The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Am I Stupid or just unobservant?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Captain

Speaking of absent-minded.
Has anybody noticed the logical plothole and Janeway's immense hypocrisy in that episode ?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:05 AM
Admiral

The hypocrisy being that she wants to be returned to her time but stay in the Alpha quadrant?
I think that would be a request worth making if you had a 60-70 year journey ahead of you.
What was the logical plothole?

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 08-11-2009, 03:45 AM
Captain

No, I meant that janeway gave Sterling moral lectures ad nauseam about how wrong it is
to use future technology and how it would affect the timeline, although Sterling at least could argue that it would be used to the benefit of whole mankind.
But after that Janeway forgot all about that and did exact the same thing by keeping the mobile emitter, and not for sake of a single human, but because a computer program would "feel" a little more comfy.

I wonder why temporal police never busted her butt for that, but probably she swept them out of existence by altering the timeline.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:05 AM
Admiral

Ah yes. I see what you mean. That was a tad hypocritical but she had been trying to find a way to make the doc mobile so he could help people who were ill or injured anywhere on the ship or even on away missions. Had Voyager not been pulled into the Delta Quadrant, she would have had a humanoid doctor, not a hologram so she was just looking after her crew... it could be argued.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 08-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

Temporal Investigations never stopped her from upgrading Voyager with future technology... the one reason why I don't like Endgame.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 08-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Admiral

I'm surprised the 29th Century timeship did not go back and sort that and stop the elderly Janeway going back in time. Maybe they could make a movie correcting that. And they find their own way home.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Captain

I just finished watching it again, I think this is my third time, maybe fourth, and I just caught it! I had to go back and make sure it was Ed Begly Jr. with a hippie wig on! So i'm like you. But, in our defense, I notice different things everytime I watch a particular episode.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

Temporal investigations is a storyline better left on the shelf. It was a good idea for a couple of stand alone episodes, but it's not something you want to be handcuffed too everytime you write a story. This is the kind of thing that led to a reboot.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Admiral

To Beetlescott: Thank heavens I wasn't the only one. I know what you mean about noticing something new every time.

To Cpt Tom: I quite agree. We all need a little bending of the temporal prime directive in our lives.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
To Beetlescott: Thank heavens I wasn't the only one. I know what you mean about noticing something new every time.

To Cpt Tom: I quite agree. We all need a little bending of the temporal prime directive in our lives.
Yeah, I liked them in Troubles and Tribulations (one of my favorite episodes), but for the most part there existance is to limiting for the storytellers. I feel the same way about the 29th century timeships. Although, I enjoy the episodes that feature them, I don't want them to show up everytime there is a time traveling episode either.

Sometimes these things are best just left to a few stand alone episodes in my opinion.