The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > does a TREK movie [I]need[/I] the Enterprise??
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
There won't be any more reflective moments like those inside the Genesis Cave, or on Earth saving a pair of whales, or discussing life, and death with Captain Picard in the dream realm of the celestial ribbon.
Sarek and Spock talking after Spock's fisty-cuff with the bully.
Spock and Amanda before the Council Elder ticks Spock off.
Pike and Kirk's first meeting.
McCoy and Kirk meeting.
Spock and Kirk facing off at the hearing.
Spock and Uhura in the turbolift.
Kirk meets Spock Prime.
Sarek and Spock after Spock relinquishes command to Kirk
Kirk rallies the crew.
Kirk's promotion, Pike hands over command to Kirk all with Spock Prime looking on
the two Spocks meet
the final scene with the crew and them Nimoy's voice over

I would say that's a lot of those quiet moments.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I did use a !!

While I don't like the way the JJverse Trek turned out, it was a good action space adventure flick. We've been over this before.
So did I.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
Sarek and Spock talking after Spock's fisty-cuff with the bully.
Spock and Amanda before the Council Elder ticks Spock off.
Pike and Kirk's first meeting.
McCoy and Kirk meeting.
Spock and Kirk facing off at the hearing.
Spock and Uhura in the turbolift.
Kirk meets Spock Prime.
Sarek and Spock after Spock relinquishes command to Kirk
Kirk rallies the crew.
Kirk's promotion, Pike hands over command to Kirk all with Spock Prime looking on
the two Spocks meet
the final scene with the crew and them Nimoy's voice over

I would say that's a lot of those quiet moments.
Indeed. The movie had the perfect balance of "quiet moments" and action for my tastes
Old 08-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Indeed. The movie had the perfect balance of "quiet moments" and action for my tastes
Those moments are currently lost in the bedlam. Maybe if I see the film a dozen times like some of you I might have a different perspective.

Unfortunatley, being out of work since January, makes the $9.50/ticket a bit pricey.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
Those moments are currently lost in the bedlam. Maybe if I see the film a dozen times like some of you I might have a different perspective.

Unfortunatley, being out of work since January, makes the $9.50/ticket a bit pricey.
I've only seen the movie three times. I feel your pain on the out of work thing though.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
As Jim pointed out - there are many quiet moments and 'little touches' in the film.

The reason they don't immediately come to mind is that these writers know how to write a script and story that has movement and pace in it, so the film is constantly on the go.

But there's no real need for a touching scene to last two laboured minutes when an effective single minute will do.

That's the difference here.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Admiral

I thought the movie was very balanced...at least as balanced as early Trek is.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Well, it's been done -- I don't recall whether it's been done in Star Trek, but...

They wake up amnesiac in San Francisco circa 1941. Sulu is seized and taken to an internment camp for Japanese-Americans. Kirk and McCoy are both beat cops. No sign of Spock. Chekov is a foreign correspondent for a Moscow paper, part of an exchange program that had foreign correspondent Walter Duranty in Moscow, but Chekov is Duranty's counterpart over here. Uhura is assigned by the San Francisco Chronicle to be Chekov's translator. At a public launch of a new Naval battleship that Montgomery Scott worked on as part of the U.S./U/K. lend-lease program, with Kirk and McCoy keeping the crowd under control and while Chekov and Uhura are on scene for the paper, a Starfleet shuttlecraft buzzes the ship and the crowd, piloted by Spock. Our Starfleet crew's memories are triggered by the sight of the shuttle but they don't regain them fully. The story kicks into gear with them trying to puzzle out who they are, what they have in common and the meaning of the impossible aircraft they saw -- to figure it out, they go looking for Spock and then have to free Sulu all the while trying to figure out how to get home.
Personally I've always thought that stories which revolve around the
characters all having amnesia to be rather contrived. This would fit in very well to with a TV show like Voyager which was quite happy to dress everyone up in WWII costumes and ignore the fact that it made no sense. I don't think this is suitable for a movie as it would confuse the hell out of the audience and most importantly would squander vital opportunities to enjoy watching the characters we're interested in, i.e. the Star Trek ones. I don't want to watch Chekov as foreign correspondent or Kirk as a beat cop. I want to watch the crew of the Enterprise and I want to watch a movie which builds on the success of the previous one. Interesting idea though.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:55 AM
Federation Councillor

The ENT is as much a charater as Kirk and Co.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
Personally I've always thought that stories which revolve around the
characters all having amnesia to be rather contrived. This would fit in very well to with a TV show like Voyager which was quite happy to dress everyone up in WWII costumes and ignore the fact that it made no sense. I don't think this is suitable for a movie as it would confuse the hell out of the audience and most importantly would squander vital opportunities to enjoy watching the characters we're interested in, i.e. the Star Trek ones. I don't want to watch Chekov as foreign correspondent or Kirk as a beat cop. I want to watch the crew of the Enterprise and I want to watch a movie which builds on the success of the previous one. Interesting idea though.
True, a story that involved would be better suited to a novel, and then the superficial appearance of contrivance can go a long way toward mitigated by how the idea is executed. Still -- Star Trek story sans Enterprise. 'twas requested, there's a candidate.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."