The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Spoiler: Another Cast Member Added
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Bengarius, I think you might have taken the referred post too literally. I read the comment as that this new Captain would serve the "plot role" of a redshirt, meaning a relatively unknown new character who is sacrificed in action during the story, as is the history of many such examples in TOS and beyond.

So, perhaps think "redshirt" as a character who dies quickly but with whom the audience never connects, versus a ranked character who literally wears a red uniform. Often the two coincide, but not necessarily.

Also, the TREK films have a somewhat troubling weakness about introducing...er, ineffective... um... okay, let's call it... lame new Captain characters who rarely figure into the actual story plot -- Harriman and Styles leap to mind. They're usually added for comic effect as the butt of jokes, and serve little dramatic purpose as characters in their own right. This sort of falls into the same fanmade category as "redshirt" characters.
Ah yes, now i understand. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
Also, that other early ship class i was talking about earlier in this thread, the one that came between the "Daedelus" and "Constitution" was known as the "Horizon" class. There are no pictures of the Horizons that i know of. It would be cool if this captain's ship was a Horizon class starship. Then we'd finally know what one looked like.
I can't find any reference to a Horizon class starship, do you remember where you saw/heard of it? All I can locate is a ship Horizon, which was a Daedalus class.

As for Kirk's backstory, so far it lists his two previous service ships as the Republic (likely during the Academy) and the Farragut after graduating, but both were Connie classes. Perhaps they'll change this, or this new Captain's ship is unrelated to Kirk serving aboard it.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I can't find any reference to a Horizon class starship, do you remember where you saw/heard of it? All I can locate is a ship Horizon, which was a Daedalus class.

As for Kirk's backstory, so far it lists his two previous service ships as the Republic (likely during the Academy) and the Farragut after graduating, but both were Connie classes. Perhaps they'll change this, or this new Captain's ship is unrelated to Kirk serving aboard it.
Google "Horizon Class Starship" and you ought to find it quickly enough.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah Horzion made a lot of history. Not all of it good.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

Ah, okay... the prominent ones seem to be upgraded to Constitutions later. I couldn't find any reference to the class in the Encyc, thanks!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Lieutenant

WHat about this class?

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Bonaventure
Old 03-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

tejgog , I think those ships from the Star Trek Space Flight Chronology are some of the best for the early age of exploration

I like the Bonaventure and the Pollux...Those were ships that show Star Fleet when through difference phases of ship construction.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:32 PM

The Bonaventure is cool, she's like a constitution compressed into the most compact form. It's an interesting design, with the primary and secondary hulls merged. I've seen pictures, but i wouldn't mind seeing some stats on that class.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Lieutenant

It looks like a logical progression from the Daedalus class.

NX class reallllllllllly doesn't fit. You go from flattened saucer to ball shaped (Daedalus), back to flattened (Bonaventure/Connie)