The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > McCoy's starfleet history, what's known about it?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2008, 12:38 PM

Default McCoy's starfleet history, what's known about it?

My big question is; was he on the Farragut with Kirk? In "The Corbomite Maneuver" when Bailey gets nervous and jittery, McCoy reminds Kirk that he was once a brash young rookie ensign like Bailey, so they knew each other early in their careers,and that tends to lead me to believe that while Spock was serving on the Enterprise under Captain Pike, Kirk and McCoy were more than likely serving together on the Farragut. Then when Kirk was given command of the Enterprise, he more than likely requested that his old buddy McCoy be brought over as ship's surgeon. It might be thin, but it's logical and a simple enough way to bring together the timelines. Since this film is about the years prior to TOS, i believe this to be a valid question.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
My big question is; was he on the Farragut with Kirk? In "The Corbomite Maneuver" when Bailey gets nervous and jittery, McCoy reminds Kirk that he was once a brash young rookie ensign like Bailey, so they knew each other early in their careers,and that tends to lead me to believe that while Spock was serving on the Enterprise under Captain Pike, Kirk and McCoy were more than likely serving together on the Farragut. Then when Kirk was given command of the Enterprise, he more than likely requested that his old buddy McCoy be brought over as ship's surgeon. It might be thin, but it's logical and a simple enough way to bring together the timelines. Since this film is about the years prior to TOS, i believe this to be a valid question.
Trouble is there is no 'official' canon source or even an agreed-upon backstory for McCoy's character. There are some general assumptions made -- he graduated medical school around 2253, roughly the same time Kirk was in still in the Academy and serving aboard the Republic -- but nothing which pins down who knew who when. It appears Kirk likely might not have had a chance to know McCoy before he grads the Academy in 2254 because their pursuits were so different. But after that, as Kirk signs aboard the Farragut, anything is possible.

McCoy isn't "officially" aboard the Enterprise until 2266 because of the timing of his first episode, but even that date is not concrete. Bones reminding Kirk he was once a young ensign doesn't imply at all that McCoy knew him as an ensign, it's just an indicator of his role as personal advisor in Kirk's life and command. That, and Kirk is assumed to be a lieutenant by the time he serves aboard the Farragut, not an ensign.

In short, the field is wide open for the new film to fill in more of their backstory.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-02-2008, 01:07 PM

Yes, all we really know about him is that he was from the southern United States area, Georgia i think, and that he once was in love with Nancy Crater who called him "plum". But i swear in "The Corbomite Maneuver" he said he actually remembered a brash young ensign named Kirk, and not just that Kirk was one once.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

Well, watching that episode on CBS.com (if you're in America) will help provide that quote clue.

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-02-2008, 01:19 PM

I've got it somewhere around here in a pile of stuff, i just have to dig it out. I'll get back to you on it.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:21 PM

You were correct, the reference was vague. The quote was pretty close to this:
McCoy: "See something in him that you once saw in yourself, say about 11 years ago?"
It's as thin as dishwater.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

Great that you looked it up, Berengarius! The quote may be thin as you say, but so much of the early history of these characters remains unwritten (so far), that many, many possibilites remain open.

As I read, co-writer Roberto Orci is quite the TREK expert (certainly among a group fans of various levels who have created this film), so I think he's in a good position not only to keep TREK familiar, on track with canon, but also use all those wonderful loopholes to "boldly go" into backstories which aren't codified yet and will lead into the TREK history we already know.

I hate to bring up "that other film series" here, but this film has, at least, an amazing opportunity to fulfill the dramatic potential of early/pre-TOS TREK history which will only deepen the meaning of the TREK we already know and enjoy now. Lucas had that same opportunity with SW, and utterly dropped the ball, if not actually weakening the meaning of his original trilogy films. I think this "crew" will be MUCH smarter in their opportunity.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:55 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
Yes, all we really know about him is that he was from the southern United States area, Georgia i think, and that he once was in love with Nancy Crater who called him "plum". But i swear in "The Corbomite Maneuver" he said he actually remembered a brash young ensign named Kirk, and not just that Kirk was one once.

Here are a couple of links that may help. This website has Deforest Kelley being listed as having been born in Atlanta: http://www.nndb.com/geo/407/000069200/

This link gives some history on the character "Dr. McCoy": http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Leonard_McCoy
**This refers to him having been born in the south, and attending the University of Mississippi.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Federation Councillor

McCoy and Kirk serving on the Farrgut would make sense, would give them a reason to be freinds, ect.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Lieutenant

McCoy having served with Kirk on the USS Farragut makes sense... Perhaps this will be addressed in the new movie... We will have to wait and see.....