The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > These Are The Voyages...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2008, 02:09 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Default These Are The Voyages...

Okay, I'll probably be hung, burned at the stake, shot by firing squad, stoned, and beheaded for saying this, but did anyone else absolutely LOVE the Enterprise finale? To me, that was the best Trek I had seen since
FIRST CONTACT, and I actually teared up at the end, when I heard Archer say "To BOLDLY GO WHERE NO ONE HAS GONE BEFORE!" since that was the moment I'd been waiting for since TNG went off air; those words, from a new Captain, were like Ice Water to a man who has spent 30 years in the Sahara eating cactus meat. And then it was all over, and I broke down and cried.
Trek was dead, and to me, it seemed gone forever.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Rear Admiral

The idea of the episode was not bad, but what really made Fans upset was that they made the final ENT episode a TNG episode. And also gave the suggestion that the 4 years we saw was just a Holodeck Program.

The writers could have done the same story, but have T'Pol tell the story of the final mission decades later to either a class, new captain, or to her grand kids.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Ensign

I liked the final episode, could have been better but it was sufficient. The best part was the ending with the 3 Enterprise captains.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Lieutenant

Loathed it. I'll agree w/Cmdr Tovo, the ending was nice. I'd have liked to have seen a 5th season (given how strong season 4 was) or end with the Terra Prime sequence. Tripp and T'pol's shared grief over the death of the child was POWERFUL.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:10 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Archer View Post
Okay, I'll probably be hung, burned at the stake, shot by firing squad, stoned, and beheaded for saying this, but did anyone else absolutely LOVE the Enterprise finale? To me, that was the best Trek I had seen since
FIRST CONTACT, and I actually teared up at the end, when I heard Archer say "To BOLDLY GO WHERE NO ONE HAS GONE BEFORE!" since that was the moment I'd been waiting for since TNG went off air; those words, from a new Captain, were like Ice Water to a man who has spent 30 years in the Sahara eating cactus meat. And then it was all over, and I broke down and cried.
Trek was dead, and to me, it seemed gone forever.
Ok...the ending does get to me (and I resent that...)
However, as Sir Nums said...and Jolene Blalock as well...the cast and crew deserved better than their finale being a TNG episode.

And they didn't have to kill off Trip...
Old 03-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPutz View Post
Ok...the ending does get to me (and I resent that...)
However, as Sir Nums said...and Jolene Blalock as well...the cast and crew deserved better than their finale being a TNG episode.

And they didn't have to kill off Trip...
Agreed here as well. A better story would have been one of the characters at some future date retelling the story. T'Pal at the launch of the Constitution class Enterprise would have been a nice touch......
Old 03-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Lieutenant Commander

That part right at the end where all the captains do the "These are the voyages..." intro actually got me all weepy. But everything else about that episode sucked hugely and the holodeck idea was ridiculous. And they friggin' killed Trip!!! How could they?! After losing my favourite TNG character (Data), now someone else was taking away my favourite ENT character... I was not a happy camper, to say the least.

But it's okay if you liked it. I just wouldn't go as far as saying this was good Trek, though, and I was very disappointed.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Commander

As a series finale I think it was insulting to the cast of Enterprise as it was a TNG episode and the Enterprise cast and fans deserved better. I agree with others that have posted above that it should have been one of the Enterprise cast members telling the story instead of Riker and Troi. I think the concept of Riker and Troi telling a story about the Enterprise crew would have worked nicely if it was a story set just after "Terra Prime" and was a regular episode or season finale. My other complaint about the series finale was Trip's death: 1. Trip was my favorite character and I didn't want to see him die 2. I wasn't saddened by his death because A. it was a holodeck simulation, so is that really what happened? B. it wasn't a well handled death scene in my opinion. I didn't feel a sense of loss. I get what they were trying to do with this episode but overall it wasn’t handled well in my opinion.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I thought the ending was fine, and it was just unfortunate that the series was cancelled. The ending was emotional for me too, but I don't think they could have come up with a better end for the series, since it ended probably 3 years too early.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Ensign

The only thing I'd change about this episode is that I'd have had Riker and Troi on the Titan instead of the Ent-D... that way their aging would have been consistent.