often seen in Star Trek) but more substance would be nice next time around.

When I first saw it, I rated it around a 8.5/10. After the last few months discussions here and thinking over it some more, I'm keeping it at that rating.

So, hopefully, over to someone else..........

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-15-2009, 06:30 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Saturday (today) marks 100 days that Star Trek has been in release (OK, 101 if we count the previews on the 7th!!) and I thought it could be fun to do a mock 'first 100 days' style thoughts and feelings thread!

There's been a lot of differing opinion and feeling on the film since it came out and now that a little bit of time has passed and we've all seen it at least the once (who has the record for most viewings again!), I wonder now that the dust and fanfare has settled what folks were thinking.

I think the film has done a lot of good. It's attained the magic feat of wide-popularity and widespread acclaim. Something that most of the last few films have hoped for but only The Voyage Home really did well, although FC also worked better than some in that regard.

There's been a lot of discussion about whether it's Star Trek or not, but I think that it's no worse than the poorest episodes that TOS put out and while not the finest script it really does have more to offer than a single viewing might suggest.

I've found it improves each time I've seen it, but clearly most of the work in the script went into the characters (wise choice IMO) and it's now to be hoped that the sequel adds some meat onto the fine new skeleton that Abrams and Co have built. The plot of the film was pretty silly (again, often seen in Star Trek) but more substance would be nice next time around.

When I first saw it, I rated it around a 8.5/10. After the last few months discussions here and thinking over it some more, I'm keeping it at that rating.

So, hopefully, over to someone else..........

i wouldnt be surprised if it actualy snatch the oscar for best movie
its so well directed,Abrams incorporated all the good elements of star trek.Time travel which is a difficult theme,good actors and dazzling visuals,for me its the best star trek movie ever.i rate it higher that twok and first contact.9.8/10
Old 08-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Lieutenant

I'd lost hope that TOS Trek would ever be anything more than sporadic book releases and reworked DVDs. But, now, it lives again- I think that's terrific!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
I'd lost hope that TOS Trek would ever be anything more than sporadic book releases and reworked DVDs. But, now, it lives again- I think that's terrific!

Same here Brother! It didn't seem possible...but J.J. did the impossible, and brought it back! Star Trek LIVES!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Lieutenant

Ron Moore: It's about the characters, stupid.

This film understands that line entirely. After all that this new movie could have been lackluster in, I think the main feeling I came away with is just pure joy at the dignity the filmmakers restored to Star Trek as a franchise, Scotty's l'il buddy character aside.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Shaw View Post
Same here Brother! It didn't seem possible...but J.J. did the impossible, and brought it back! Star Trek LIVES!!!!!!
Same for me. JJ brought Trek back from the dead.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Midshipman

Good assesment. I concur. Character development was key to re-introduce all the characters and their growth. The issues during upbringings of Spock and Kirk are those that many folks can relate to when they were young. The scenes at the end of the entire crew on the bridge, start their exploration on was a great ending to a new beginning.

Yes, next is to really put this crew to the test!

Besides characters though, the moments for showing off our beloved 1701 (as a "hot rod") was cool - key to many of us fans who love the ships as well.

I give it 8.5 out of 10 for most of the film. However, the first 10 minutes of the film is as powerful as it gets and does justice to introduce the lengendary Jim Kirk, and that elevates my rating to 9.5/10 overall.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Vice Admiral

I just got back from the third time ive seen Star Trek! Still great, still strong, as the theater was still full!! I told a kid i was going to see trek, (He didnt know this was my third time) and said trek was awesome.. LOL.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's still showing at one of my local theaters. I might just have to go see it for the 4th time.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:43 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
Ron Moore: It's about the characters, stupid.

This film understands that line entirely. After all that this new movie could have been lackluster in, I think the main feeling I came away with is just pure joy at the dignity the filmmakers restored to Star Trek as a franchise, Scotty's l'il buddy character aside.
Agreed

courtesy of Saquist