The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > RUMOR Trek XI interiors don't match TOS version
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Ensign

From what I'm reading from a lot of you folks here at the film forums, I don't get the impression that most of you have been to Trekmovie.com and read the plethora of info that's there about the new film.

Some of the most inspiring and hopeful stuff comes from the two articles that contain the talkback the cast and crew did from the set of the Enterprise bridge on their last day shooting on it.

These folks have got Trek well in hand and know what they're doing. Orci has stated clearly that anything that doesn't fit canon will be completely explained as to exactly why it doesn't fit (he has suggested this also applies to the ship's designs).

We all need to sit back, relax, and wait for what could well be the best Trek yet. Every member of the crew and cast is so fired up and excited about this film and that's something we haven't seen from a cast and crew since the original cast first hit the big screen!

Let's face it the last 10 years or so under B&B were nothing to write home about (except Manny Coto's last season of Enterprise).

Let's get excited here, folks! Paramount is finally giving Trek the big screen, sci-fi epic attention it's always deserved!

CE
Old 03-02-2008, 07:57 PM

I for one am terribly excited, and hopeful, and yet wary and unsure about whether the filmmakers are making subtle changes, helpful changes, or outlandish and illogical changes that don't make sense and aren't needed or desired. In the end, we all have to leave it in their hands, and take the finished product as it is, and i hope i can enjoy it without being a hyper-critical doofus. But i know i'm going to wince if they change something vital in a radical manner that is totally inconsistant with established Trek doctrine.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Ensign

People don't seem to understand.. the Ship being launched is 19 years before Kirk takes command.. the layout may be completely different inside.. it has 19 years to change..

You have 14 years with Captain Robert April, then 5 years with Captain Christopher Pike before Kirk takes command..

and how much did the Bridge layout change from Season 1 TOS to Season 2 TOS?

Upgrades and re-designs happen all the time for those ships.

so the rooms of the ship looking different is no big deal.. now changing the hull design like Abrams is doing, that needs to be explained quite a bit to where the ship looks Like TOS when the TOS timeline starts taking place.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Commander

Of COURSE the sets will be different. So will the ship, so will the style.

But then again, so was Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

So was Star Trek: The Next Generation.

If they keep with STORY canon, I'll be happy.

If things are too slavish to the original series look and feel, we'll end up with a 130+ billion dollar imitation of a low budget 1960s TV show.

Lets see what they bring. Lets be ready for the unknown.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestalence_XC View Post
You have 14 years with Captain Robert April, then 5 years with Captain Christopher Pike before Kirk takes command.
Actually, Spock says in TOS that he served under Captain Pike for "11 years, 4 months" and it's generally acknowledged that Pike completed two five-year missions in command of the Enterprise. So if anything, you might reverse those proportion of years in service.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
I for one am terribly excited, and hopeful, and yet wary and unsure about whether the filmmakers are making subtle changes, helpful changes, or outlandish and illogical changes that don't make sense and aren't needed or desired. In the end, we all have to leave it in their hands, and take the finished product as it is, and i hope i can enjoy it without being a hyper-critical doofus. But i know i'm going to wince if they change something vital in a radical manner that is totally inconsistant with established Trek doctrine.

But here lies the question: What is a "vital" change? On trekmovie.com, you have people who think the railing color in front of the viewscreen being changed is a disrespect to their childhood and to Star Trek. Is the bridge railing color vital? Many will say yes, many will say no. There are people who would even study the light flash sequence timing or pattern, and would complain if the order was wrong, or if the timing was off by .00000032 seconds. This is the kind of crowd the production people deal with.

You just have to face that this is not going to be the Trek that you grew up with. You will not be taken back to being 10 years old. I realize I have said this before. This needs to appeal to new people to bring them in.

As for the set: of course it needs to look different for a movie than it does for a TV show. That's just a given. Take Generations for example: Look at how the bridge was lit differently. Take a look at STELLAR CARTOGRAPHY!! Nobody can tell me they would have preferred that little Commander Darren globe to what was probably the sweetest TNG effect seen up to that time (till later in the movie). Plus, we did get minor set changes to the bridge.

The point is: that 60's TV set probably would not have even worked for a 60's movie, let alone will it work for 2009.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:38 AM
Midshipman

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Actually, Spock says in TOS that he served under Captain Pike for "11 years, 4 months" and it's generally acknowledged that Pike completed two five-year missions in command of the Enterprise. So if anything, you might reverse those proportion of years in service.
It's probable that Spock served Captain Pike on another starship or starbase before signing onto the Enterprise.

Now, as for the mismatched ship interiors- Have you ever heard of a "contaminated timeline?"

For example- the Ferengis contaminated our timeline when they crash-landed in Roswell, NM six decades ago. (DS9: "Little Green Men")

Perhaps a deviant time traveler (likely another Ferengi) went back in time and sold them the future schematics. (A lot of profit to be made selling anything from the future!) That would also explain why the NX-01 had a striking resemblance to the Akira-class ship 220 years its junior, and why the 2150s PADDs looked considerably more advanced than the ones from the TOS era.

An unscrupulous time-traveler altered our history and technology. Maybe it was for the better, but we would think so if this was made official by having it worked into the plot and explained.

Last edited by EgaoNoGenki : 03-03-2008 at 01:39 AM. Reason: +our
Old 03-03-2008, 05:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Well it is 2008 not 1968, it would be silly to think it would be exact.

But if it follows a good flow, or a natural progression of what was shown on ENT for technology. that would be ok.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The interiors will be different if the pictures J.J. Abrams gave www.trekmovie.com are any indication. I don't give a damn though as long as we get a good, entertaining well acted story.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Lieutenant Commander

This is a quote form Damon Linedelof taken from an interview he gave to Trekmovie.com. I posted it in another thread but I'm posting it here as well because I think those 2 lines speak volumes:

"(...) we are making this movie in 2008 and so fundamentally when you think about what does Trek look like and what does it feel like, especially The Original Series, this is going to be an entirely different animal."

I think the old guard fans who were expecting the 60s look to be back are going to be very, very disappointed.