The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Alias Style Series.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default Alias Style Series.

I recently started watching the show to get some sort of idea how JJ Abrams thinks. So far I'm absoultely astounded at the level of complexity and drama. I'm working my way through each season currently at season 3 episode 10 on You Tube...

I'm mean just wow.
The third season was no where near as impacting as the first two but finally it seems it's hit the drama and espionage pretty hard. So far there hasn't been a significant let up in the writing or acting...

I'm absolutely in love with the show so far.
I didn't remember it being quite this good.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Admiral

I've never watched Alias. I've heard good things mostly. I'm a big fan of Lost and Fringe, two other Abrams shows. Been planning on checking out Alias.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 10-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

I avoided LOST when it was out it looked too complicated.
Is it really good?

Old 10-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Admiral

I like it quite a bit. The first three seasons seem almost like a different show. When you get into the fourth season the pacing picksup quite a bit and the scifi elements really come to the forefront. It is complicated and the character flashbacks do get a bit tedious at times, but overall it certainly was a great show.

I think it's greatest strength is that it was truly a character driven show and not just a show about a bunch of strangers stranded on a mysterious island. Most of the show seemed to come from the characters and not the situations. Good writing.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

I heard not to great things about the ending of LOST, though...
Something controversial.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Admiral

I didn't have a problem with the ending. I think alot of the controversy and peoples' problems with how it ended came out of expectation. The way it ended worked for me but it certainly was nothing like how I thought it may end. In a nutshell, the ending worked, it was just a very unexpected way to end the show and I think that's where the controversy really came from. You may hate the ending, I don't know. You watch 6 seasons of the show and may feel jipped by the way it ended, at least that's how some people seemed to feel.

But I liked it.

Alias had 3 seasons, didn't it? You must be getting near the end of it right?

Old 10-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think it was 6 seasons. I had no idea it had gone for that long. I paid almost no attention to it after season 2. I loved the Irina Derevko character so much that I disappointed when she didn't come back.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I've never watched Alias. I've heard good things mostly. I'm a big fan of Lost and Fringe, two other Abrams shows. Been planning on checking out Alias.
Abrams is a funny one for me to comprehensively call, but for the most part I like his stuff.

In the pro-corner I'd put Alias, Fringe, Mission: Impossible III and Star Trek. Those obviously are also heavily representative of the writing work of Orci & Kurtzman as well. I've not seen their new version of Hawaii 5-0, but I hear they have another new horror genre TV show that got greenlit recently called Locke & Key based on some sort of graphic novel if I read it correctly.

I never got into Lost but to be honest I'm not sure I would really call that 'an Abrams show' as such. He seemed to be involved a lot in the early days but mostly the show seemed to get run by Lindelof day-today etc

Although it does bear several of his hallmarks (sci-fi genre, heavy mythology, mystery, misdirection, strong characters, silliness and top notch production quality) that's for sure. Ancillary projects like Cloverfield are in-between. I liked Cloverfield on a basic level..........what I saw of it, but the shaky-cam made me nauseous so I only could get through it the once.

I've never seen some of Abrams shorter lived shows, or some of his earlier films where he was more script-writer for hire etc

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I think it was 6 seasons. I had no idea it had gone for that long. I paid almost no attention to it after season 2. I loved the Irina Derevko character so much that I disappointed when she didn't come back.
5 seasons.......with the final one abbreviated due to Garner's first pregancy.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I had no idea it went on that long. Been meaning to check it out for some time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Abrams is a funny one for me to comprehensively call, but for the most part I like his stuff.

In the pro-corner I'd put Alias, Fringe, Mission: Impossible III and Star Trek. Those obviously are also heavily representative of the writing work of Orci & Kurtzman as well. I've not seen their new version of Hawaii 5-0, but I hear they have another new horror genre TV show that got greenlit recently called Locke & Key based on some sort of graphic novel if I read it correctly.

I never got into Lost but to be honest I'm not sure I would really call that 'an Abrams show' as such. He seemed to be involved a lot in the early days but mostly the show seemed to get run by Lindelof day-today etc

Although it does bear several of his hallmarks (sci-fi genre, heavy mythology, mystery, misdirection, strong characters, silliness and top notch production quality) that's for sure. Ancillary projects like Cloverfield are in-between. I liked Cloverfield on a basic level..........what I saw of it, but the shaky-cam made me nauseous so I only could get through it the once.

I've never seen some of Abrams shorter lived shows, or some of his earlier films where he was more script-writer for hire etc
Yeah, I think Abrams sort of moved away from the day to day writing and direction of Lost after the first season. Pretty much just kept his name attached.

I gotta check out this Lock and Key, haven't heard anything about it. I've been watching Hawaii 5-0. It's pretty good. Fun, that's how I'd describe it. Not too deep, doesn't take itself too seriously yet, just a fun show.

Last edited by Livingston : 10-29-2010 at 06:18 PM.