The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Where is Robert April?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Agreed, but lacking contradictory information which proves it wrong, it's the most updated info we have to go on at this point.
There is no reason to doubt that April won't be at least mentioned. It was GR who created April (actually, Picard was based on his idea for April). Bob Orci has stated that he's a major fan and the Trek encyclopedia for this film when it comes to canon and has also stated he feels many elements from some of the more major novels are canonical, one novel not only places George Kirk on the Enterprise's first and covert mission with April but also has the elder Kirk giving her her renowned name (this was written before ENT). Orci also believes that there are at least elements of TAS that are canonical as well. This will be his and JJ's chance to make many moments from the great Trek novels and from TAS complete and undisputed canon.

There is a very real chance that this history and April will be canonized with at least a mention.

CE
Old 03-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Commander

Not to throw off the subject, but they did just show The Apple from the Remastered series on TV, and the father of one of the redshirts that died helped Kirk get into the academy. So will that character be in too?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

Btw, welcome Colony, good posts so far.

My larger point was that, so far, we have no evidence April will appear. That can change tomorrow... or next January... of course.

The writers and Abrams certainly have the pre-Pike gap of history to fill in, which is pretty much a blank slate. A mention of April? Sure, entirely possible. I was disagreeing more with the prior sentiment that "Robert April HAS to be in this film!"

As is already being noted, there's a limited amount of screen time in this film, and we're already told the center of it will focus on Kirk and Spock. Given the large cast of characters already, I can't see how Abrams will unspool lots of film on Robert April. Even with his appearance in TAS, I'm not sure the character can fit into this film's plot without being a sidebar distraction. A quick reference, on the other hand, would fit just fine if we're skipping along the history of the Enterprise as the story progresses toward the Kirk era.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie View Post
Not to throw off the subject, but they did just show The Apple from the Remastered series on TV, and the father of one of the redshirts that died helped Kirk get into the academy. So will that character be in too?
You are correct my friend. I saw The Apple last night and caught the comment when the redshirt (ensign Mallory) died. Kirk visibly upset told McCoy "His father helped me get into the academy". I was wondering if anyone caught it (especially the films writers Orci & Kurtzman) too because in the film the actor Tyler Perrys character is head of starfleet academy and wants to expel Kirk from the academy after being caught cheating on the Kobyashi Maru.

Last edited by Captain Pike : 03-04-2008 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:19 AM
Federation Councillor

Pike-

I hadn't heard that possible story line before. Sounds cool.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pike View Post
. . . in the film the actor Tyler Perrys character is head of starfleet academy and wants to expel Kirk from the academy after being caught cheating on the Kobyashi Maru.
I haven't heard that one, Pike. Is there a linkable source for it? Interesting.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Federation Councillor

Personally I think Apirl is on Wrigley's Pleasure Planet, hanging with the Orion slave girls...
Old 03-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

As of now, I do not consider April as canon. However, I will be pleased with either approach they take: canonizing him with a mention, or ignoring him completely.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Federation Councillor

Pxer-

good point.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Ensign

Fanboy or not it could be cool to see him mentioned and in the Okuda book History of the future while it is not strictly canon does show a black and white photo of Capt. Robert April played by none other than Gene Roddenberry. So, does anyone know if Rod has been asked to participate.That would be a nice homage.