The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > A Star Trek Oscar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default A Star Trek Oscar

What is everyone expecting for this film?Does anyone suspect Abrams is going for an oscar ward winning plot.Will it be in contention for SFX and wardrobe?This is a big name director he doesn't do much in the way of so so movies. Perhaps this is what he's shooting for and this is why he's restructuring everyting visually so that it will appeal to more than the fans.Is this smart?Is it a downfall of the fill? Your thought?

Old 03-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Given Academy nomination trends, TREK will likely be a lock to get nominated for the technical categories: art direction, costumes, makeup, visual effects, sound effects design and editing.

I think it has a good shot at getting nominated for its score, since Giacchino was nominated this year, but that depends what it's up against. Same could go for film editing and cinematography, given Abrams' past examples.

Impossible to guess how it might do in the major categories: picture, actors, directing, screenplay. Almost impossible to handicap its chances there without the film being released.

But the top list alone would give it 6 nominations, which was near the top of the "most" for the 2007 awards.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Ensign

Don't hold your breath except for the technical awards that MissionTrek08 mentioned. Sci-fi has always been the red-headed stepchild of the film industry when it comes to recognition for achievement. Up until LOTR, fantasy was as well.

Some films have gotten noms but never won. Just ask Spielberg and Lucas (for the original Star Wars not those horrid excuses for films Lucas called the prequels).

I would love to see this film come out and be as epic and inspired as I hope it will be and see it receive critical and fan acclaim as well as Oscar noms, but if it hits all points but the noms, I'm happy as happy can be.

CE
Old 03-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

CE, I was only speaking to NOMINATIONS for those awards, not guaranteeing wins. The technical nominations seem quite likely, given past Oscar history. Naturally nothing is a lock this far out, which is why I attached the "depends what it's up against" caveats.

It would be impossible to handicap nominations for 2008 films this early, so predicting 2009 is just guesswork... which is what the original post was asking for.

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Captain

I am thinking that he just wants to make a great film. Trek provides the framework to do that.

I am not sure that the Oscars can be considered a serious awards ceremony these days. At least not all the time.

Imagine giving Michael Moore an award for Bowling for Columbine when he deliberately cut Three speeches of Charlton Heston to make him say something that he did not say. A vile and disgusting act and Moore gets rewarded for it. This is not serious stuff.

Or remember the black theme? How racist. Denzel Washington has always been a first rate actor and worthy of an academy award for a number of his roles but to give it to him for a dud film like Training Day just to fit in with a theme demonstrates that these awards are motivated by things other than an unbiased view of the individual films.

It would be silly therfore to do a film that may or may not fit next years flavor.

Last edited by Chris Fawkes : 03-02-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Other than effects, this will never happen.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Have faith in the heart, man!
Goin' where my heart will - (Ready Room stops himself and clears his throat)

sorry...Don't know where that came from.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBElliott View Post
Other than effects, this will never happen.
Do I assume you refer to a possible Oscar win, not nominations?

Old 03-21-2008, 03:34 AM
Federation Councillor

I doubt that the film will get an oscar, good box office? yes! an osacr, doubtful..
Old 03-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Ensign

The Academy does not traditionally like sequels for big awards.